Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Logan Houston

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slaneysider

Reaction score
John Anthony Shrimp(Original)
The John Anthony shrimp was created John O 'Donnell from Glenties and was his favourite pattern for the Owenea River.
Despite its lack of flash it is aother of those non-descript patterns which are nevertheless absolute killers.
Simplicity at its finest.

Attachments

easky

Reaction score
Faughan Copper Shrimp

A new Irish Shrimp pattern from Sean McLaughlin, as you may have guessed, Sean lives on the banks of the Faughan River, the home of many a good Irish Shrimp fly!

I think one of the great things about Irish Shrimps is that as a style of tying or 'template' it is very versatile in terms of different colour combos and variations in materials. This has, and in the case of the Faughan Copper, is still spawning a huge variety of patterns. This particular one has been featured in T&S and 'traveled well', being successful all across Ireland, Scotland and even Russia. What I like about it is the use of the dyed purple GP tail which really lights up in the water and does particularly well from mid season onwards (similar to claret tailed shrimps in this regard). Also interesting that Sean decided to dispense with Jungle Cock.. and like the Orange and Gold Shrimp still does very well!

Tying:
Tail: copper oval tag, gold kystral flash and purple GP
Rear body: Loop Lohinka flat braid with oval copper over
Mid hackle: hot orange
front body: Loop Lohinka dubbing with oval copper rib
Front hackle:silver badger dyed orange
Head: red

FB76EA2D-18B9-4CE0-982B-C3AA6457C8AF.jpeg

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
A new Irish Shrimp pattern from Sean McLaughlin, as you may have guessed, Sean lives on the banks of the Faughan River, the home of many a good Irish Shrimp fly!

I think one of the great things about Irish Shrimps is that as a style of tying or 'template' it is very versatile in terms of different colour combos and variations in materials. This has, and in the case of the Faughan Copper, is still spawning a huge variety of patterns. This particular one has been featured in T&S and 'traveled well', being successful all across Ireland, Scotland and even Russia. What I like about it is the use of the dyed purple GP tail which really lights up in the water and does particularly well from mid season onwards (similar to claret tailed shrimps in this regard). Also interesting that Sean decided to dispense with Jungle Cock.. and like the Orange and Gold Shrimp still does very well!

Tying:
Tail: copper oval tag, gold kystral flash and purple GP
Rear body: Loop Lohinka flat braid with oval copper over
Mid hackle: hot orange
front body: Loop Lohinka dubbing with oval copper rib
Front hackle:silver badger dyed orange
Head: red

View attachment 42962
I love that really rich purple GP. Did you dye it yourself or was it bought?

wormo

Reaction score
I'll throw in my effort for the month , I think I've entered once b4 but by chance I'm tying a few of these magma shrimps so here you go

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
Brilliant first entry Matthew!

I also notice you're not new to proper photography. The TOTM is attracting more participation than ever I believe, full enjoying the show fellas!

Ard

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Great entry and welcome to TOTM Matthew. I really must try and sort our my photography as I struggled with this months entry as I couldn't stop the focus being on just the hackle! (I only use a phone but its not normally a problem...)

Last edited:

Starburst shrimp

Reaction score
Copper McClaret

So much choice, but ended up going with one of my own. Another one from the Faughan with a bit of copper in it 👍

Tag: oval gold
Tail: GP rump feather
Rear body: copper tinsel
Rear rib: Red wire
Mid hackles: Red cock under Irish claret
Front body: claret floss
Front rib: oval gold
Front hackle: Orange cock
JC cheeks
Head: Red

Attachments

Jockiescott

Reaction score
So much choice, but ended up going with one of my own. Another one from the Faughan with a bit of copper in it 👍

Tag: oval gold
Tail: GP rump feather
Rear body: copper tinsel
Rear rib: Red wire
Mid hackles: Red cock under Irish claret
Front body: claret floss
Front rib: oval gold
Front hackle: Orange cock
JC cheeks
Head: Red
Must be a Derry man invention that! :lol:

Andrzej

Reaction score
very interesting fly when I first tied curries red shrimp in my teens I didn't have a decent badger cape so I used grizzle and came up with a pattern like this but with the JC in the normal position and it served me well down the years
Thanks Ryan, I took this pattern from 'The Complete Illustrated Directory of Salmon Flies' by Chris Mann. I've decided to tie this fly because I liked the JC at back, something different from typical Irish shrimps.

Slaneysider

Reaction score
very interesting fly when I first tied curries red shrimp in my teens I didn't have a decent badger cape so I used grizzle and came up with a pattern like this but with the JC in the normal position and it served me well down the years
That’s why we like doing things the wrong way around down this part of the country the inventor of this pattern was dyslexic more than likely .🤨

ryan houston

Reaction score
That’s why we like doing things the wrong way around down this part of the country the inventor of this pattern was dyslexic more than likely .🤨
I was going fly fishing for salmon for the first time to the easky river someone told me what a curries was and also a bann special I tied what I thought they were meant to look like they both caught fish but neither looked like what they were meant to the bann had globrite floss instead of seal and also used grizzle

PerryPoker

Reaction score
Lemon Shrimp

My entry for this month. I don’t have much knowledge of Irish shrimp patterns but a quick forum search brought this one up. I quite like the colour combo of this fly.

Tail: Golden pheasant
Rear Body: Yellow seal’s fur
Rib: Oval Silver tinsel
Mid Hackle: Yellow cock hackle
Front Body: Black seal’s fur
Front Hackle: Badger hackle
Jungle cock

Attachments

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
My entry for this month. I don’t have much knowledge of Irish shrimp patterns but a quick forum search brought this one up. I quite like the colour combo of this fly.

Tail: Golden pheasant
Rear Body: Yellow seal’s fur
Rib: Oval Silver tinsel
Mid Hackle: Yellow cock saddle
Front Body: Black seal’s fur
Front Hackle: Badger hackle
Jungle cock
The fact that the competition every so often pushes you somewhere you might not otherwise have gone is one of the things I like about it. I hummed and hah'd a fair bit about selecting such a 'common' range of flies too!

Last edited:

Gpu

Reaction score
Ok Gents my first attempt at an Irish Shrimp pattern. It’s a Quinn Shrimp variant which I found I found rather challenging but enjoyed it and may well try a few more of different types for the box.

G

Adjustments.jpg

Last edited: