Who tied your favourite three flies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Welcome to Tie of the Month
November 2021

Introduction
The format of the 2021 Tie of the Month competition has changed slightly this year to give a better spread of points and to reflect an amazingly generous prize list. However, despite the prizes this is a very friendly competition that is open to everyone regardless of your ability and a specific newcomer's section and prize is available to reflect that. So please do join in by submitting your flies and engaging in the banter because your tying will improve and so will your general feeling of happiness!

To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at. It is worth noting that often it is not the neatest, most skillful or most complex tying that wins but the fly that the voters feel is most likely to catch a fish or is simply the most inventive or witty (see the winning entry from mc andy in the April 2020 competition ;)). There is also no pressure to enter every month but do note that points are awarded just for entering each month. Just enjoy the challenge and improvement in skill that will result from producing patterns that you may not otherwise have considered tying!

Please also note that the flies you tie are used as a reference by many people and so your posts are creating a great reference section for everyone. I therefore ask and encourage everyone entering to include a list of the materials used with each photo.

Clearly photography plays a part in this competition and many (possibly most) photo's are taken very successfully using a phone camera. A few tips to help though:
  • As much as possible try and take the photo in natural daylight
  • On many smart phones tapping the screen to select the point of focus can result in the camera focussing on the vice or another large solid object near the fly. If that happens, try taking the photo at a greater distance from the fly without selecting the point of focus and then crop it (also note rule 7 below)
  • Be careful of the background for both clutter and background colour can make it harder to see, or with a good choice, highlight the fly.

This months theme: Thunder and Lightning
I have officially proven myself as not just being old but having the onset of senility according to my children because until they hassled me about presents I might want, I'd forgotten about my birthday in a few days. Its not that hard to do though when they seem to arrive faster than the household bills!

It did however get me thinking about flies that are now old and forgotten having been replaced by the new and 'better' variants or that have arisen to usurp the previous favourite pattern as a result of being more effective or easier to tie while being just as effective. Mixed in with that thinking was the perceived fetish that came upon a number of you for tying a Thunder and Lightning (I'm included in that) before I decided that it wasn't a good enough fit with last months theme. This round for once is therefore obvious from the title and fits in with my initial thinking for a theme (at least I think it does as I can't quite remember... :rolleyes: ) and which was cemented by last nights storm that brought me rudely awake.

This month you will tie a Thunder and Lightning. You can drive yourself nuts by being faithful in every respect to the original classic dressing or select the most modern of tube borne hairwing variants, I don't mind so long as it recognisable as a Thunder and Lightning. A nice easy theme for once ;):unsure:

SPECIFIC GUIDANCE
  • The fly must be recognisable as a Thunder and Lightning fly
  • The tying can be in any format i.e. hook, tube, waddington shank, brooch pin, even a cocktail stick if you like, there is no limitation
  • Jockiescott MUST tie a classic as he ties to many of these already :oops::ROFLMAO: (okay I've scratched that rule )

TOTM format.
1. The main TOTM event
This runs each month from February to November with a different theme being set each month. Voting takes place the following month and is open to all members of the forum. Points will be awarded as noted below. In the case of a tie full points will be awarded to each entrant in that positio. Entries with 0 votes will not be placed:
1st place: 10 points
2nd place: 7 points
3rd place: 5 points
4th place: 3 points
5th place: 2 points
6th place: 1 point

All entries will be awarded 4 points regardless of the number of votes.

Prizes will awarded to the top three places according to the total points gained by each entrant after voting on November's entries has completed.

There is also a lucky draw open to all entrants to win a selection of the flies entered and submitted by entrants (no obligation to do so). Every fly entered will be matched by an entry to the draw and so the more months you enter the better your chance of winning! This will be organised by myself using a random number generator. Depending on the number of donations this could be split into more than one prize.

2. Fly of the Year
Each months winning fly (or flies if the result is drawn) will be entered into this competition with voting taking place in December. The fly with the most votes wins the prize

3. Guest Theme - salmon flies for use in salt/brackish water
This will be set during one of the summer months and a prize has been made available for first place in addition to the usual monthly scores and so get your research going now!

4. Newcomers
Entry to this section is based on trust and honesty. If you have been tying salmon flies for less than 12 months and have not entered TOTM before (you may have tied trout, pike or bass flies before) then please clearly state 'NEWCOMER' at the top of each months post containing your entry. This will ensure I don't miss it!

TOTM Standard Rules
1. This competition is run for the fun and enjoyment of everyone on the forum in a good natured manner and so please observe the usual forum rules to remain an entrant. My role is simply to facilitate its smooth operation but while in that position, I reserve the right to make the final decision in case of any dispute. To date that has never been needed and long may that continue!

2. You can only enter one photo for each months entry which must have been posted by midnight on the last day of each months competition. Entries with more than one photo will immediately be disqualified unless specifically allowed as part of each months theme.

3. Unless stated otherwise, the photo should contain only one pattern/version of a fly. There can be multiple copies of the pattern chosen, but they must as far as possible be identical in size and form so that it’s clear what is being voted for.

4. Each fly must have been tied for TOTM i.e. it should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or other social media. You can tie another version of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another post to TOTM.

5. You may change your photo and fly as many times as you like up until the deadline but please ensure you delete the previous version to avoid falling foul of rule two.

6. At the end of each month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will be time limited (generally to a full month) and be open to everyone on the forum.

7. As the competition is about the fly I reserve the right to crop photo's to as close to the fly as possible when setting up the poll

8. People accepted as beginners will be entered into the main monthly competition and to the beginners competition.

9. The competition will run each month from February to November.

10. Two polls will be run in December each lasting for approximately two weeks. The first will be for the November entries, and the second for fly of the year.

11. Prizes are not guaranteed. They have been offered out of the generosity of forum members and no one involved in running the competition or that is involved in running or managing the forum accepts any liability should any prize not be forthcoming for any reason

ENTRIES

DrPatrickT
DrPatrickT.jpg

tcorfey
tcorfey.jpg

Timmins
Timmins.jpg

idbflytye
idbflytye.png

Mattytree
Mattytree.jpg

Stephenb91
Stephenb91.jpg

Andrzej
Andrzej.jpg

rotenone
rotenone.png

Gavinmcc
Gavinmcc.jpg

Spectrum shrimp
Spectrum shrimp.jpg

iainmortimer
iainmortimer.jpg

Sedgy
Sedgy.jpg

Tailfire
Tailfire.jpg

Easer
Easer.jpg

JockieScott
Jockiescott.jpg

flytie09!
flytie09!.jpg

SalmoNewf
SalmoNewf.jpg

westie4566
westie4566.jpg

SebasP
SebasP.jpg

Beel
Beel.jpg

Grassy_Knollington
Grassy_Knollington.jpg

Hardyreels
Hardyreels.jpg

Tony Mac
Tony Mac.jpg

Woodsy
Woodsy.jpg

Fruin
Fruin.jpg

SnapT14
SnapT14.jpg

GaryD
GaryD.jpg

Flow
Flow.jpg

Ryan houston
A9D67A44-B764-4BE7-BA24-ED5517785835.jpeg

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Welcome to Tie of the Month
November 2021

Introduction
The format of the 2021 Tie of the Month competition has changed slightly this year to give a better spread of points and to reflect an amazingly generous prize list. However, despite the prizes this is a very friendly competition that is open to everyone regardless of your ability and a specific newcomer's section and prize is available to reflect that. So please do join in by submitting your flies and engaging in the banter because your tying will improve and so will your general feeling of happiness!

To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at. It is worth noting that often it is not the neatest, most skillful or most complex tying that wins but the fly that the voters feel is most likely to catch a fish or is simply the most inventive or witty (see the winning entry from mc andy in the April 2020 competition ;)). There is also no pressure to enter every month but do note that points are awarded just for entering each month. Just enjoy the challenge and improvement in skill that will result from producing patterns that you may not otherwise have considered tying!

Please also note that the flies you tie are used as a reference by many people and so your posts are creating a great reference section for everyone. I therefore ask and encourage everyone entering to include a list of the materials used with each photo.

Clearly photography plays a part in this competition and many (possibly most) photo's are taken very successfully using a phone camera. A few tips to help though:
  • As much as possible try and take the photo in natural daylight
  • On many smart phones tapping the screen to select the point of focus can result in the camera focussing on the vice or another large solid object near the fly. If that happens, try taking the photo at a greater distance from the fly without selecting the point of focus and then crop it (also note rule 7 below)
  • Be careful of the background for both clutter and background colour can make it harder to see, or with a good choice, highlight the fly.

This months theme: Thunder and Lightning
I have officially proven myself as not just being old but having the onset of senility according to my children because until they hassled me about presents I might want, I'd forgotten about my birthday in a few days. Its not that hard to do though when they seem to arrive faster than the household bills!

It did however get me thinking about flies that are now old and forgotten having been replaced by the new and 'better' variants or that have arisen to usurp the previous favourite pattern as a result of being more effective or easier to tie while being just as effective. Mixed in with that thinking was the perceived fetish that came upon a number of you for tying a Thunder and Lightning (I'm included in that) before I decided that it wasn't a good enough fit with last months theme. This round for once is therefore obvious from the title and fits in with my initial thinking for a theme (at least I think it does as I can't quite remember... :rolleyes: ) and which was cemented by last nights storm that brought me rudely awake.

This month you will tie a Thunder and Lightning. You can drive yourself nuts by being faithful in every respect to the original classic dressing or select the most modern of tube borne hairwing variants, I don't mind so long as it recognisable as a Thunder and Lightning. A nice easy theme for once ;):unsure:

SPECIFIC GUIDANCE
  • The fly must be recognisable as a Thunder and Lightning fly
  • The tying can be in any format i.e. hook, tube, waddington shank, brooch pin, even a cocktail stick if you like, there is no limitation
  • Jockiescott MUST tie a classic as he ties to many of these already :oops::ROFLMAO: (okay I've scratched that rule )

TOTM format.
1. The main TOTM event
This runs each month from February to November with a different theme being set each month. Voting takes place the following month and is open to all members of the forum. Points will be awarded as noted below. In the case of a tie full points will be awarded to each entrant in that positio. Entries with 0 votes will not be placed:
1st place: 10 points
2nd place: 7 points
3rd place: 5 points
4th place: 3 points
5th place: 2 points
6th place: 1 point

All entries will be awarded 4 points regardless of the number of votes.

Prizes will awarded to the top three places according to the total points gained by each entrant after voting on November's entries has completed.

There is also a lucky draw open to all entrants to win a selection of the flies entered and submitted by entrants (no obligation to do so). Every fly entered will be matched by an entry to the draw and so the more months you enter the better your chance of winning! This will be organised by myself using a random number generator. Depending on the number of donations this could be split into more than one prize.

2. Fly of the Year
Each months winning fly (or flies if the result is drawn) will be entered into this competition with voting taking place in December. The fly with the most votes wins the prize

3. Guest Theme - salmon flies for use in salt/brackish water
This will be set during one of the summer months and a prize has been made available for first place in addition to the usual monthly scores and so get your research going now!

4. Newcomers
Entry to this section is based on trust and honesty. If you have been tying salmon flies for less than 12 months and have not entered TOTM before (you may have tied trout, pike or bass flies before) then please clearly state 'NEWCOMER' at the top of each months post containing your entry. This will ensure I don't miss it!

TOTM Standard Rules
1. This competition is run for the fun and enjoyment of everyone on the forum in a good natured manner and so please observe the usual forum rules to remain an entrant. My role is simply to facilitate its smooth operation but while in that position, I reserve the right to make the final decision in case of any dispute. To date that has never been needed and long may that continue!

2. You can only enter one photo for each months entry which must have been posted by midnight on the last day of each months competition. Entries with more than one photo will immediately be disqualified unless specifically allowed as part of each months theme.

3. Unless stated otherwise, the photo should contain only one pattern/version of a fly. There can be multiple copies of the pattern chosen, but they must as far as possible be identical in size and form so that it’s clear what is being voted for.

4. Each fly must have been tied for TOTM i.e. it should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or other social media. You can tie another version of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another post to TOTM.

5. You may change your photo and fly as many times as you like up until the deadline but please ensure you delete the previous version to avoid falling foul of rule two.

6. At the end of each month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will be time limited (generally to a full month) and be open to everyone on the forum.

7. As the competition is about the fly I reserve the right to crop photo's to as close to the fly as possible when setting up the poll

8. People accepted as beginners will be entered into the main monthly competition and to the beginners competition.

9. The competition will run each month from February to November.

10. Two polls will be run in December each lasting for approximately two weeks. The first will be for the November entries, and the second for fly of the year.

11. Prizes are not guaranteed. They have been offered out of the generosity of forum members and no one involved in running the competition or that is involved in running or managing the forum accepts any liability should any prize not be forthcoming for any reason

This should be a cracker!!! 😁

A bit more straight forward this month Iain. 😉

I sort of wish you'd kept the rule you scratched as it may have made it simpler for me. Now what do I tie??? My favourite classic that I've based so many variations of different styles on.

Let the head scratching begin. 🤔

ibm59

Reaction score
Pours a dram , and sits back in anticipation. 😉🤣

I‘ve had more than one fish on this pattern over the years.
‘Particularly deadly when tied small , 10- 12’ish wee double , and fished as the tail of a 2or 3 fly cast from a boat on the salmon lochs.

Beel

Reaction score
As one of the guilty "fetishists" from last month, I admit to tying a few on some singles for last month - though added another coat of varnish this morning to comply with the rules!!
Standard dressing apart from no crow in tail and I have used a blue badger as the throat hackle.
3B6A3636 (2).jpg

Timmins

Reaction score
Well that’s it decided then 1st 2nd 3rd ……….holy moly good luck if you can muster up enough inspiration to add to those 3 . Was really looking forward to race home from work and tie a flee the night to 🤔🤔🤔

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Well that’s it decided then 1st 2nd 3rd ……….holy moly good luck if you can muster up enough inspiration to add to those 3 . Was really looking forward to race home from work and tie a flee the night to 🤔🤔🤔

With the the number of shrimp, Long-tail, scandi and hairwing variants of this fly out there, I'll be surprised if something a bit special doesn't appear before too long. 😉

Timmins

Reaction score
well I will try a scandi style T&L this month . Loved trying all the different styles and patterns this year as my first year entering and so glad I started tying my own flies last year . This forum really is great for help,advice and ideas . Best of luck for you’s that are in the running for the prizes .

Tube clear medium fits inner flu orange xs
Medium gold oval
Tag yellow floss
Tail orange n yellow pheasant
Body black floss gold rib
Black orange laced hen
First wing fiery brown fox
Flash gold/copper angel hair
Orange hen hackle
2nd wing rusty black top fox
Blue soft hackle
Jc cheeks
Gun metal tungsten cone
CD4FD0D9-C911-46EA-B248-B8FD27FA7F19.jpeg

tcorfey

Reaction score
My entry for November.
Wanted to add some weight to this fly as we have been getting some rain finally and it will be used for Steelhead this winter.

IMG_2383.jpg

Thunder & Lightening
Black ProtubeTube
Med Silver flex weight
Yellow Arctic Fox
Red neck Hackle
Blue neck hackle
Orange Arctic Fox
Pearl Krystal Flash
Black Shlappen
Black Arctic Goat
Semperfli JC
Large Silver Cone

I think I need to be more creative with the camera. Might try to take some outdoors tomorrow.

Regards,
Tim C.

SnapT14

Reaction score
THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY as I barely have time to tie my lace's at the moment never mind s fly 😕
I tyed this a while back loosely based on the T&L colours , it's even managed to hook a cpl 🎣

View attachment 67931
You keep giving us sneaky little previews of your talent to remind us all what to expect when your back at the vice ........

Lovely tie Arnold

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Retro/modern/spey/waddy Hybrid Thunder & Lightning

Inspired by some of the Waddies Jockiescott has been tying,I thought I’d give the Waddy format a shot.

Waddington: 20 mm (sleeve black heat shrink )
Tag: Gold oval
Butt: Chartreuse floss
Tail: long, medium, short GP tippets
Body: Black floss
Body hackle: dyed orange pheasant rump wound down body and gold oval rib counter wound up
Wing: stripped yellow artic with yellow mirror flash either side
Hackle 1: orange cock
Hackle 2: Webby blue cock
Jc
Black head

All the best, Patrick
BD6D0996-7561-4989-ADCF-6464E76686FD.jpeg

Cascade

Reaction score
THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY as I barely have time to tie my lace's at the moment never mind s fly 😕
I tyed this a while back loosely based on the T&L colours , it's even managed to hook a cpl 🎣

View attachment 67931
Lovely fly.
If I'm not mistaken, add a yellow underwing and you have a Munro Killer, another great fly.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
You keep giving us sneaky little previews of your talent to remind us all what to expect when your back at the vice ........

Lovely tie Arnold

Don't know about the talent bit 🙄Thank's very much for your kind words Nathan their very much appreciated ☺️👍 the way thing's are going it will be next next spring before I get back at the vice 😕

westie4566

Reaction score
Don't know about the talent bit 🙄Thank's very much for your kind words Nathan their very much appreciated ☺️👍 the way thing's are going it will be next next spring before I get back at the vice 😕
Dinnae knock yersel' Arnold. With absolutely no offence to anyone else. Your flies are probably some of the tidiest tied I've ever seen in my years on the river. You have a real skill...as do some other guys on here. I only wish I could come near to the likes of you, Richard, Nathan, Dr P. Ryan...the list goes on.

And also mind I'm way older than you so have seen mair flees than you've had hot dinners (y) 😁

ian74

Reaction score
Dinnae knock yersel' Arnold. With absolutely no offence to anyone else. Your flies are probably some of the tidiest tied I've ever seen in my years on the river. You have a real skill...as do some other guys on here. I only wish I could come near to the likes of you, Richard, Nathan, Dr P. Ryan...the list goes on.

And also mind I'm way older than you so have seen mair flees than you've had hot dinners (y) 😁
I know for a fact that yours catch fish tho. (y)

Jockiescott

Reaction score

Dinnae knock yersel either sir. I've said before that I tie flies because I enjoy it, not because I think I'm good at it and that I never sold flies because I never thought they were good enough to sell.

I'm just as in awe of most of the tying on here as you seem to be and I include your tying in that. Your wee PBP that you entered in last month was up there with anything that I've seen on the forum in recent times. I've commented a few times that I'd love to see more of your tying on the forum.

So, again, dinnae knock yersel'. Get those flies up. I need all the inspiration I can get at the minute. That goes for anyone else too. 👍

clydesider

Reaction score
As one of the guilty "fetishists" from last month, I admit to tying a few on some singles for last month - though added another coat of varnish this morning to comply with the rules!!
Standard dressing apart from no crow in tail and I have used a blue badger as the throat hackle.View attachment 67762
Class act.......always like to see the body in a busy fly.
Mike