Tiny grilse

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Caught a small grilse yesterday, 31/2lb, very fresh, but very thin, empty, concave belly, saw a couple more, both probably 2lb or thereabouts. The usual size on the Test is 5-6lb, is this an indicator of problems or just one of "those things" that nature throws at us???
The empty belly was probably more of a concern, would it have the necessary reserves to survive until spawning?
peter

allysshrimp

Reaction score
Caught a small grilse yesterday, 31/2lb, very fresh, but very thin, empty, concave belly, saw a couple more, both probably 2lb or thereabouts. The usual size on the Test is 5-6lb, is this an indicator of problems or just one of "those things" that nature throws at us???
The empty belly was probably more of a concern, would it have the necessary reserves to survive until spawning?
peter

Skinny Grilse have been on the go for a while now. They seem to do ok as far as getting to the spawning grounds is concerned.
Here is one I caught 3 years ago on the Don in July. would barely be over 2lb. I showed the pic to a friend of mine that day and he took it for a Kelt, later on he caught one himself.