Tippet advice

An Sionnach

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am taking up trout fishing as I am frustrated with salmon. Not giving it up just trying out the trout to get some sport. I intend going to lakes and rivers for brown trout. Ideally I would like to fish both wets and dry flies. Can someone please tell me what the full set up should be for both techniques. I have a 9ft 4/5 fly rod and I need to know what b/s and length flouro/nylon (or what should I use?) of these I should use. I assume they should be tapered so all advice wil be greatly appreciated.
Also what knot to use for droppers.
Thank you
AS

Loxie

Reaction score
It all rather depends! A good basic starting point is a 9' tapered nylon leader. I use Leeda Profil. For dries I tend to fish a 6lb tapered leader then water knot on a 3 to 5 foot tippet, usually froghair fluoro in 5, 6 or 7x, as appropriate to the size of the fly. For droppers I use a water knot and tippet materials and strength vary with application. For instance for traditional loch style trout I would use the same leader but with a 4lb maxima tippet with the top dropper off the leader and then the middle dropper 3' on, then the point 3' on again. For buzzers I'd have the 5x frog hair and 4 foot between the leader and the first one of three, then 4' and 4', or if fishing just 2, as is usual for me, 5' and 5'. Hope this helps.

Dryfly

Reaction score
There is at least four books to be had out of the question! I use maybe ten different leader set ups depending on the water, rod and flies I'm using. I may use 3lb maxima on its own, furled hand made leaders, tapered nylon or fluorocarbon leaders of different diameters and tippets of copolymer, nylon or fluorocarbon. Length... all depends too.

The most basic of set ups to start with for me would be

Pulling wets (size 10 to 14) on a peaty loch= 6ft clear maxima 4lb water knot dropper of about 4", 3ft of 3lb, a second dropper then 3ft of 3 to the point fly.

Dry fly fishing on a chalk stream other than sedge or mayfly ie fly size between 14 and 18. Profil Leeda x5 9 Ft (3lb) with x7 3ft tippet 1.75lb when using small flies, 20 to 32, I use a 2lb profile leader and 1lb tippet. Don't worry about getting broken, a light trout rod will only apply around 1lb strain at max, I've landed a lot of 4lb trout on 1lb line without having to play them to exhaustion.

Dry fly fishing larger flies, a hand made furled leader of 6ft, then 4ft of 4lb and a tippet of 3lb.

Nymph fishing on rivers, I don't know. Gentlemen don't do that ;-)

Loxie

Reaction score
There is at least four books to be had out of the question! I use maybe ten different leader set ups depending on the water, rod and flies I'm using. I may use 3lb maxima on its own, furled hand made leaders, tapered nylon or fluorocarbon leaders of different diameters and tippets of copolymer, nylon or fluorocarbon. Length... all depends too.

The most basic of set ups to start with for me would be

Pulling wets (size 10 to 14) on a peaty loch= 6ft clear maxima 4lb water knot dropper of about 4", 3ft of 3lb, a second dropper then 3ft of 3 to the point fly.

Dry fly fishing on a chalk stream other than sedge or mayfly ie fly size between 14 and 18. Profil Leeda x5 9 Ft (3lb) with x7 3ft tippet 1.75lb when using small flies, 20 to 32, I use a 2lb profile leader and 1lb tippet. Don't worry about getting broken, a light trout rod will only apply around 1lb strain at max, I've landed a lot of 4lb trout on 1lb line without having to play them to exhaustion.

Dry fly fishing larger flies, a hand made furled leader of 6ft, then 4ft of 4lb and a tippet of 3lb.

Nymph fishing on rivers, I don't know. Gentlemen don't do that ;-)

I think I need to find out about furled leaders.

An Sionnach

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated. Next, Google home made furled leaders :D;)
Any issues with using the water knot on heavier tippet for Salmon ?? Is it strong enough ?

Dryfly

Reaction score
Any issues with using the water knot on heavier tippet for Salmon ?? Is it strong enough ?

I've used a water knot for ever and never had any problems with it, whether just for attaching a tippet or putting a dropper in. I prefer them to using a small ring, but a lot of guys swear by the little rings. I did try them but every time I do I end up dropping the fiddly little things!

If I'm using nylon I stick to a two turn water knot, when using floro I always use three turns, just in case. if your uncertian make up a leader, pop a fly on and wedge the fly into something, then go back 15 yrds, point your rod straight at the fly and pull. See which breaks first, the knot to the fly or the leader/tippet joint.

Go and get the fly back.

Rrrr

Reaction score
4lb drennan double strength straight through for me which is probably why i never catch anything over 6oz on the fly :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Loxie

Reaction score
I've used a water knot for ever and never had any problems with it, whether just for attaching a tippet or putting a dropper in. I prefer them to using a small ring, but a lot of guys swear by the little rings. I did try them but every time I do I end up dropping the fiddly little things!

If I'm using nylon I stick to a two turn water knot, when using floro I always use three turns, just in case. if your uncertian make up a leader, pop a fly on and wedge the fly into something, then go back 15 yrds, point your rod straight at the fly and pull. See which breaks first, the knot to the fly or the leader/tippet joint.

Go and get the fly back.

The trick with rings is to tie them straight on to the leader from the clip they come in and NOT take them off until you have. The Riverge and Hanak ones come loose so I put them on the clip that comes with Vision ones, or a safety pin. I find they are great for salmon; I put one on the end of my tapered leaders and you can change tippet loads of times without needing a new leader. I don't like them for trout fishing though, preferring to water knot on tippets.

Last edited:

ian74

Reaction score
For droppers I use a double grinner knot, with one end (from fly line) passed through the middle before tightening. Lets the dropper stand out... at least before starting to fish! :eek: