• GaryD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nwsalar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tony Mac

Reaction score
My first entry into a TOTM is a Gold and Orange shrimp. Apparently people have success with this pattern on the back end of the season so I will be swimming this tomorrow all being well.

I've also been tieing less than a year so I'm a newbie with a lot to learn.

-Tony

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Pubs

Reaction score
S
Hi All, I’ll go Mairi shrimp on a tube - tied some the other day on hooks for back end (and also apparently peat stained water) - autumnal colours with hints of purple, claret, yellow, orange, red and gold - so I thought I’d tie this tube version for the comp.

Tight lines, Patrick

View attachment 49517

tube: 1cm cut to size copper tube, black (1.8mm) inner and black extension tubing.
Tag: small gold oval gold
Tail: small pinch wine coloured bucktail To support middle layer of dark claret fox and then an over wing of clarety fox ( fox brushed out). (Flash: Smidge copper angel hair after bucktail, and couple strands pearl flash And orange ripple flash over the dark claret fox)
Rear body: yellow sparkle glister ( no ribbing as per vid I saw by Easky - to let it be more straggly)
Front Body: claret seal with small gold oval rib, dubbing needle after to try and make it scruffed up
Wing: orange squirrel
JC
Front hackle: winey/claret cock hackle
Head: red glo brite 3, sally HAN
Stunning fly. As a total newbie to tying salmon flies and still trying to get my head around the basics of understanding tying tube flies I really want to thank you for including the tying details as well as what the different layers are put in place for. This is a huge help for a beginners like me.
Unfortunately I won't be able to take part in this months challenge as I don't have the equipment for tying tube flies yet but I will be ordering what I need to get started as soon as I figure out what it is I need to get for tying tubes. I look forward to taking part in future challenges.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
S

Stunning fly. As a total newbie to tying salmon flies and still trying to get my head around the basics of understanding tying tube flies I really want to thank you for including the tying details as well as what the different layers are put in place for. This is a huge help for a beginners like me.
Unfortunately I won't be able to take part in this months challenge as I don't have the equipment for tying tube flies yet but I will be ordering what I need to get started as soon as I figure out what it is I need to get for tying tubes. I look forward to taking part in future challenges.

Cheers Pubs - if you want any help - this forum is the right place. As a quick guide: You'll need - and here is super simplified view of the world of what you need - different people have their own preferences, but will give you a starter for 10.

1) A tube holding device - a popular one is HMH tube adaptor - that fits into your regular vice jaws (other brands, i just mentioned what I have - Frodins - I personally wouldn't bother with buying a tube vice) - most 'kits' come with a 'tube needle' that sits in the adaptor to hold the tube

2) Tubes and 'inners'. Vast selection of tube materials - metal and plastic. There are different sizes of tubes and inners (stops the line cutting on metal tube and allows you to add a conehead) - which makes it a pain - but there is some standardisation toward a 3mm 'outer' ie the tube and a 1.8 mm 'inner' and then compatible cones.

Metal tubes - big range - for straight tubes I like buying lengths of copper/alu etc - to cut to size - but that can be a pain in the arse - so you can buy them. For likes of Frances flies - people like to use more of shaped tube - with or without a 'lip'.

Plastic tubes a lot easier - and again there is a range of sizes and colours

3) Don't always need the cones - as you can create a 'head' at the front of a tube - either on the tube or by leaving a bit of the inner poke out and burring the end slightly to create a lip - the main pain for cones is again you kind of have to stick with certain 'brands' so they are compatible with the tubes and inners.

4) Dependent on what tube - you may need a 'tube extension' at the back as a hook holder

I'm not advertising for anyone - but again, to get you started have a look at this - these are based on 3mm outers and inners

Adaptor - CHECK EBAY first - this is what I use

Plastic tubes - outers and inners :

https://www.foxy-tails.co.uk/category-99.html
or look at Sean Stanton's site

Metal Tubes:

Cones:

Extension tubing:

A couple of other places:

All the best - and welcome aboard!

Patrick

Pubs

Reaction score
Excellent information. Very helpful. Thanks very much for taking the time to help me out. This is a huge help to me. Cheers

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Excellent information. Very helpful. Thanks very much for taking the time to help me out. This is a huge help to me. Cheers

No problem - have a quick look at this as an overview of different tube styles and systems - good luck!

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
No problem - have a quick look at this as an overview of different tube styles and systems - good luck!

Lol - don't buy one of these though!

You just need something called 'scissors':LOL::ROFLMAO:

Or one of these:

You just need 'Hands'

Or one of these:

You just need a cut down toothbrush

I just panicked and thought you might buy some of the crap that's out there.

Pubs

Reaction score
Lol - don't buy one of these though!

You just need something called 'scissors':LOL::ROFLMAO:

Or one of these:

You just need 'Hands'

Or one of these:

You just need a cut down toothbrush

I just panicked and thought you might buy some of the crap that's out there.
Thanks. Good advice. I've been tying flies for trout, pike and saltwater fish for a few years and I learned that the hard way that theres a lot of unnecessary gadgets on the market. I won't be making that mistake again ?

Woodsy

Reaction score
Cheers Pubs - if you want any help - this forum is the right place. As a quick guide: You'll need - and here is super simplified view of the world of what you need - different people have their own preferences, but will give you a starter for 10.

1) A tube holding device - a popular one is HMH tube adaptor - that fits into your regular vice jaws (other brands, i just mentioned what I have - Frodins - I personally wouldn't bother with buying a tube vice) - most 'kits' come with a 'tube needle' that sits in the adaptor to hold the tube

2) Tubes and 'inners'. Vast selection of tube materials - metal and plastic. There are different sizes of tubes and inners (stops the line cutting on metal tube and allows you to add a conehead) - which makes it a pain - but there is some standardisation toward a 3mm 'outer' ie the tube and a 1.8 mm 'inner' and then compatible cones.

Metal tubes - big range - for straight tubes I like buying lengths of copper/alu etc - to cut to size - but that can be a pain in the arse - so you can buy them. For likes of Frances flies - people like to use more of shaped tube - with or without a 'lip'.

Plastic tubes a lot easier - and again there is a range of sizes and colours

3) Don't always need the cones - as you can create a 'head' at the front of a tube - either on the tube or by leaving a bit of the inner poke out and burring the end slightly to create a lip - the main pain for cones is again you kind of have to stick with certain 'brands' so they are compatible with the tubes and inners.

4) Dependent on what tube - you may need a 'tube extension' at the back as a hook holder

I'm not advertising for anyone - but again, to get you started have a look at this - these are based on 3mm outers and inners

Adaptor - CHECK EBAY first - this is what I use

Plastic tubes - outers and inners :

https://www.foxy-tails.co.uk/category-99.html
or look at Sean Stanton's site

Metal Tubes:

Cones:

Extension tubing:

A couple of other places:

All the best - and welcome aboard!

Patrick
Brilliant post Patrick. One thing i would add is to buy a sample pack of tubing materials from fly makers. It gives about a foot of every type of liner, tube and even a few cones they do. All labelled and will help you learn what fits into what etc. I never tied a tube until a few months back and found the pack very useful

Pubs

Reaction score
Brilliant post Patrick. One thing i would add is to buy a sample pack of tubing materials from fly makers. It gives about a foot of every type of liner, tube and even a few cones they do. All labelled and will help you learn what fits into what etc. I never tied a tube until a few months back and found the pack very useful
Thanks Woodsy. That sounds perfect. Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice. I only joined this forum today and I'm really glad I did. There's a lot of very good information on here. Much appreciated.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Copper Calvin Cascade

Went a little overboard with this one :LOL:

Couldn't decide so made a mixture of both of these favourite back end flies. Our season ends this month and I doubt we will need big tubes typical of later in the autumn so I'm tying what I'll use.

Tube: 15mm super slim brass bottle tube
Tag: red wire
Tail: short yellow artic runner, 2 strands of gold flash, longer orange runner, few strands of gold angelina fibres, short red runner
Rear 1/2 body: flat copper
Front 1/2 body: mix of red seals fur (80%) and yellow lite brite (20%)
Rib: red wire
Wing: short pink runner, few strands of gold angelina fibres, longer black shadow fox tail
Hackle: sunburst yellow cock, hot orange cock
Head: UTC fire orange

CCC.jpg

ryan houston

Reaction score
My first entry into a TOTM is a Gold and Orange shrimp. Apparently people have success with this pattern on the back end of the season so I will be swimming this tomorrow all being well.

I've also been tieing less than a year so I'm a newbie with a lot to learn.

-Tony

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
a fast learner Tony as we know

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Something of my own design this month to get the colours I wanted and hopefully maximise movement by avoiding bucktail for once!

Tube: Tubeworx gold glitter outer and 1.8mm inner
Thread: 8/0 black uni
Tag and rib: small oval silver tinsel
Body 50/50: Veevus holo red tinsel/Orvis black holo tinsel. Coated with Hard as Nails after ribbing
Wing tied top and bottom in equal amounts:
- Futurefly Shadow Fox orange
- Futurefly Shadow Fox red
- Arctic Fox black
Hackle: badger soft hackle dyed orange
Cone: Tubeworx small brass black

6DBE9985-4ABB-45AB-BEA1-F35D4664FB5E.jpeg

Last edited:

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
I blame coming off 4 weeks of solid 12 hour nightshifts on this effort...

Tried to get an autumnal / back end colour scheme going - poor picture but here goes

Tube: Copper 1.25"
Tag & Rib: Lagartun Med Gold oval
Body: Purple-Lilac-Red-Pink Pearl wound flash
Wing: Mixed buck - Pink, Purple, Orange, Red, Blue and Brown, few strands of copper Ripple flash and few strand of krinkle mirror
Head: Red flash under UV and Varnish

Cheers

Cb

IMAG6995.jpg

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Reminds me of a back end fish with that purple/lilac hue going on.......

Very,very nice fly.
Well done CB

Many thanks SnapT,
the photo doesn't really show the wing at it best but appreciate the feed back.
Cheers?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
If that’s what night shifts do for your tying then I think you should ask for permanent nights on 12 hours. That is a stunning fly and the use of the crinkle flash really suits it. I may just have to go and buy a load of pink and lilac material because up until now I’ve not been a fan but that’s in another league ?