Tie of the Month November: ‘A double date’

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I'm loving the entries to this for the consistency of tying on each entry and the desired inconsistency of pattern choice! I thought this could be a harder one but you guys are making it look easy....I think I'm with Rennie :ROFLMAO:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
What idiot came up with this months theme! Bad enough tying to flies the same on a different foundation but trying to get a decent photo :oops:

Anyway I decided I was going to do freestyle something with a copper body. This is take two...added a flouro orange tag and some peacock for a subtle flash.

Tube: Tubeworx gold glitter tube and regular brass cone head
Hook: Partridge Patriot, gunmetal, #8
Thread: rust brown
Tag: globrite no.4
Tail: shadow fox sunburst, orange and yellow bucktail, shadow fox orange, two strands gold crystal flash
Body: holographic copper tinsel, varnished
Wing: black arctic fox, peacock herl over
Hackle: yellow badger, shorter orange badger

C849B312-0CDC-4B09-BDA0-ED9A5E5F6513.jpeg

Last edited:

AlanT

Reaction score
A pair of Glenfarclas var, my first flies for a very long time and first TOTM this year.

Better late than never I suppose. . .

Both gold tag, copper body and the usual WG colours hackles/hairs. The templedog has copper SS dubbing thorax and palmered orange body 1/2 the way down. Blue guinea fowl to finish on both.
The variant part is the gold heads on both

20201117_161924.jpg

Last edited:

Woodsy

Reaction score
Surprised to see I'm the first to put up Park Shrimps for this topic ?

Hook/Tube: Size 10 Patriot / 3/4" Buch o Balloons orange tubing and XS Eumer tuber as lining
Tag: Oval gold
Tail: Short orange runner, gold crystal hair, long orange runner, gold angelina fibres, short orange runner
Body: Rear 1/3 is gold ice dubbing, front 2/3 is black seals fur
Rib: Oval gold
Wing: Black shadow fox pelt with a few strands of gold angelina fibres on top
Hackles: Hot orange badger cock over yellow cock
Jungle cock placed between the hackles.
Head: Glo brite fire orange/ Veniard gold medium brass cone

PB171237.JPG

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
First ties off the vice since recently getting back on terra firma

Struggled to get decent photo, no natural light available, its lashing down outside & I wouldn’t want to put a jakey out in that nevermind myself to get a decent pic

Anyway:

Black ,Orange & Gold Flamethrowers

Double on Size #8 Patriot Double
Tube on Veniards 22mm Slim Brass tube

Tag & Rib : Med Gold Wire on Double & Med Oval Gold on Tube (tube suits thicker rib)
Rear body: Gold Mylar
Rear Hackle: Orange cock
Rear Wing: Orange Buck
Front Body: Black Floss under gold rib
Front Wing: Black Buck
Front Hackle: Black Cock under JC Cheeks

IMAG7260.jpg

Good luck all

Cheers

CB

SnapT14

Reaction score
Well, what a nightmare the photo of these has proven to be. Too gloomy inside for any real detail, too windy outside to stop the tails flapping around....

O.M.G.......I nearly gave up. Some of the looks I've had through the kitchen window from the better half have been priceless......

I've had to settle for the below, as my patience is burning close to the exploding part of the firework.....?.. ?

Two, Black and Chartreuse Monkeys. One on a 1" copper tube and the other on a Salar #9.

I'm not a huge fan of Peacock over the top. In my experience it breaks off after a while so its not involved here. One of my faves for spring, and I am a little surprised its not been posted already.....

20201118_160534.jpg

Last edited:

AlanT

Reaction score
Well, what a nightmare the photo of these has proven to be. Too gloomy inside for any real detail, too windy outside to stop the tails flapping around....

O.M.G.......I nearly gave up. Some of the looks I've had through the kitchen window from the better half have been priceless......

I've had to settle for the below, as my patience is burning close to the exploding part of the firework.....?.. ?

Two, Black and Chartreuse Monkeys. One on a 1" copper tube and the other on a Salar #9.

I'm not a huge fan of Peacock over the top. In my experience it breaks off after a while so its not involved here. One of my faves for spring, and I am a little surprised its not been posted already.....

View attachment 52568
Cleanly tied and nice and bright 👍

Last edited:

willmorris

Reaction score
Better late than never...
First year tying so I enjoyed having a challenge for my first entry last month. It got me psyched to come back for more with this month's double fly challenge!

One tied on a tungsten turbo tube with a small future fly tungsten UFO disk (thanks for the recommendation @rotenone ) and the other on a size 12 double.
PXL_20201120_144618323-01.jpeg

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Jock Scott hairwings

2BAFA082-F74A-4743-9937-49BBEE8F48EF.jpeg

Hook:
Patriot #10 / 10mm Long range tube
Tag: Gold wire
Tail: None / GP Tippet
Rear Body: Yellow floss / dubbing
Rib: Silver oval tinsel
Rear Hackle: Yellow cock hackle
Front body: Black Seals Fur
Wing: Blue, red and yellow Bucktail/ Fox tail with flash
Hackle: Black cock hackle / Ringneck Pheasant dyed black
Front Hackle: Natural Guinea Fowl
Head: Blue Krystalflash / Gunmetal 6mm Tungsten Turbo Disc

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Jock Scott hairwings

View attachment 52939

Hook:
Patriot #10 / 10mm Long range tube
Tag: Gold wire
Tail: None / GP Tippet
Rear Body: Yellow floss / dubbing
Rear Hackle: Yellow cock hackle
Front body: Black Seals Fur
Wing: Blue, red and yellow Bucktail/ Fox tail with flash
Hackle: Black cock hackle / Ringneck Pheasant dyed black
Front Hackle: Natural Guinea Fowl
Head: Blue Krystalflash / Gunmetal 6mm Tungsten Turbo Disc

they are stunning GK, your blend and layering of the bucktail is sublime. That’s a lovely fly👍👍

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
they are stunning GK, your blend and layering of the bucktail is sublime. That’s a lovely fly👍👍
Thanks very much Dr P! On the tube was trying to get something of the profile that you got with the Mairi shrimp. Think I might have got towards that.

So many good flies again, I’ll be happy with a vote in this group!

ATB

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Thanks very much Dr P! On the tube was trying to get something of the profile that you got with the Mairi shrimp. Think I might have got towards that.

So many good flies again, I’ll be happy with a vote in this group!

ATB
Your tube is awesome - and if that’s a blend of artic - absolutely stunning. Feck, I couldn’t tie it like that - guinea fowl can feck things up as well. Not the easiest for a wound hackle. It’s top notch GK.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Your tube is awesome - and if that’s a blend of artic - absolutely stunning. Feck, I couldn’t tie it like that - guinea fowl can feck things up as well. Not the easiest for a wound hackle. It’s top notch GK.
Ha! Course you could! Tip from Davie McP, try the hairdryer on misbehaving hackles, works wonders. Didn’t need it on this one though, must have got a lucky feather🤣.

Tks again!

Tailfire

Reaction score
This one is a variant of a fly created by Darragh Digney called the Kryptonite. Materials list as follows:-
Silver double/ Chartreuse and blue tubes
Tag: Mirage Tinsel
Butt:Glo Brite Floss
Tail: Fluorescent Green Floss
Body: Mirage Tinsel/ SSS Sea Lice Silver
Body Hackle: Silver Dunn/ Grey marabou over on tube
Rib: Fluorescent Green Wire
Wing: Silver Light Brite/Battleship Grey Fox/Clearwater Light Brite/ Fluorescent Green Fox/ Blue Fox/ Mirage Tinsel
Hackles: Blue/ Fluorescent Green Soft Hackles with Fluorescent Green and Light Blue marabou under on tube
Eyes: Jungle Cock
Horns: McCaw Tail Feather
Conehead: Rainbow
Kryptonite - 2.jpg