Torrish Tube

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I have an old book at home from veniards that was printed in the 1980s simply called “500 fly dressings”.

It mostly contains trout flies but there are some salmon flies in it too.

Looking through it recently, I saw some of the tubes in it and thought I’d try a couple.

Here is my first attempt at a Torrish.

6107796C-A8DF-4BE3-A317-E9299D42F299.jpeg

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Will you please stop it jockiescott :lol: that's quality sir :thumb: and will be added to the already HUGE and ever growing list :help:

Last edited:

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Very nice indeed Jockie, did you wind a small hackle on the tube hook too? I like that👍

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
Cracker. Where did you get such nice fine black bucktail, any I can find are thick as a rope and as curly as downstairs fur? (assuming it is bucktail of course)

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Will you please stop it jockiescott :lol: that's quality sir :thumb: and will be added to the already HUGE and ever growing list :help:
Not only will you have to leave the auld bicycle down to get caught up with this tying but you might have to take a fortnight off work too and even then you won't have a dent made in that list. :lol:

Thanks LV10! :thumb:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Very nice indeed Jockie, did you wind a small hackle on the tube hook too? I like that👍
It was part of the pattern list CB. All the tubes in the book have a hackle tied round the treble. I tied this one about half way down the shank of the treble leaving the eye and the top part of the shank to enter the tube with the hackle then passing the bends of the hooks.

I might be worth have a box of tube hooks with hackles on them in your pocket. Just changing the hook could have a real difference in the appearance of the fly. Something else for me to overthink about! :lol:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Cracker. Where did you get such nice fine black bucktail, any I can find are thick as a rope and as curly as downstairs fur? (assuming it is bucktail of course)
I found it in a local tackle shop a few years ago. I liked how fine it was too. I think the label on the bag was from Bann Valley Flies in Northern Ireland. I have checked their website in the past but could only find flies for sale and not much in the way of materials.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
That's the very one! :D

Some lovely old patterns in the book. Some weird tying in it too. I tried the silver doctor Hairwing tonight. I might start a new thread on it over the weekend to get people's interpretation of how it was tied. :lol:

bankwheel

Reaction score
Lovely fly, you don't see many people fishing this type of tube these days but that would look great in the water, really like it

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Lovely fly, you don't see many people fishing this type of tube these days but that would look great in the water, really like it
Thanks Bankwheel. :)

Those were my thoughts exactly. These tu es must have worked when they were more popular and I doubt if the fish's taking habits have changed even if the preferences of anglers have. Perhaps this could be a case of "showing them something else"?

I will definitely get use this coming season, I can assure you of that. :)