Toby colour

salmo76

Reaction score
I was advised the other day that flashy silver or gold tobys in clear water and sunny conditions spooks fish and it`s best to use duller lures in such conditions.

This seems to go against the traditional advice of bright conditions, bright lure. I would be interested to hear other forum members opinions.

roeboy

Reaction score
Well i know guys who would swear that plain silver is the best spinner on the marke and works in all water types ;):D

tweedbunnet

Banned
Reaction score
Toby Colour

Interesting query which tales me back a good while.

The Toby was my most successful Spring lure for Salmon and always in the 5/8 or 1 oz size. I never used the Toby Salmo which was, I think, more of a Harling lure being 1oz but even longer and broader.

Casting my mind back, I would be inclined to use a Gold or Copper Toby in dirty water whatever the overhead conditions. A Silver Toby would be for bright sky but cold water. I preferred a Zebra Toby for use one a overcast or dull day and the Brown and Copper one for what I would describe as 80/- water, i.e. nice beery looking water in brighter conditions.

I caught more on the Zebra than any other with the all Gold a close second. Never had a even a tug with other shades such as Blue and Silver or Green and Gold

I think that I was "unconsciously" following the supposed same general guides for choice of Salmon fly I would start with today if on a new river.

If spinning in the start of the season on a big strong river in February, I would certainly think about using Bright Fluo Pink, Metallic Green or Red- if they are made in those exotic shades -as well as traditional all Gold, all Silver and Zebra Tobys as I believed such lures to be good substitutes for the (old fashioned) Sprats which no one seems to use now and which I did for a few years when starting off fishing.

Hope this answers your question which.as I say, is a good one and makes you think a bit about why and what we choose to do.

Incidentally, I was an Abu Salar fan later in the year when there was a spate

tweedbunnet

Last edited:

gotoneon

Reaction score
The wife swears by silver spoons in all colours of water and catches her share of fish. I love the troutie one or copper when the water is tea coloured or "peaty". In big rivers the toby Salmo (see thread on Tackle Talk) cant be beaten IMO. Best of all IMO is the 18gm silver copper or silver / gold. On the Lomond I think they liked the green / yellow one but my mate (who I went out on the Lomond with occasionally) would'nt fish it as it was a "Celtic" toby (refernece the football club) as the big guy was a Rangers fan even if you passed boats with fish taken on this colour!!.