• GaryD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nwsalar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Welcome to the September 2020 Tie of the Month competition.

TOTM Introduction

The format of the 2020 Tie of the Month competition will remain the same as it was last year as it worked so well i.e. open to everyone, a separate section for any newcomers to salmon fly tying and all you need to do for entry is to submit a photo of a fly that meets the rules of that months theme and the eleven commandments below.

You can enter every month or just the odd few but note that points are awarded just for entering! The only exception will be December when we’ll retain voting for the 'Fly of the Year' as chosen from the winners of each monthly competition.

As a tip, the fly you think is the best dressed, best photographed and most true to the original does not always win and so don’t be put off giving it a go or trying a bit of experimentation.

September TOTM theme: "Going Round in Circles"
The final words of Lord Grey's 'Fly Fishing' (Stolen from a post by CharlieH: #16 here https://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/threads/favourite-quotes-from-angling-writers.41744/)

"Thus, as the angler looks back he thinks less of individual captures and days than of the scenes in which he fished. The exhilaration of looking at any salmon pool, great or small; the rich brownness of Highland water: the wild openess of the treeless, trackless spaces which he has traversed to search likely water for sea trout. Special days and successes he will no doubt recall, but always with the remembrance and the mind's vision of the scenes and the world in which he fished. For, indeed, this does seem a separate world, a world of beauty and enjoyment. The time must come to all of us, who live long, when memory is more than prospect. An angler who has reached this stage and reviews the pleasures of life will be grateful and glad that he has been an angler, for he will look back on days radiant with happiness, peaks and peaks of enjoyment that are not less bright because they are lit in memory by the light of a setting sun."

The circle of life and the seasons themselves provide us with many opportunities for reflection and personal growth, a time to accept what went well and what could be improved, a time to celebrate our successes and ponder our failures as we remember the season past. In feeling the fresh chill appearing in the morning air and seeing the dew sparkling and glimmering on grass and spider web amidst the brilliant spectacle of trees taking on their autumn clothing, if you are like me, you start to review the season gone as you realise it will all to soon draw to a close.

This is the natural cycle of life and that led me to this months theme. It is circular although if you expand a circle you end up with a tube. In the 'normal' course of events tubes seem to get a poor showing unless demanded by a specific pattern. This month therefore, with Autumn approaching and recent high water on many rivers, I thought we should put a focus on tubes. I have seen many VERY fine examples posted and so it would be great to see them brought together for an easy reference thread and so now is your chance!

Specific Guidance:
  • The fly must be tied on a tube
  • The tube can be metal, alloy or plastic and any length or diameter
  • I'd like to see typically Autumn colours as the focal point of the fly so shades of reds, oranges and yellows.
  • The fly can be a known pattern or something of your own design
  • As its too obvious a fly choice and has featured in a number of months already, the Francis is banned!

Eleven commandments
1. The first rule of TOTM is that everyone is welcome to enter as many or as few months as you choose. As it currently stands there are no prizes this year and so enjoy the challenge and improvement in skill that will result. If a sponsor comes forward at any time that will be posted in the TOTM folder.

2. Anybody who has started tying salmon flies in the last 12 months can highlight this on their first entry to be considered for the title of 'Best Newcomer'

3. You can only enter one photo. Entries with more than one photo will immediately be disqualified.

4. Unless stated otherwise, the photo should contain only one pattern/version of a fly. There can be multiple copies of the pattern chosen, but they must be as far as possible identical in size and form so that it’s clear what is being voted for.

5. Each fly must have been tied for TOTM i.e. it should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or t'interweb. You can tie another version of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another thread to TOTM.

6. To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at.

7. At the end of the month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month and be open to everyone on the forum.

8. The December competition will be to decide the 'Tie of The Year', where members will vote for the best of the winning flies from the 10 monthly competitions. The points for this will be awarded in the same way as every other month.

9. Whichever participant has the most points at the end of the year wins the accolade of TOTM Winner and/or Best Newcomer

10. The competition will run from February 2020 to December 2020

11. Points will be awarded each month as follows. In the event of a tie for 1st, 2nd or 3rd, all tied participants will get the full points available for the placing.
• First place: 10 points
• Second place: 8 points
• Third place: 7 points.
• Each monthly competition entered: 4 points.

This means that you can place well in the whole event, without ever winning a single month's competition

JockieScott
JockieScott.png

SnapT14
SnapT14.png

DrPatrickT
DrPatrickT.png

LienBlue
LienBlue.png

Stephenb91
Stephenb91.png

Grassy_Knollington
Grassy_Knollington.png

mc andy
mc andy.png

tonymccann9
tonymccann99.png

Boogie
Boogie.png

Andrzej
Andrzej.png

Woodsy
Woodsy.png

nickolas
nickolas.png

Nigel Passmore
Nigel Passmore.png

iainmortimer
iainmortimer.png

PerryPoker
PerryPoker.png

Logan Houston
Logan Houston.png

Clydebuilt
Clydebuilt.png

Billy Fish
Billy Fish.png

tay raider
Tay Raider.png

Tailfire
Tailfire.png

Ryan Houston
Ryan Houston.png

charlieH
charlieH.png

GaryD
GaryD.png

nw salar
nwsalar.png

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Could not have come at a better time. I've literally just put a tube in the vice and added some mylar tubing. The varnish is drying on the tubing as we speak.

It should fit this theme very nicely! ? Unless it looks like nothing when I tie it and I have to try something else! ?

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hi All, I’ll go Mairi shrimp on a tube - tied some the other day on hooks for back end (and also apparently peat stained water) - autumnal colours with hints of purple, claret, yellow, orange, red and gold - so I thought I’d tie this tube version for the comp.

Tight lines, Patrick

25304AB6-F4CD-4952-9ECD-5652DAC24310.jpeg

tube: 1cm cut to size copper tube, black (1.8mm) inner and black extension tubing.
Tag: small gold oval gold
Tail: small pinch wine coloured bucktail To support middle layer of dark claret fox and then an over wing of clarety fox ( fox brushed out). (Flash: Smidge copper angel hair after bucktail, and couple strands pearl flash And orange ripple flash over the dark claret fox)
Rear body: yellow sparkle glister ( no ribbing as per vid I saw by Easky - to let it be more straggly)
Front Body: claret seal with small gold oval rib, dubbing needle after to try and make it scruffed up
Wing: orange squirrel
JC
Front hackle: winey/claret cock hackle
Head: red glo brite 3, sally HAN

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Love it - that's exactly the kind of thing I envisaged when setting the theme. The downside is I now need to think of something different for my own entry!

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Is the picture blurred, should be sharp? I’ll do again if someone can confirm blurred or not. my eyesight is shocking so might be me. Thanks, Patrick

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Love it - that's exactly the kind of thing I envisaged when setting the theme. The downside is I now need to think of something different for my own entry!

Thanks Iain - always a worry going first - but if it fits the brief then great. Apologies if I’ve forced you to think of another fly.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Blurred??? If it was any sharper you'd jag yourself on the hooks!!! :LOL:

I'll get my coat!!! ?‍♂️

I’ve realised it’s not my poor eye sight - sometimes when you click on pictures it’s blurred - but if click again it goes to normal. Or it’s this bleedin’ phone.

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Hi All, I’ll go Mairi shrimp on a tube - tied some the other day on hooks for back end (and also apparently peat stained water) - autumnal colours with hints of purple, claret, yellow, orange, red and gold - so I thought I’d tie this tube version for the comp.

Tight lines, Patrick

View attachment 49517

tube: 1cm cut to size copper tube, black (1.8mm) inner and black extension tubing.
Tail: small pinch wine coloured bucktail To support middle layer of dark claret fox and then an over wing of clarety fox ( fox brushed out). (Flash: Smidge copper angel hair after bucktail, and couple strands pearl flash And orange ripple flash over the dark claret fox)
Rear body: yellow sparkle glister ( no ribbing as per vid I saw by Easky - to let it be more straggly)
Front Body: claret seal with small gold oval rib, dubbing needle after to try and make it scruffed up
JC

The bar has been set high to kick off this months comp! Very nice?

nwsalar

Reaction score
Ponoi Nail

1" Copper Tube
Tip: Small Oval Gold Tinsel
Tail: Yellow Bucktail and Pearl Micro-Krystal Flash
Rear Hackle: Yellow Hen
Body: Holographic Gold Tinsel
Rinb: Medium Oval Gold Tinsel
Body Hackle: Orange Saddle
Carapace: Golden Pheasant Tippet Feather Dyed Hot Orange
Front Hackle: Orange and Black Saddle
Thread: 70 Denier Black
IMG_5853.JPG

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Ponoi Nail

1" Copper Tube
Tip: Small Oval Gold Tinsel
Tail: Yellow Bucktail and Pearl Micro-Krystal Flash
Rear Hackle: Yellow Hen
Body: Holographic Gold Tinsel
Rinb: Medium Oval Gold Tinsel
Body Hackle: Orange Saddle
Carapace: Golden Pheasant Tippet Feather Dyed Hot Orange
Front Hackle: Orange and Black Saddle
Thread: 70 Denier Black
View attachment 49531

Ohhhhh, I like that!!! ?

C

cgaines10

Tight lines, Patrick

View attachment 49517

JC

Love it! Something I now need in my fly box ?

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I'll go for something slightly more traditional this month.

This is a variant of an autumn tube that was posted on the forum a good few years ago by another member who stopped posting called ballingall512. Take a look for some of his postings. You won't be disappointed.

Here's my variant...

IMG_20200903_152210.jpg

Tube: 1" Copper slipstream with orange extension tubing
Body: Pearl mylar tubing secured with varnished red thread
Wing: layer of blue bucktail around the tube, followed by a mix of yellow and orange bucktail and then two strips of claret Tanuki tied opposite the other. A couple of strands of krystal flash over the Tanuki.
Head: Red

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Nice Richard......Nice ? (y) o_O

Is that a photo from a light box?

Of all the flies I've ever tried to photograph, that one was a real nightmare. ?‍♂️

It was too dark, too blurry, the Tanuki was moving if a fly flew past... Total pain in the...

In the end I just set it on one of my windowsills in the house and played about with the manual photo settings on my phone until I eventually got a half decent picture.

SnapT14

Reaction score
The quality of photos across the board have improved drastically if late. Mobile phones are extremely good these days, almost, dare I say it making big DSLR and Digicams a waste of time

Jockiescott

Reaction score
The quality of photos across the board have improved drastically if late. Mobile phones are extremely good these days, almost, dare I say it making big DSLR and Digicams a waste of time

The newer mobile phones are pushing cameras to an extremely high standard.

I have a two year old Huawei P20 Pro and with Leica lenses and 40MP resolution, it takes better pictures than my 10 year old Nikon D5000 DSLR in many cases.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I just did and it was well worth doing so. Thanks for the heads up (y)

This is the step by step that was posted a good few years ago. It is what I was starting yesterday when you started this months competition! ?

LienBlue

Reaction score
Apologies for bad photo, major focussing issues on on my DSLR, and the mobile phone camera is an old one, I had to take the fly outside to get good light.
I think my entry for this months FOTM is my own tie, however I have seen so many fly tying videos and fly 'recipes' lately, it's possible I may have replicated someone else's work? Apologies if I have and will someone put me right?
If this is my own tie, the I call the tube fly 'Black Wing':
1599161040032.png

Tube: 1½“ Plastic Hot Orange slim tube 2mm diameter
Extension Tube: Hot Orange Silicone
Butt: Uni-Yarn Fluorescent Chinese Red
Tail: Orange and Yellow Crystal Flash, Orange and Yellow Flat Mirror Flash, 2 strands each
Rear Hackles: Hot Orange and Yellow Schlappen
Body Rear Half: Gold Holographic Flat Tinsel
Body Front Half: Black Floss
Rib: Oval Silver Tinsel medium
Wing: Arctic Fox Black
Front Hackles: Hot Orange and Yellow Schlappen
Cone: Tungsten 7mm diameter
Thread: Uni-Thread Fire Orange 6/0
Fly fitted with #8 Tube Hook

Saint Andrews

Reaction score

Tight lines, Patrick

View attachment 49517

JC
Love that DrP, tied somthing similar slats year for back end work on a falling peaty water.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Red devil is my entry this month. Please give me some creative licence as I'm not sure of the origin dressing. :)

1" copper tube
Cooper tinsel body
Silver med oval rib
Red bucktail
3 strands uv inhancer
View attachment 49601
Cheers andy
Love that too, again if done something similar in past but with holographic blue tinsel body... and yes it looks awesome in the water.