Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Logan Houston

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Foxford Shrimp

Tried a few of these today but could not get happy with them. Grand to fish but not to show against the competition on this thread. Problem is today is the last day so here goes anyway.
Tag: Flat silver
Tail: Red GP breast
Rib: Flat silver
Rear body: Black seals fur
Middle hackle: natural white badger
Front body: Fiery brown seals fur
Wings / eyes: JC
Front hackle: Ginger
Head: Red
Foxford S.JPG

Rainclouds

Reaction score
What and when was the fuss?and How was the fly involved?
I have found a similar fly the Wilkinson shrimp to be successful on the Ridge pool and Cathedral
stretch.
I'm intrigued as to the fuss as I regularly have fished there.
Its mentioned in a couple of books including Peter O'Reilly's Flies of Ireland and Chris Mann's and Robert Gillespies book Shrimp & Spey Flies for Salmon & Steelhead. Two fishermen killed 45 spring salmon between them in a day on the Ridge pool in May using this fly according to reports. Even back then this caused a fuss when the local Regional Fisheries Board used the pictures on the front of a leaflet promoting the tidal beats. You have to put it in context though, the same fisheries board earned revenue from operating nets between the bridges in Ballina, what is now the Cathedral Beat. The netting was ceased around this time.

Last edited:

Prezmek

Reaction score
Agivey Wye bug no1 is my entry for this month competition. Personally like the look of Irish shrimp flies tyed on treble hooks, dubbed body and jungle cock. My 1st fly caught salmon was on this pattern also

Wysłane z mojego SM-A320FL przy użyciu Tapatalka

Doublehooked

Reaction score
Lemon Shrimp.

Hook Kamasan B380 size 10.
Tag- medium oval silver.
Tail/Feelers- GP breast feather with two strands of silver flash.
Rear body - yellow seal's fur ribbed with oval tinsel small.
Middle hackle- yellow cock.
Front body- black seal's fur ribbed with oval tinsel small.
Eyes- JC.
Front hackle- Silver badger cock hackle.
Head- Red.

DSCF01861.JPG

Last edited:

AlanT

Reaction score
Wow, dont know how I missed this, what a fantastic range of flies. Prezmek for me this month

Last edited:

Walleye

Reaction score
View attachment 42908

OK SO THIS IS LOGANS ENTRY TO THE IRISH MONTH WE WARMED UP BY GIVING HIM A STREAMER HOOK TO SEE HOW MANY HACKLES HE COULD GET ON IT AND THEN LET HIM LOOSE ON THE SHRIMP WE NEED A BIT MORE PRACTICE WITH SETTING JC BUT I THINK HE HAS GOT HACKLING DOWN TO A FINE TEE

LOGAN "it took a long time to tie"
This is just a thought and I haven't fully thought it through yet but....
If mods were to relax the rules on selling flies, I'd happily buy a few of Logan's flies, fish with them when the season opens again and post photos of any fish caught on here on a special thread. Maybe a few others would do the same. I think it would be a nice thing for Logan to see his flies catching salmon on different rivers around the country, which I am certain they would.

ryan houston

Reaction score
This is just a thought and I haven't fully thought it through yet but....
If mods were to relax the rules on selling flies, I'd happily buy a few of Logan's flies, fish with them when the season opens again and post photos of any fish caught on here on a special thread. Maybe a few others would do the same. I think it would be a nice thing for Logan to see his flies catching salmon on different rivers around the country, which I am certain they would.
thanks Walleye hopefully the whole season here doesn't disappear due to the coronavirus and we can get out and have a cast with his flies ourselves, had him false casting in the garden the other day don't think I can let him loose with spey casting just yet but he has landed several salmon I hooked for him starting at 5 years old

ryan houston

Reaction score
is there a glitch in this thread or this forum? for me this poll has sat at 15 voters for many days now then all of a sudden it jumped to 54 this morning and then 64 in an hour? not complaining just wondering if something was frozen

iainmortimer

Reaction score
is there a glitch in this thread or this forum? for me this poll has sat at 15 voters for many days now then all of a sudden it jumped to 54 this morning and then 64 in an hour? not complaining just wondering if something was frozen
I had it sitting in the mid twenties hence the other thread to remind people. Maybe people adding votes has unfrozen it or the thread suddenly generated lots of interest!

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I'd quite happily fish with every fly that had been posted in this month's competition 👍🏻🎣. So a massive well done to everyone who entered :clap::clap::clap: some seriously cracking tying lad's :thumb:

It was between the two houston's for me this month with an exceptional fly from dad Ryan :thumb: but it's young logan who takes my vote this month :nod: for a young lad you really do tie a nice fly :thumb: and for me it's great to see you posting them on the forum :). well done young man :clap: and keep posting your fly's

Arnold

Last edited:

ryan houston

Reaction score
I'd quite happily fish with every fly that had been posted in this month's competition 👍🏻🎣. So a massive well done to everyone who entered :clap::clap::clap: some seriously cracking tying lad's :thumb:

It was between the two houston's for me this month with an exceptional fly from dad Ryan :thumb: but it's young logan who takes my vote this month :nod: for a young lad you really do tie a nice fly :thumb: and for me it's great to see you posting them on the forum :). well done young man :clap: and keep posting your fly

Logan- thank you Arnold.

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Iain,
I can't see any problems that would account for this. The system does do updates overnight sometimes so it could be to do with that, but otherwise it looks normal as far as I can tell.

Kirsty

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Hi Iain,
I can't see any problems that would account for this. The system does do updates overnight sometimes so it could be to do with that, but otherwise it looks normal as far as I can tell.

Kirsty
Okay thanks for looking into it so quickly Kirsty.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Polling closed, votes counted and we have three winners out on their own this month. That surprises me to be honest because as others have said the standard of tying was again superb and it was a real struggle to pick just a single entry for my vote, I'm sure plenty of people struggled in much the same way! Winners there have to be though and so to save you having to read through all the votes again here they are:

1st place with 9 votes, gaining 10 points iiiiiis....Ryan Houston. Well done sir, a really eye catching shrimp without a fibre out of place. A very worthy winner.

2nd place with 7 votes, gaining 8 points iiiiiis...Clydebuilt. I think the only low water shrimp entered with tail tied in mid-body. You definitely need to allow your interest to peak in this style!

3rd place with 6 votes, gaining 7 points iiiiiis….Easky. A very nice sparsely tied offering that I can see doing very well when it can finally get wet.

Congratulations gentlemen. A very high quality trio and given the general standard on show they needed to be and so congrats again to everyone for a stunning collection of flies.

Last edited:

mc andy

Reaction score
Surely a irishman winning a Irish shrimp competition is a fix! :lol::peace:

Very well done Ryan and to all that entered

Sorry went in to change entry and ended with 2 post? :doh:

Last edited: