To Old To Drive...

simon grace

Reaction score
Prince Philip A149 crash road speed limit 'to be reduced' - BBC News

Why was he driving??
There are communities in the UK that have been trying for years to have speed reduction measures put in place but in this case a decision has been made overnight to install speed cameras etc.:wow:
Apparently he was breathalysed too. I wonder what would have been the out come if PP would have been over the limit.
Brush/Carpet springs to mind...

Rrrr

Reaction score
Ive got a customer whos 95 and still drives, i refuse to get in the car with him to drop him off unless im driving as hes a complete liability and just dangerous. His mind is still as sharp as a pin and hes a really nice bloke but his legs just dont react as quick as his mind works so hes slow on the brakes. Also he loves going fast and has had more speeding points than enough and was looking at a ban a while back but he can only walk about 10 yards with his frame, so would be housebound without his liscense as he has no family left to take him out.
Its a tricky one as he hasnt the reactions to still be driving and his love of going fast makes him dangerous but without driving he would really have no life.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
When to stop driving/tell someone to stop driving is one of the most difficult decisions to make.

One way to view it is convert the annual cost of running/owning a car (depreciation, tax, fuel, repairs, tyres, insurance etc) into taxi fares and many would be surprised how many taxi fares that would cover.

Not quite the same as having your own car but a better option than endangering lives.

Oscar

Reaction score
Really tricky one, because a man's (or woman's) independence can keep them going.

That said, I'm sure PP isn't short of chauffers!

My grandad had to be told (by my dad - not an easy conversation!) to stop driving at about 94 because he was getting down right dangerous!

Oscar

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
Where was his Royal Protection Officer?. He is not supposed to be out in public places without one.

mcminnow

Reaction score
My GP told me I must stop driving when I lost the use of my legs in 2006. Quite honestly, I haven't missed driving
at all with all the hazards there are and I'm quite happy to zip along the road at 8mph on my mobility scooter or just 4mph on the pavement if it's busy!:D
I'm sensible to accept that trying to drive with no legs is a definite no-no and would be unsafe and irresponsible.

ibm59

Reaction score
“ Ullapool News “

Fears Long Running Dukes of Edinburgh To Be Taken Off Air

Despite being one of the longest running UK comedies, there were fresh calls for the ‘Dukes of Edinburgh’ to be cancelled following yet another car crash plot yesterday. Many are now saying the series has had its day and is getting repetitive and dated, some even saying the flag is no longer appropriate and some dialogue not fitting for modern day cultural consideration and context.

“How can you drive a car whilst carrying a spear?”, said an undisclosed leading character, before jumping a set of lights then a broken closed bridge shouting “Bally hell, y’all!” and playing the famous ‘God Save The Queen’ air horns whilst disappearing into the sunset and side of another Ford Kia in good ole Norfollk County.

AADFBFA3-02F8-44CD-85EE-DFA7EF2238C7.jpeg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21259

Lots of people absolutely love driving. I am absolutely not one of them. I could gladly throw my keys in (I once went to a party where we threw our keys in) the nearest well and never have to get behind the wheel again. I hate driving but am forced to trot up about 50,000 miles per year.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Prince Philip A149 crash road speed limit 'to be reduced' - BBC News

Why was he driving??

Apparently he was breathalysed too. I wonder what would have been the out come if PP would have been over the limit.
Brush/Carpet springs to mind...

I asked the same question. Surely he's got a chauffeur.

I wonder if his insurance premium will go up?

Really tricky one, because a man's (or woman's) independence can keep them going.

Oscar

My dad had to give up driving for health reasons a few years before he died.
Hadn't driven for the best part of a year but the car was in the garage.
When he was officially told his license was being taken off him it broke his heart.
I think he knew he wasn't going to drive again anyway, but the car being in the garage gave him hope.

happy days

Reaction score
Have you ever seen such media coverage for an rta. ?

Good job the old dodger got out of it, we would've been in for a months worth.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score

9 month old baby was in the car he collided with.. hardly got a mention in the press and the landrover was replaced within hours while his subjects Q at food banks.... oh to have friends in high places :censored:

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score

9 month old baby was in the car he collided with.. hardly got a mention in the press and the landrover was replaced within hours while his subjects Q at food banks.... oh to have friends in high places :censored:

They’re not his subjects, they’re the queen’s subjects and food banks have a lot more to do with Tory austerity than the Royal Family.

Having said that, he shouldn’t be driving at 97.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
They’re not his subjects, they’re the queen’s subjects and food banks have a lot more to do with Tory austerity than the Royal Family.

Having said that, he shouldn’t be driving at 97.

Apologies for getting the semantics of his title wrong :thumb:

Ah yes Tory austerity, we're all in it together. Here's a tin of beans for you and a landrover for you.. I know where I'd rather my tax went..

But yes, 97, far too old drive. He could have killed a child and mother.

Last edited:

happy days

Reaction score

Yes, the council have agreed to lower the speed limit and install cameras at the spot, all within 24 hours.

Granada news have just said some people are calling it a miracle, Howl at the moon, no wonder people kick tellys in.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Saw that in the op by Simon... Public safety or interest only seems to matter when it affects more than the public.

I just assumed he was tipsy too tbh

Last edited:

Loxie

Reaction score

They call it an RTC now, as "accident" infers there is no one to blame. A collision involving a police car is still referred to as a polac though!

Loxie

Reaction score

I don't think his friends had a whip round! He is married to one of the richest women in the world, she could probably buy him one a week. Mind you there's a fair chance he'll need them if he keeps driving.

mows

Reaction score
The one question not being asked was does he need glasses to drive and was he wearing them.
At 97 i can't imagine he is legal to drive without glasses, yet he isn't wearing any in the picture of his orange car!!!

Cheers

Mows

Last edited:

salarchaser

Reaction score
The one question not being asked was does he need glasses to drive and was he wearing them.
At 97 i can't imagine he is legal to drive without glasses, her he isn't wearing any in the picture of his orange car!!!

Cheers

Mows

I know he has glasses, but whether he was using them at the time of the accident, who knows.

I believe he has several types, schooner, snifters, high ball, flutes........