Tie of the Month June 2021: A Good Pool of Knowledge?

Who tied your favourite fly

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And another cracker of a TOTM thread!

Congratulations to all of you as I once again confront the fact that my tying is poop :poop:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Hopefully I’m not too late, but been quite busy lately, so haven’t got any time to tie. Unfamiliar pool, so my choice would be ‘Den Vanliga”, “The Usual” as you guys might call it. Tied on tungsten bottle tube, Alta gold holo tinsel on body + sx inner tube & m sized tube for hook. Yellow polar bear, orange raccoon dog and fiery brown fox on a wing with a couple of strands of nasty rusty angel hair. Light blue hen as a hackle. Fits turbo nickel cone to the top of it. Easy and fast.

View attachment 62735

Hi Zamora, at 14 hours past the deadline I feel its to late to be included for last month. Sorry, Iain

Zamora

Reaction score
Hi Zamora, at 14 hours past the deadline I feel its to late to be included for last month. Sorry, Iain
Yes I know. Just decided to post as you haven't had opened the poll and the new topic wasn't open. I think there have been some exceptions allowed in the past.

But of course this was just my fault. So no offence taken :)

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I took a bit of pondering between three flies but in the end I took the common route of which one would I tie on first. JockieScott out in the first entry and came out as my first choice. I like the contrasting colours and each one I feel would do the business as it’s neither to bright nor too dark.

SnapT14

Reaction score
A very difficult choice .....it was between two for me. Jockiescotts and Dr P's efforts. Both extremely fishy and beautifully tied. In the end I went for Dr P and his fab Tronach shrimp as it is the fly I'd probably tie on first out of the two....

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
There were 4 or 5 that stood out for me.

In the end I went for Bens_flies lovely long tail pattern.

Plenty of colour and still very subdued. Those hackles are beautifully shaped! Just that wee bit different without being 'in your face'.

Another great month and good luck to everyone!

Timmins

Reaction score
On any given day every one of these flies could tempt a salmon . All great entries !!! went for bens_flies as love the toned down muted colour contrast and I will more often than not pick a dark fly out my box to tie on first run down a pool

Bens_Flies

Reaction score
Hard decision this month… in the end i went for flows. Maybe not the most spectacular one but on almost the same fly i caught most of the fish. In the end the Jury is under water and decides 😬 and I’m pretty sure that they would love that one!
i must say that every entry this month deserved a vote.

SEDGY

Reaction score
Settled on DrPatrick in the end….the perfect size ,proportions and amount of colour ,with out being overwhelming,in my opinion.
His clean cut neatness is outstanding and that blended wing is probably the best I’ve ever seen “on fire” 🤩

Andrzej

Reaction score
I haven't look at the forum for a while and I see that I've missed a lot of excellent flies, especially these Park Shrimps! Don't have a favorite fly at the moment, it'll take a while to choose the one :)

ryan houston

Reaction score
if i had to pick a fly in general it would be Nathans perfect calvin but to pick a fly for this pool and this river then id have to go for a shrimpy fly to fish the fast and the slow bits so it was Jockie scotts fly for me combining the colours and patterns of a famous hairwing fly into the shrimp style to allow the whole pool to fish

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Too many to mention - JockieScott's fly because it's a clever twist on the Irish style and I love the colours and that body rib is tight, Stephenb's Shrimp because I think it has a lot of potential - CB's skinny fly that I need to copy the style of - andrzej - one of the only tyers who ties a flamethrower that I think looks right - and then I'm a sucker for a Calvin. Two fantastic versions - Snap T and Woodsy. Both perfect. But just the shape and flow of the hook versions did it for me so Woodsy get's it -I'd love to be able to tie then looking like that.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Too many to mention - JockieScott's fly because it's a clever twist on the Irish style and I love the colours and that body rib is tight, Stephenb's Shrimp because I think it has a lot of potential - CB's skinny fly that I need to copy the style of - andrzej - one of the only tyers who ties a flamethrower that I think looks right - and then I'm a sucker for a Calvin. Two fantastic versions - Snap T and Woodsy. Both perfect. But just the shape and flow of the hook versions did it for me so Woodsy get's it -I'd love to be able to tie then looking like that.
Thanks Patrick, cheque is in the post 🤣

tcorfey

Reaction score
What a wonderful collection of flies! I would be honored to have any of these flies in my box ! Well done everyone!
In the end I went with Ryan Houston's Silver Grey as that was my originally chosen pattern to tie but, I could not pull it off to my satisfaction (however I did catch a Salmon on one of the tube variations I tied while using it in Alaska so the fish seemed to like it.). I tried tying it on a double, a single and several tube versions to no avail it just was not right.

Because Ryan succeeded where I failed, my hat is off to him and he get's my vote. By the way Ryan I love that grey under wing you fit in there.

I will say in my entries defense I am glad I tied it because it hooked the largest salmon I tangled with in Alaska however, it is lost forever as the fish broke the leader after three attempts to land it and I lost the fly. :(

Regards,
Tim C.

Last edited:

Spectrum shrimp

Reaction score
Had a busy few weeks so only getting around to voting, some really cracking flies this month was hard to choose. I love a Calvin and Nathan and Woodsys are both cracking version's. Because I've fished the blackwater and hooked a fish on the park shrimp, my vote went to Logan, for quite an impressive take on the park for someone so young well done wee man. 🎣👌🏻

Southie21

Reaction score
I’m pretty new to this fly tying business. There are some bonnie flees on show in this section. I don’t know to start with choosing ma favourite wee pattern. More whisky required me thinks