Tie of the Month November: "Thunder and Lightning"

Who tied your favourite three flies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andrzej

Reaction score
I had a Dee style pattern for the October TOTM, so for this month I've tied a Spey fly. It was hard to find a quiet place today to take a picture with these 50mph winds in Thurso area.

Fly579.jpg

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Many thanks Jockiescott (y) This body hackle is a bit too short, but couldn't find any larger feather. Maybe I should have used a smaller hook? :unsure:

Possibly, but it looks a proper fish catcher just the way it is. Very nice! 😁

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I had a Dee style pattern for the October TOTM, so for this month I've tied a Spey fly. It was hard to find a quiet place today to take a picture with these 50mph winds in Thurso area.

View attachment 68105
That’s my favourite so far, absolutely love it - just a perfect blend of the T&L colours that to give a totally balanced look in all respects 😍

Andrzej

Reaction score
That’s my favourite so far, absolutely love it - just a perfect blend of the T&L colours that to give a totally balanced look in all respects 😍
Many thanks Iain 😁 There is a couple of things that I could have done better, the hacle is a bit too short and this silver rib I started in a wrong place, so one turn is missing at the back :confused: But generally I'm quite happy with it, should be good for fishing.

flytie09!

Reaction score
I posted a reintroduction in the New Members section. My name is Mike and I live in the US. I've been a member of the sister site, NAFFF, since 2012 and lurking here in the shadows around the same time.

flytie09!

Reaction score
Dressing details for the entry:

Hook - Daiichi 2131 Bob Veverka Size 2
Tip - Small silver oval tinsel
Tag - Yellow floss
Tail - GP crest topped with IC sub
Butt - Black ostrich herl
Body - Black floss
Ribbing - Medium gold oval tinsel
Hackle - Orange saddle hackle
Throat - Baby blue guinea
Wing - Medium bronze mallard
Topping - GP crest
Cheek - JC
Horns - Blue and gold macaw
Head - Black thread and Loon UV cure

SEDGY

Reaction score
It would of been in my early teens and definitely on a Saturday morning that I first saw my first Thunder and Lightning salmon fly.

My weekend routine was to finish my paper round,get paid and without fail call in with John Rosser at his tackle shop in Aberystwyth.John would know exactly what I would want before I stepped in …..he knew my routine and he would have a dozen trout flies at 9p each ready for me, fastened through some card to which he would of kindly named each fly,as part of me fly fishing apprenticeship.
On this particular Saturday Selection he had added a couple of salmon flies as he informed me that there had been a couple of salmon caught during the week on the Rheidol and that I should maybe give one a swim instead of just targeting small trout and parr ……A Blue Charm and A Thunder and Lightning- what a great name for a fly I immediately thought.
I wish I could tell you that my first fly caught Salmon came to that T and L but sadly it didn’t, it came a couple of seasons after to a dirty big 2’’ Black Chenille tandem lure fishing for Sea trout at about 2am ,sadly not even 10% as pritty 😂

My entry is as I remember John’s pattern being…..tied on a size 6 single .

C86661DD-1E63-429C-8DCB-7147EF43F157.jpeg

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
It would of been in my early teens and definitely on a Saturday morning that I first saw my first Thunder and Lightning salmon fly.

My weekend routine was to finish my paper round,get paid and without fail call in with John Rosser at his tackle shop in Aberystwyth.John would know exactly what I would want before I stepped in …..he knew my routine and he would have a dozen trout flies at 9p each ready for me, fastened through some card to which he would of kindly named each fly,as part of me fly fishing apprenticeship.
On this particular Saturday Selection he had added a couple of salmon flies as he informed me that there had been a couple of salmon caught during the week on the Rheidol and that I should maybe give one a swim instead of just targeting small trout and parr ……A Blue Charm and A Thunder and Lightning- what a great name for a fly I immediately thought.
I wish I could tell you that my first fly caught Salmon came to that T and L but sadly it didn’t, it came a couple of seasons after to a dirty big 2’’ Black Chenille tandem lure fishing for Sea trout at about 2am ,sadly not even 10% as pritty 😂

View attachment 68159
I bet that would take its fair share today with that hot orange in it. A really nice looking fly.

Andrzej

Reaction score

View attachment 68159
I like this orange tag and the wing that looks similar to Phatagorva pattern, very nice (y)

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Might change this one, I found a single shank at the bottom of the box!

71C0C2B3-73C2-44E8-A542-A3CFA0BB85A1.jpeg

Tag: Oval Gold
Butt: Tan Sparkle dub
Tail: Soft golden Yellow Hackle fibres
Body: Black Seals Fur
Rib: Oval Gold
Wing: Bronze Mallard fibres in a dubbing loop
Hackle 1: Webby Orange Cock Saddle (stripped)
Front Hackle: Blue Guinea Fowl
Cheeks: JC

Love the T&L, good idea for the competition Ian (y)

Jockiescott

Reaction score

View attachment 68179

I can picture that in the water with a lovely shape and full of movement. 😉

SEDGY

Reaction score
What is it about this last entry 🤔….I can’t stop looking at it. Great dramatic photo for a start and even though the fly looks a bit like a drowned parrot it’s full of life and character and out of all the entries so far….would definitely be the one I would most want to give a swim.Just brilliant 👌

Andrzej

Reaction score

View attachment 68179

I like this fly, modern approach to the T&L (y)