Tool and Mag difference

rodbender

Reaction score
I made an enquiry to Vision to find out if there was much difference in the action between the 14 ft Mag and the 14 ft Tool this is the reply i got back.

Thank you for your enquiry. Both rods were extremely popular but I must emphasise that the Tool was always the most sought after. The Tool has a smooth, medium to fast action that is extremely user friendly and easy to get to grips with. Whereas, the Mag has a very fast action that is suited to shorter head Spey lines and shooting heads.

mc andy

Reaction score
I haven't cast the mag, but have cast the tool, that is contrary to everything I believed them the be. I thought the mag was meant to be medium fast and easy casting and the tool being faster in action. Be interested to get a cast of your mag next we meet now.

Cheers andy

MCXFisher

Reaction score
The 14 foot MAG was relatively stiff and fast, whereas the Tool loads rather more deeply. That said, the Tool has a very wide line weight span, in the case of the 14 from 34 grams to Admiralty anchor chain.

However, as is the way with all such things, the MAG family was notable for a certain lack of consistency across the range: relative to the 12 and 13, the 14 was distinctly firmer. The Tool family is more homogenous.

Kaney

Reaction score
The 14 foot MAG was relatively stiff and fast, whereas the Tool loads rather more deeply. That said, the Tool has a very wide line weight span, in the case of the 14 from 34 grams to Admiralty anchor chain.

However, as is the way with all such things, the MAG family was notable for a certain lack of consistency across the range: relative to the 12 and 13, the 14 was distinctly firmer. The Tool family is more homogenous.
Spot on with the differences between the Mag range I have all 3 and the 14‘ is a beast it’ll throw any line you want even a 7/8 30g line as I found out last week when I brought the wrong reel ?‍♂️