Tie of the Month June 2021: A Good Pool of Knowledge?

Andrzej

Reaction score
I think you can't go wrong with one of these standard patterns, having in mind conditions given by Iain, my choice is the Kinermony Killer Flamethrower tied on a double #8. I hope this fancy shiny blue head will give me some votes in this TOTM ;) :ROFLMAO:

Fly553.jpg

SnapT14

Reaction score
I think you can't go wrong with one of these standard patterns, having in mind conditions given by Iain, my choice is the Kinermony Killer Flamethrower tied on a double #8. I hope this fancy shiny blue head will give me some votes in this TOTM ;) :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 61925
That's class Andrzej. It isnt the textbook kinnermoney killer but I must admit that ALL of your flies have your style written all over them an I love your style. I could pick one of your flies out of a table full of others. That will catch grisle from day one to the last of any season on ANY river.

Well done, and a great photo again!

Andrzej

Reaction score
That's class Andrzej. It isnt the textbook kinnermoney killer but I must admit that ALL of your flies have your style written all over them an I love your style. I could pick one of your flies out of a table full of others. That will catch grisle from day one to the last of any season on ANY river.

Well done, and a great photo again!
Thank you very much SnapT14 for these kind words :D I didn't want to experiment with a fly for the June competition, so went for this pattern. Though, as you've noticed, it's not a standard KK. This month theme is very flexible (well done Iain!), so I expect a lot of various patterns. Excellent flies on the display already from Jockiescott, DrPatrickT, Tailfire and Timmins. Each one different, can't wait to see flies from other tiers!

Tony Mac

Reaction score
I've went for the Irish shrimp "Bann Special" in a Cascade style tying this month.

This fly is sure to do the business . I got my first fish on a Bann Special and I feel I fish this pattern with the most confidence.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Geordieboy

Reaction score

View attachment 61925
I love the way you bring your hackles back like that. No matter how much I fold my fibres, they still sit up

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
A Simple Skinny - tied in the Silver Dr colour scheme

Moderately flashy for the grilse

Hook: partridge Patriot #10
Tag: Yellow and Red floss under UV
Body: None - bare hook
Wing: Blended Yellow/Red/Blue bucktail under Bronze mallard
Beard: Teal blue cock fibres

IMAG8156.jpg

Cheers

Cb

DrPatrickT

Reaction score

View attachment 62061

Cheers

Cb
Love it CB - always inventive, always different. Love your style (y)

iainmortimer

Reaction score

View attachment 62061

Cheers

Cb
I love that. We have a chap in the club that uses very little else but those skinny kinda flies whether on tubes or hooks. He does okay with them to say the least!

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
I love that. We have a chap in the club that uses very little else but those skinny kinda flies whether on tubes or hooks. He does okay with them to say the least!

Thanks Iain👍
I suppose it all comes back to the confidence in your flys.
A good friend of mine uses hooks that always seem barely have any bloody thread on them but always does well over a season.... he would probably bite off half the bucktail before using this one😂

tcorfey

Reaction score
Thought I would put up something a little different. I reviewed some patterns associated with the water in question and found that orange and yellow were pretty common color combinations so I tied a yellow with orange underbody marabou tube and added a bit of a pink finnraccon collar for this month's entry. I think the fish would like it, so I hope you will all find it entertaining.
IMG_1608.jpg

ryan houston

Reaction score
DSCF4245_edited-3.jpg

the silver grey is a well established pattern in that neck of the woods and a lot of us on this end have been adapting other patterns into a dual type shrimp to suit the fast and slow bits of a pool this started off to be another mccormicks type fly to that end but then i employed some of my 3 tone oppossum and thought it looked well on its own so the silvergrey park came into existence if you dont have 3 tone oppossum which is highly likely as i own the worlds supply lol then straight up chartreuse fur would do i think fox mask would do the job too

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I really wasn’t sure what to tie for this as I’d probably go in with a standard ally’s or cascade a lot of the time. Thinking back to my time there though, yellow and red were go to colours. I also wanted to keep something of the Irish Shrimp with red GP flank and so having drawn a blank in my books I decided to get creative resulting in this and put the GP flank as a throat hackle rather than tail as that should provide mobility in the slower as well faster sections. I’ve no idea what you’d call it so perhaps Morty’s Mash Up is as good as anything! 🤣

Hook: Fulling Mill Magni black #12
Tag: small oval gold tinsel
Tail: picric dyed natural squirrel tail and a few strands of hot red bucktail
Body: rear flat copper tinsel, front red holo tinsel
Rib: fine gold wire
Hackle: sunburst hen, GP red flank

899E44E7-11C4-45C9-A974-0F7D76D71FA0.jpeg

Last edited:

SnapT14

Reaction score
I really wasn’t sure what to tie for this as I’d probably go in with a big standard ally’s or cascade a lot of the time. Thinking back to my time there though yellow and red were go to colours. I also wanted to keep something of the Irish Shrimp with red GP flank and so having drawn a blank in my boots I decided to get creative resulting in this and put the GP flank as a throat hackle rather than tail. I’ve no idea what you’d call it so perhaps Morty’s Mash Up is as good as anything! 🤣

Hook: Fulling Mill Magni black #12
Tag: small oval gold tinsel
Tail: picric dyed natural squirrel tail and a few strands of hot red bucktail
Body: rear flat copper tinsel, front hook red tinsel
Rib: fine gold wire
Hackle: sunburst hen, GP red flank

View attachment 62126
Morty's mashup......😊

That's a brilliant name Iain. Should have good movement in the water

Stephenb91

Reaction score
My entry this month is a McCormick Shrimp tube fly.

Tag - flat gold tinsel
Tail - claret bucktail, 4 strands of gold crystal flash, claret golden pheasant hackle
Rear body - claret floss with gold wire rib
Read hackle - claret cock saddle
Front body - claret floss with gold wire rib
Front hackle - orange cock saddle
Cone - Futurefly 4mm hybrid cone

ACBCCD49-E07D-442B-974E-A14962A16509.jpeg