time to start casting practice

Paul White

Reaction score
Very good, but I've always anchored the line so the rod is at about 1-2 o'clock on the forward stroke when casting at about 45 degrees. I agree have the rod vertical if fishing straight downstream (like he was doing), but then it's virtually a roll cast without change of direction.

Paul

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
Very good, but I've always anchored the line so the rod is at about 1-2 o'clock on the forward stroke when casting at about 45 degrees. I agree have the rod vertical if fishing straight downstream (like he was doing), but then it's virtually a roll cast without change of direction.

Paul

the cant of my rod on the forward stroke is generally around 20 degrees(between 12 and 1 on the clock face)sometimes my rod tip is almost vertical even on angle changes more the 45 degrees if when my fly needs to go between a narrow gap in the trees or vegetation,but if i need to cast under a low tree canopy i can open it up to 45 degrees or more(1 and 2 on the clock face)
i get you on not much point on practising switch casts as theres no change in the direction though:confused:

inco

Reaction score
I do not think it possible to learn to spey cast from a video. A good instructor will be able to not only teach correct technique but spot any mistakes. If you learn errors these will be difficult to eliminate later. It is much better to go first to an instructor.