Tie of the Month November: "Thunder and Lightning"

Who tied your favourite three flies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Such a great pattern aNd as deadly as ever. I’m convinced the real Jay makes a difference with that translucent thing going on? But either way it just looks better than dyed guinea fowl I reckon

I'm a big fan of Jay on this pattern. It almost looks like little sparks of electricity in the water.

I've tied them Guinea too but I have more confidence when fishing with the versions with Jay in them. 😊

Andrew B

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Jay on this pattern. It almost looks like little sparks of electricity in the water.

I've tied them Guinea too but I have more confidence when fishing with the versions with Jay in them. 😊
Boom exactly. This book by Malone is a must have for anyone fishing Ireland or wanting to make these flies.
There’s a chapter on the renowned Irish fly maker Michael Rogan who’s flies were said to be like jewels in the water and mainly because he liked using natural coloured materials in his mixed wings and they nearly all have Jay throats and hackles. I’m not sure I’ll ever understand it but they really knew their stuff back then?

Attachments

• 4157D83B-86C4-42DB-B0BB-6FDE4F145F84.jpeg
    4157D83B-86C4-42DB-B0BB-6FDE4F145F84.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • AAB65D7B-0049-4825-858A-545E57EA34CF.jpeg
    AAB65D7B-0049-4825-858A-545E57EA34CF.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • 7A492F8A-7BDF-469F-92FF-78C1B1FB22A5.jpeg
    7A492F8A-7BDF-469F-92FF-78C1B1FB22A5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42

Andrew B

Reaction score
Jay without a doubt.
And nane o’ this hairy stuff 😱
BM every time 😉
Yes Bronze Mallard is another one of those Holy Grail materials for me. I would spend ages routing through a bin bag of BM sent from winter duck shoots when the birds are at their best. In Scotland you have the brilliant Stan Headley who seems to have a really good grasp on such materials. Don’t ask me how these naturally translucent materials can imitate clouds of daphnia but I’ve no reason to doubt someone like Stan Headley on this lol.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Boom exactly. This book by Malone is a must have for anyone fishing Ireland or wanting to make these flies.
There’s a chapter on the renowned Irish fly maker Michael Rogan who’s flies were said to be like jewels in the water and mainly because he liked using natural coloured materials in his mixed wings and they nearly all have Jay throats and hackles. I’m not sure I’ll ever understand it but they really knew their stuff back then?

There's a copy of it in my library! 😁

Natural bling. Jay, macaw, peacock swords, jungle cock, etc. Just those wee subtle additions for that extra sparkle in the water. 🙂

SnapT14

Reaction score
Evening all,

I finally got time to sit down and knock something together for this months TOTM. Although I've not had time of late I have still been thinking of what I could tie and I've gone from traditional to modern and swayed back and forth since then. Hooks, tubes, shanks 🤔🤔🤔🤔 🤯🤯🤯🤯!

So I finally decided on a traditional/modern combo that I hope will make me a good fishing fly as well as looking good for the competition.

My fly is therefore tied on a 25mm waddington shank, rigged with a trailer single, fastened with 25lbs black amnesia.

THE DRESSING -
Tag - lagartun small gold oval
Butt - danvilles rayon floss - yellow
Tail- orange over yellow GP topping feathers with wound ostrich herl.
Body - 3/4 length - black floss
Rib- veevus medium gold oval
Top 1/4 body - small dubbing ball of mixed orange, bronze and blue litebrite ( essentially thunder and lightning colours ( brushed to to give the hackles a nice angle )
First hackle - hot orange saddle ( 2 turns )
Second hackle - bronze mallard ( 1 side stripped ) and wound ( 2 turns )
Final hackle - dyed blue guinea fowl
Thread - Black uni 8/0

20211113_115001.jpg

Good luck to all and great to see so many great efforts so far.....

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Evening all,

I finally got time to sit down and knock something together for this months TOTM. Although I've not had time of late I have still been thinking of what I could tie and I've gone from traditional to modern and swayed back and forth since then. Hooks, tubes, shanks 🤔🤔🤔🤔 🤯🤯🤯🤯!

So I finally decided on a traditional/modern combo that I hope will make me a good fishing fly as well as looking good for the competition.

My fly is therefore tied on a 25mm waddington shank, rigged with a trailer single, fastened with 25lbs black amnesia.

THE DRESSING -
Top 1/4 body - small dubbing ball of mixed orange, bronze and blue litebrite ( brushed to to give the hackles a nice angle )
Thread - Black uni 8/0

View attachment 68442

I'd eat that 😋

Andrew B

Reaction score
Evening all,

THE DRESSING -
Top 1/4 body - small dubbing ball of mixed orange, bronze and blue litebrite ( brushed to to give the hackles a nice angle )
Thread - Black uni 8/0

View attachment 68442

Wow that’s super nice pal. Has all of the traditional elements but is also slick as ****.
Love what you done with the Mallard here, and for all of the above I’d have no hesitation in tying this on my leader.👏

SnapT14

Reaction score
Wow that’s super nice pal. Has all of the traditional elements but is also slick as ****.
Love what you done with the Mallard here, and for all of the above I’d have no hesitation in tying this on my leader.👏
Cheers Andrew, hope you are well mate 👍

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Evening all,

THE DRESSING -
Top 1/4 body - small dubbing ball of mixed orange, bronze and blue litebrite ( essentially thunder and lightning colours ( brushed to to give the hackles a nice angle )
Thread - Black uni 8/0

View attachment 68442

Right up my street that is!!! 👌

Cracker sir!!! 😉

Andrzej

Reaction score
Evening all,

THE DRESSING -
Thread - Black uni 8/0

View attachment 68442

Excellent fly, definitely something to copy (y)

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Evening all,

THE DRESSING -
Thread - Black uni 8/0

View attachment 68442

I keep thinking I have made my choice for votes as so can’t see anything better turning up and then something like this is entered! That’s a really stunning version that is going to make my final selection near impossible! Perfect photo to capture it too 👍

I think it’s the impression of a classic mixed wing which does it for me and is ideal for this kind of pattern.

SnapT14

Reaction score
I keep thinking I have made my choice for votes as so can’t see anything better turning up and then something like this is entered! That’s a really stunning version that is going to make my final selection near impossible! Perfect photo to capture it too 👍

I think it’s the impression of a classic mixed wing which does it for me and is ideal for this kind of pattern.
Thanks Iain, appreciate that 👍👍
I did intend on giving it a classic look but also wanted the fly to be of a modern shape, if that makes sense. It should fish a bit like an intruder with plenty of movement

westie4566

Reaction score
Evening all,

THE DRESSING -
Thread - Black uni 8/0

View attachment 68442

That really is the dogs danglies Nathan. Love it.

Pete V

Reaction score
Evening all,

THE DRESSING -
Thread - Black uni 8/0

View attachment 68442

That is a really great fly. Colours, proportions, shape, everything, just right.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Not sure I am happy with this one, so, if time permits I may update my entry later in the month For a relatively simple pattern (compared to a lot of others of the same time), there are actually quite a few different versions of this listed in old books on fly tying. I kind of amalgamated a few different ideas from some of them into this variant. It is tied on a size 6 single.

Tag - gold oval and yellow silk
Tail - GP crest and orange weaver
Butt - purple fur
Body - black floss
Rib - gold twist
Hackle - orange badger hackle from second turn of gold twist
Shoulder Hackle - blue jay
Wing - white tipped turkey with yellow, orange and blue goose. Bronze mallard over all with a GP crest on top.
Sides - jungle cock
Horns - blue macaw
Head - purple furView attachment 67959
Looks great although I would prefer a black butt and head. Never seen orange weaver as an Indian crow sub. Is it wildly available and does it keep its colour when wet?

nickolas

Reaction score
Evening all,

THE DRESSING -
Thread - Black uni 8/0

View attachment 68442

Very nice string fly.