Tie of the Month - September 2020: Going round in circles

tonymccann99

Reaction score
My first entry into a TOTM is a Gold and Orange shrimp. Apparently people have success with this pattern on the back end of the season so I will be swimming this tomorrow all being well.

I've also been tieing less than a year so I'm a newbie with a lot to learn.

-Tony

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Pubs

Reaction score
S
Hi All, I’ll go Mairi shrimp on a tube - tied some the other day on hooks for back end (and also apparently peat stained water) - autumnal colours with hints of purple, claret, yellow, orange, red and gold - so I thought I’d tie this tube version for the comp.

Tight lines, Patrick

View attachment 49517

tube: 1cm cut to size copper tube, black (1.8mm) inner and black extension tubing.
Tag: small gold oval gold
Tail: small pinch wine coloured bucktail To support middle layer of dark claret fox and then an over wing of clarety fox ( fox brushed out). (Flash: Smidge copper angel hair after bucktail, and couple strands pearl flash And orange ripple flash over the dark claret fox)
Rear body: yellow sparkle glister ( no ribbing as per vid I saw by Easky - to let it be more straggly)
Front Body: claret seal with small gold oval rib, dubbing needle after to try and make it scruffed up
Wing: orange squirrel
JC
Front hackle: winey/claret cock hackle
Head: red glo brite 3, sally HAN
Stunning fly. As a total newbie to tying salmon flies and still trying to get my head around the basics of understanding tying tube flies I really want to thank you for including the tying details as well as what the different layers are put in place for. This is a huge help for a beginners like me.
Unfortunately I won't be able to take part in this months challenge as I don't have the equipment for tying tube flies yet but I will be ordering what I need to get started as soon as I figure out what it is I need to get for tying tubes. I look forward to taking part in future challenges.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
S

Stunning fly. As a total newbie to tying salmon flies and still trying to get my head around the basics of understanding tying tube flies I really want to thank you for including the tying details as well as what the different layers are put in place for. This is a huge help for a beginners like me.
Unfortunately I won't be able to take part in this months challenge as I don't have the equipment for tying tube flies yet but I will be ordering what I need to get started as soon as I figure out what it is I need to get for tying tubes. I look forward to taking part in future challenges.
Cheers Pubs - if you want any help - this forum is the right place. As a quick guide: You'll need - and here is super simplified view of the world of what you need - different people have their own preferences, but will give you a starter for 10.

1) A tube holding device - a popular one is HMH tube adaptor - that fits into your regular vice jaws (other brands, i just mentioned what I have - Frodins - I personally wouldn't bother with buying a tube vice) - most 'kits' come with a 'tube needle' that sits in the adaptor to hold the tube

2) Tubes and 'inners'. Vast selection of tube materials - metal and plastic. There are different sizes of tubes and inners (stops the line cutting on metal tube and allows you to add a conehead) - which makes it a pain - but there is some standardisation toward a 3mm 'outer' ie the tube and a 1.8 mm 'inner' and then compatible cones.

Metal tubes - big range - for straight tubes I like buying lengths of copper/alu etc - to cut to size - but that can be a pain in the arse - so you can buy them. For likes of Frances flies - people like to use more of shaped tube - with or without a 'lip'.

Plastic tubes a lot easier - and again there is a range of sizes and colours

3) Don't always need the cones - as you can create a 'head' at the front of a tube - either on the tube or by leaving a bit of the inner poke out and burring the end slightly to create a lip - the main pain for cones is again you kind of have to stick with certain 'brands' so they are compatible with the tubes and inners.

4) Dependent on what tube - you may need a 'tube extension' at the back as a hook holder

I'm not advertising for anyone - but again, to get you started have a look at this - these are based on 3mm outers and inners

Adaptor - CHECK EBAY first - this is what I use

Plastic tubes - outers and inners :

https://www.foxy-tails.co.uk/category-99.html
or look at Sean Stanton's site

Metal Tubes:

Cones:

Extension tubing:

A couple of other places:

All the best - and welcome aboard!

Patrick

Pubs

Reaction score
Excellent information. Very helpful. Thanks very much for taking the time to help me out. This is a huge help to me. Cheers

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Excellent information. Very helpful. Thanks very much for taking the time to help me out. This is a huge help to me. Cheers

No problem - have a quick look at this as an overview of different tube styles and systems - good luck!

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
No problem - have a quick look at this as an overview of different tube styles and systems - good luck!

Lol - don't buy one of these though!

You just need something called 'scissors':LOL::ROFLMAO:

Or one of these:

You just need 'Hands'

Or one of these:

You just need a cut down toothbrush

I just panicked and thought you might buy some of the crap that's out there.

Pubs

Reaction score
Lol - don't buy one of these though!

You just need something called 'scissors':LOL::ROFLMAO:

Or one of these:

You just need 'Hands'

Or one of these:

You just need a cut down toothbrush

I just panicked and thought you might buy some of the crap that's out there.
Thanks. Good advice. I've been tying flies for trout, pike and saltwater fish for a few years and I learned that the hard way that theres a lot of unnecessary gadgets on the market. I won't be making that mistake again 😂

Woodsy

Reaction score
Cheers Pubs - if you want any help - this forum is the right place. As a quick guide: You'll need - and here is super simplified view of the world of what you need - different people have their own preferences, but will give you a starter for 10.

1) A tube holding device - a popular one is HMH tube adaptor - that fits into your regular vice jaws (other brands, i just mentioned what I have - Frodins - I personally wouldn't bother with buying a tube vice) - most 'kits' come with a 'tube needle' that sits in the adaptor to hold the tube

2) Tubes and 'inners'. Vast selection of tube materials - metal and plastic. There are different sizes of tubes and inners (stops the line cutting on metal tube and allows you to add a conehead) - which makes it a pain - but there is some standardisation toward a 3mm 'outer' ie the tube and a 1.8 mm 'inner' and then compatible cones.

Metal tubes - big range - for straight tubes I like buying lengths of copper/alu etc - to cut to size - but that can be a pain in the arse - so you can buy them. For likes of Frances flies - people like to use more of shaped tube - with or without a 'lip'.

Plastic tubes a lot easier - and again there is a range of sizes and colours

3) Don't always need the cones - as you can create a 'head' at the front of a tube - either on the tube or by leaving a bit of the inner poke out and burring the end slightly to create a lip - the main pain for cones is again you kind of have to stick with certain 'brands' so they are compatible with the tubes and inners.

4) Dependent on what tube - you may need a 'tube extension' at the back as a hook holder

I'm not advertising for anyone - but again, to get you started have a look at this - these are based on 3mm outers and inners

Adaptor - CHECK EBAY first - this is what I use

Plastic tubes - outers and inners :

https://www.foxy-tails.co.uk/category-99.html
or look at Sean Stanton's site

Metal Tubes:

Cones:

Extension tubing:

A couple of other places:

All the best - and welcome aboard!

Patrick
Brilliant post Patrick. One thing i would add is to buy a sample pack of tubing materials from fly makers. It gives about a foot of every type of liner, tube and even a few cones they do. All labelled and will help you learn what fits into what etc. I never tied a tube until a few months back and found the pack very useful

Pubs

Reaction score
Brilliant post Patrick. One thing i would add is to buy a sample pack of tubing materials from fly makers. It gives about a foot of every type of liner, tube and even a few cones they do. All labelled and will help you learn what fits into what etc. I never tied a tube until a few months back and found the pack very useful
Thanks Woodsy. That sounds perfect. Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice. I only joined this forum today and I'm really glad I did. There's a lot of very good information on here. Much appreciated.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Copper Calvin Cascade

Went a little overboard with this one :LOL:

Couldn't decide so made a mixture of both of these favourite back end flies. Our season ends this month and I doubt we will need big tubes typical of later in the autumn so I'm tying what I'll use.

Tube: 15mm super slim brass bottle tube
Tag: red wire
Tail: short yellow artic runner, 2 strands of gold flash, longer orange runner, few strands of gold angelina fibres, short red runner
Rear 1/2 body: flat copper
Front 1/2 body: mix of red seals fur (80%) and yellow lite brite (20%)
Rib: red wire
Wing: short pink runner, few strands of gold angelina fibres, longer black shadow fox tail
Hackle: sunburst yellow cock, hot orange cock
Head: UTC fire orange

CCC.jpg

ryan houston

Reaction score
My first entry into a TOTM is a Gold and Orange shrimp. Apparently people have success with this pattern on the back end of the season so I will be swimming this tomorrow all being well.

I've also been tieing less than a year so I'm a newbie with a lot to learn.

-Tony

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
a fast learner Tony as we know

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Something of my own design this month to get the colours I wanted and hopefully maximise movement by avoiding bucktail for once!

Tube: Tubeworx gold glitter outer and 1.8mm inner
Thread: 8/0 black uni
Tag and rib: small oval silver tinsel
Body 50/50: Veevus holo red tinsel/Orvis black holo tinsel. Coated with Hard as Nails after ribbing
Wing tied top and bottom in equal amounts:
- Futurefly Shadow Fox orange
- Futurefly Shadow Fox red
- Arctic Fox black
Hackle: badger soft hackle dyed orange
Cone: Tubeworx small brass black

I’m not sure if this is the final version yet and so may yet tweak it a little.

6DBE9985-4ABB-45AB-BEA1-F35D4664FB5E.jpeg

Last edited:

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
I blame coming off 4 weeks of solid 12 hour nightshifts on this effort...

Tried to get an autumnal / back end colour scheme going - poor picture but here goes

Tube: Copper 1.25"
Tag & Rib: Lagartun Med Gold oval
Body: Purple-Lilac-Red-Pink Pearl wound flash
Wing: Mixed buck - Pink, Purple, Orange, Red, Blue and Brown, few strands of copper Ripple flash and few strand of krinkle mirror
Head: Red flash under UV and Varnish

Cheers

Cb

IMAG6995.jpg

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Reminds me of a back end fish with that purple/lilac hue going on.......

Very,very nice fly.
Well done CB
Many thanks SnapT,
the photo doesn't really show the wing at it best but appreciate the feed back.
Cheers👍

iainmortimer

Reaction score
If that’s what night shifts do for your tying then I think you should ask for permanent nights on 12 hours. That is a stunning fly and the use of the crinkle flash really suits it. I may just have to go and buy a load of pink and lilac material because up until now I’ve not been a fan but that’s in another league 👍