Totm 2020

iainmortimer

Reaction score
As I'm sure you are all aware TOTM 2019 was my first year of tying salmon flies and giving the competition a go. As a result I learned so much from you all that I genuinely feel my tying moved forward significantly more than it would have otherwise. Mind you as the saying goes the more you know, the more you realise you don't know and so I now know less than ever!

But to the point. I would hate for the competition to disappear meaning that others missed out, that we'd all in all likelihood miss the challenge each month and the level of interest it generates means many others would miss out as well. Therefore following conversation with GK and having contacted a number of you directly I have thrown my name in the hat to pick up where GK has left off. As the hat was empty at the time I appear to have gained the role! I hope that you are all willing to continue to participate.

Do I feel like my feet are in any way big enough to fill GK's shoes? Absolutely not! However, I will do my best to maintain the high standards set and so ask for your forbearance as I take up the strain and possibly make some rookie errors. I will also not promise any prizes but will keep us open to sponsorship should the opportunity arise. If anyone has any thoughts on that then please let me know.

Like GK I am no dictator meaning that I'm very open to constructive criticism and suggestions, for this competition belongs to us all. Given the fact that we are already half way through January I propose to open the 2020 competition from February. The rules will be much the same, the nature of the flies - well to a large extent that's up to you...:thumb:

Iain

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Fantastic Iain! :thumb:

Great to see that the TOTMs will continue and I'm sure we'll all support and help you as best we can.

Thank you Iain and good luck!

StuA15

Reaction score
This is great news!

After a false start last year i am starting to tie my own flies this year, and was intending to use this competition as the vehicle to improve.

Thank you for picking this up, as i am sure having seen the previous effort that goes into the organisation and stats, that this is no small venture.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Great news for the best section on the forum :nod: :cool: top man iain for taking it on :thumb: hopefully with a little more time on my hands I'll be able to participate this year

Arnold

PerryPoker

Reaction score
Well done Iain. Good for you taking it on. You'll do great! if you need any help or cant manage a particular month then just give me a shout and I can help you out.

Andrzej

Reaction score
Great news, it's excellent that the TOTM will continue. Thank you Iain! Can't wait for the first theme :)