Tie of the Month January 2022: Pike/Musky Flies? (yes thats right, we're starting early this year)

Jockiescott

Reaction score
New Guy question?

I wish to participate and learn something this year, its going to be a bit of a struggle and maybe I`ll get one like in 2022, that's my goal just one like.

We are tying Pike flies right? The flies presented look like steelhead flies to me maybe even salmon? I guess I will be tying what constitutes a pike fly in Minnesota and you can either deny my entry or get a good laugh. Perhaps I`ll tie a spearing decoy and post a picture with spear in hand looking through the ice.:unsure:😄

Iainmortimer was just trying to worry us all by threatening us with pike flies. Something I have absolutely no knowledge of. 😬

No, the theme is simply tube flies that must contain red, green, silver and gold (or yellow as an alternative to gold).

chriswjx

Reaction score
New Guy question?

I wish to participate and learn something this year, its going to be a bit of a struggle and maybe I`ll get one like in 2022, that's my goal just one like.

We are tying Pike flies right? The flies presented look like steelhead flies to me maybe even salmon? I guess I will be tying what constitutes a pike fly in Minnesota and you can either deny my entry or get a good laugh. Perhaps I`ll tie a spearing decoy and post a picture with spear in hand looking through the ice.:unsure:😄

He was trying to terrify us all 😅

Here's the official fly composition requirements, and I guess vaguely in the spirit spirit attempting to hook a fresh springer 😅
SPECIFIC GUIDANCE
  • BODY: must feature tinsel for at least 50% of its length
  • COLOUR: red, gold (or yellow), silver and green must all feature strongly (other colours e.g. a black wing, can also be one of the dominant colours)
  • FORMAT: a weighted tube. Metal or plastic+conehead is acceptable.

SEDGY

Reaction score
New Guy question?

We have all been there my friend….don’t think of it as getting ‘likes’ or votes’ at the beginning.Just get your entry in and compare it with the others and by doing that you will learn how to improve .Have a look at the entries those far as far as look and proportions and use that as a starting point and come up with your own pattern 👍

iainmortimer

Reaction score
New Guy question?

It will be great to have you on board and so welcome to TOTM. As mentioned, it is ALWAYS worth reading the whole of the theme but the most important bit to take on board are the specifics of each challenge. Those are always posted at the end of each theme and must be met.

Don’t to be to observant of likes or votes because often one gives little comparison to the other. Also bizarrely, the fly you think is your best ever entry often gets less votes than one you submit unhappily having given up on trying to achieve what you really wanted!

As a result, the best approach is to try your best, be willing to get out of your comfort zone and treat any vote or like as an unexpected bonus. The fun and learning from taking part will always be the big win👍

Last edited:

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen, I tie fishing flies, I'm not that good, occasionally I get lucky but I want to get better, and you guys are good, if not the best Ive seen, I'm not just saying that. I'm trying to learn and get better at my classic salmon flies, tubes and spey flies for salmon and steelhead.

Easer

Reaction score
Ian, when You say that at least 50% of the body will have to be tinsel, is it then allowed to wind a body-hackle around the tinsel, or will thát have to be a sole/singular element....?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Ian, when You say that at least 50% of the body will have to be tinsel, is it then allowed to wind a body-hackle around the tinsel, or will thát have to be a sole/singular element....?
No that’s fine. I don’t think of a palmered hackle as the ‘body’ proper and so in that context, it’s the underbody the rule applies to.

Iain

Woodsy

Reaction score
Great to get at it early this year folks 👍

Green arsed cascade piggy

Tag: silver oval and globrite green, varnished
Tail: orange and yellow bucktail
Whiskers: orange boar bristles with dyed red tips
Rear body: silver hali flat braid
Front body: black floss ribbed with silver wire
Wing: black fox pelt and 2 strands of pearl flash
Hackle: red in front of yellow
Red JC
Cone: gold Sean Stanton

20220110_205554.jpg

SEDGY

Reaction score
Have struggled with having the right materials a bit this month …wanted to use a darker more Christmas green but had nothing in my collection so had to settle for a chartreuse green.Have used luminous green trigger points when possible which is always worth including in a spring time pattern….even painting/epoxied in a tag in to the back end of the treble hook 😂 which might not be to everyone’s taste.

The feelers are based on Amherst but they are red hen hackle stem’s marked up with black paint.
Stacked wing is yellow squirrel, red fox and black buck tail with a few strands of mirage strand twinkle.
Front body is made up with sparkle dubbing and some fine hen hackle fibres.

A99FA77C-E40C-478B-99B4-3FBD2DE2C4EB.jpeg

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Have struggled with having the right materials a bit this month …wanted to use a darker more Christmas green but had nothing in my collection so had to settle for a chartreuse green.Have used luminous green trigger points when possible which is always worth including in a spring time pattern….even painting/epoxied in a tag in to the back end of the treble hook 😂 which might not be to everyone’s taste.

The feelers are based on Amherst but they are red hen hackle stem’s marked up with black paint.
Stacked wing is yellow squirrel, red fox and black buck tail with a few strands of mirage strand twinkle.

View attachment 71072

Oh I do like that! 😉

Nice on SEDGY! 👍

SnapT14

Reaction score

View attachment 71072
Nice fly......almost a green Highlander 👌

iainmortimer

Reaction score

View attachment 71072
I’m glad you didn’t have any dark green because I think it suits that better! A very nice ‘make do with what I have’ 😉😁