Tradesman’s Corner

Andrew B

Reaction score
Winter has never stopped me before unless it goes below 2 degrees....
Or it's raining hard...I have inside work on the go too ..door slappings.
Our winters here on the east coast aren't normally that bad
👏 Driving my pal nuts who needs four five days. Tons of work but it getput off despite decent weather

Rrrr

Reaction score
Lol exactly this. Takes years to build up word of mould customers who would rather pay to have it right. Re labourers my pal just needed a chance cause of his record but within a week his boss was buzzing that he wanted to learn everything and not just labour.
He thinks it’s common sense but common sense is lacking today
All of our work is mouth as we found that advertising attracted cheapskates or those shopping about for quotes and it takes too much time up for little return.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Andrew B

Reaction score
OSB - £41/sheet at the mo. Dad fell over at the price so got competitor quotes. Nope.

Your labour prices align with the quotes I’ve had for electrician, plumber and kitchen fitter. I’m getting a few more quotes for plastering, because ideally I want someone who will skim the floor as well. There are already enough dominoes in the run without adding someone else to manage. My dad can do it but it’s hard on his back and knees now he’s older. I’m preserving his joints and goodwill in case I need him to fit the kitchen… ;-) Money is running out FAST at current prices. The joists in my roof are some of the most expensive things I own.
Lol remember my Broccoli post San

Andrew B

Reaction score
Seriously I salute you all as being self employed is not for everyone and I mean that. I couldn’t hack it and my cousin who’s a good plumber just prefers to clock in for my uncles business

Andrew B

Reaction score
All of our work is mouth as we found that advertising attracted cheapskates or those shopping about for quotes and it takes too much time up for little return.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
And it does count for a lot. My dad was never capable of dealing with folk with his stammer so as I kid I remember my mother who is no duck egg, always use the same guy who we could depend on. His weather pointing done in the eighties is still fine now lol.
I Laboured for such a guy who also had a council contract and just before April every year I could not believe the jobs they would have us doing just to spend up lol. Grinding out last years pointing on schools ect.
I believe all the rest who advertise have to contend with four quotes ect

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
B762202E-1722-40B7-8B9D-6075041BB4B0.jpeg

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Nah ..block all the way.
Have you got any inside work lined up the winter yet?
I’ve got a load more work at the golf club for start of next year. I’m building the whole reception area in beech, removing walls and reshaping rooms, fitting a bathroom etc. I’m not long finished building the golf pro shop down there. Slat walled all the walls and built a big cool counter. It’s really smart. I Should of taken pics. I will next time I’m there.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Have you got any inside work lined up the winter yet?
I’ve got a load more work at the golf club for start of next year. I’m building the whole reception area in beech, removing walls and reshaping rooms, fitting a bathroom etc. I’m not long finished building the golf pro shop down there. Slat walled all the walls and built a big cool counter. It’s really smart. I Should of taken pics. I will next time I’m there.
I've got bits here and there..nowt too big though

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I've got bits here and there..nowt too big though
I’ve got a few outside jobs after this big bathroom I started today. A couple fences and a house of upvc eaves. Hopefully that will be all the outside work for this year then I will crack on with golf club start of next year.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Just finished another full bathroom supply and fit.
I took down a wall and extended the bathroom into what was the boiler cupboard. I had to move a lot of pipes and wires into the walls and floor.
Ive done everything myself with the help of my apprentice.
I like the ceiling panels with the silver strip in them. They look good with the cool white led bulbs. The extractor is much better than they used to look also.
Everything is new apart from the window. The door still needs painted.
It’s been a hassle getting all the materials for this with companies cancelling my orders because they don’t deliver to Dundee anymore.
They treat Dundee as if it’s a highland island now. Loads of places don’t deliver here now.
It’s Scotland’s 4th largest city with motorway straight here no bridges or tolls to pay.
5768D7D1-2FF1-455C-829C-A728F2DC3968.jpeg
F2878336-3701-4F67-B5B5-7DEBCED57E70.jpeg
C28680D0-0B44-44B2-AD2D-C8CCEC9A3EB0.jpeg
343DE08E-FADF-4D0C-AFFB-E814C538F18A.jpeg
1E012B23-5939-4152-A8E9-442C1395E234.jpeg

marty31

Reaction score
Just finished another full bathroom supply and fit.
I took down a wall and extended the bathroom into what was the boiler cupboard. I had to move a lot of pipes and wires into the walls and floor.
Ive done everything myself with the help of my apprentice.
I like the ceiling panels with the silver strip in them. They look good with the cool white led bulbs. The extractor is much better than they used to look also.
Everything is new apart from the window. The door still needs painted.
It’s been a hassle getting all the materials for this with companies cancelling my orders because they don’t deliver to Dundee anymore.
They treat Dundee as if it’s a highland island now. Loads of places don’t deliver here now.
It’s Scotland’s 4th largest city with motorway straight here no bridges or tolls to pay.
View attachment 69560View attachment 69561View attachment 69562View attachment 69563View attachment 69564
Nice job TFS looks great

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Ended up paying £800 plus materials (£450, bought ourselves) for the plastering. Two guys, two days. This is the start of day 2.
667F2DF6-269D-47B8-A0C2-D7798FC634E0.jpeg
3755E1B5-6686-4AD3-8FDB-0FC09474A172.jpeg

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I’ve had a look at spec and says 12” apart on ceilings. I’ve been hauled up before by clerk of works for spacing being too far apart and they weren’t near as far apart as yours.
Even at 12” apart there still doesn’t look like there’s enough