Tradesman’s Corner

Don CurlyHorny

Sang-Froid
Banned
Reaction score
A place for all trades discussion and banter, forum member questions, how to’s, best products, DIY help and top tips from all your ruftie tuftie forum tradesmen.

This arrived today from the U - S of A. It’s called the Ladder-Aid PRO. They used to make a similar product in the UK years ago called a Stairmate but stopped production. For a Decorator, handyman, keen DIYist or even a property developer, this is a brilliant tool in your armoury. This negates the need for small extension ladders, steps and long batons to access stairwell tops and ceilings. No faff and safe as houses. Couple stairwell projects for my clients and it’ll have paid itself back. Think I paid around £150 exchange rate and including shipping and charges. So excited with this. 🙂
50F9426E-2244-443A-9C8D-03C7226B6FFF.jpeg
B010EEB3-47A1-4DEC-A633-F6C04B304686.jpeg

DCH

Rrrr

Reaction score
Nowt intresting in my workshop to take pics of unless you like spanners or laptops showing fuel trims and sensor fluctuations which could put a glass eye to sleep.
I do have a 12ton press which makes a perfect catapult range with brake cleaner and wd40 lids when ive got nothing constructive to do

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

marty31

Reaction score
Day 3 - dodging rain

All render 1st coated - Sandtex Ultra smooth masonry BW. Hard graft being unpainted previously

Gutters / downpipes to be wire wheeled brushed, vactan rust inhibitor to any rust, 2 coats of Rustoleum combicolor gloss black

1 tin of wasp powder

View attachment 64275View attachment 64277
View attachment 64276
View attachment 64278
DCH
Day 3 - dodging rain

All render 1st coated - Sandtex Ultra smooth masonry BW. Hard graft being unpainted previously

Gutters / downpipes to be wire wheeled brushed, vactan rust inhibitor to any rust, 2 coats of Rustoleum combicolor gloss black

1 tin of wasp powder

View attachment 64275View attachment 64277
View attachment 64276
View attachment 64278
DCH
top work

Rrrr

Reaction score
Busy condeming an old mk4 golf gttdi to the scrap heap. Nice old and quick car but needs too much work to be economical. Customer may get the work done as she loves the car but it would be foolish in my opinion.

Rrrr

Reaction score
My mother in laws patio. She had guys in to do it and it was that bad I had to rip it up and start again. I’ve just the pointing left to do. I’m pleased considering I’m a joiner and never fitted Indian sandstone before View attachment 64291
My parents have the same stones for their patio and the pointing is an ongoing issue. The frost and ice cracks and destroys it every winter so it needs re doing once a year.

budge

Reaction score
My parents have the same stones for their patio and the pointing is an ongoing issue. The frost and ice cracks and destroys it every winter so it needs re doing once a year.

I'm enjoying watching my neighbour trying to clean his patio after having it repointed by a couple of young lads. He decided to use sealer the day after they finished rather than waiting a couple of weeks and removing the cement stains and efflorescence. He puts on some other new potion almost daily now. I can see a new patio on the horizon

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

offshore

Reaction score
First cills on with the first quoins .. all the stone laid and raked back . View attachment 64314pointed later using a hydraulic / hydrated mix.
Is that an expansion joint on the far right - I am trying to work out how you tie it together? Do you use a lime mortar for the pointing?

I didnt realise you need a stone outer facing, block, cavity and inner block wall - I just assumed it would be like a brick cavity wall.

Very basic questions to somebody who knows about it.

Thanks

lefthandup

Reaction score
Is that an expansion joint on the far right - I am trying to work out how you tie it together? Do you use a lime mortar for the pointing?

I didnt realise you need a stone outer facing, block, cavity and inner block wall - I just assumed it would be like a brick cavity wall.

Very basic questions to somebody who knows about it.

Thanks
It's a kit....so 50mm cavity...block and stone..Giving a 260 mm thick outer wall

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score

I’m using this fancy new stuff. It’s called jointing compound. £25+ a tub but worth it. It’s goes down like damp sticky sand. You brush it in them compact it down with a pointing trowel then put more in. It goes solid like stone but is a bit flexible. I will take pics later today and post them

Rrrr

Reaction score
I’m using this fancy new stuff. It’s called jointing compound. £25+ a tub but worth it. It’s goes down like damp sticky sand. You brush it in them compact it down with a pointing trowel then put more in. It goes solid like stone but is a bit flexible. I will take pics later today and post them
Think thats what hes used this year. Sika stuff in a yellow tub. Hopefully it holds up.