• billy fish

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • GaryD

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fergal1975

Reaction score
I'm looking at all these flies on my work computer rather than on my phone today. Big difference and I can really see how well all these flies are tied now.

Zamora

Reaction score
Muddy Waters

After Ciara storm, I thought there might be some raise at the water levels in the Scottish rivers, so hence the Muddy Waters Spey fly. (You can find this from Bob Veverkas book).

Hook: tmc 202sp #2/0
body: black Berlin wool
Ribs: medium silver tinsel & red and yellow silk
body hackle: black heron
hackle: black hen
wing: bronze mallard
head: black thread

3d873ee79231361a297f57c9b0fdadfa6ba10424.jpg

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I really like the fact that there's a good selection of classic flies this month that are all creations I could see on the end of my line rather than just in a show case. Great work :thumb:

nwsalar

Reaction score
Thanks. I messed up the wing; being too long. I was looking at some antique flies and my eye was drawn to the wing tip relative to the tail and length of the heron fibers. I totally missed using the hook length as a gauge. Next time.

nickolas

Reaction score
White Shrimp

First designed by Watt Burns from the Dub at Birgham, which later was plagiarised by all and sundry and later known as the white wing on the Tweed. Watty was a great fisherman and boatman who in his day tied thousands of flies for his customers, a lot better than the one attached. All tied with hackle.White Shrimp 1.JPG

keithick

Reaction score
Thanks. I messed up the wing; being too long. I was looking at some antique flies and my eye was drawn to the wing tip relative to the tail and length of the heron fibers. I totally missed using the hook length as a gauge. Next time.
Ive tied a couple of these, they look amazing in the water , wing looks fine to me nwsalar👌

ryan houston

Reaction score
DSCF2150_edited-2.jpg

some great entries and a lot of participation which is good to see took me a while to get round to it and I was tempted to tie a classic but those are already well represented so I went for a modern classic with a twist used silver fox as the tail but supported it top and bottom with a wee bit of fox mask

Prezmek

Reaction score
My 1st entry for competition. I have chosen to tye Megan Boyd shrimp by famous Scottish lady fly tyer.

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Just another day to go before this months competition will be closed and the voting opened. having checked through I see a few new names to the competition but no one that has identified themselves as someone who has just started to tie salmon flies. If you fall into that category could you please let me know either in an edit of your post with your entry or in a new message.

As mentioned by others there's a high number of entries and so thanks to everyone who's taken part so far, its going to be hard to choose!

Thanks,
Iain

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Guinea Fowl Orange Black and Gold is a theme that runs through many a deadly Scottish classic salmon fly... The Dunked, Munro's Killer and The Gary Dog spring to mind instantly... I've hopefully done them some justice by sticking them on an Irish Shrimp for a swim in 2020..

20200228_170026.jpg

CharlesW

Reaction score
Jock Scott

I've left it a bit late, but I've been struggling with this one.

IMG_2545.JPG

I don't have all the materials/feathers for a full/correct version of this pattern, so I have had to substitute with what I do have.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I've left it a bit late, but I've been struggling with this one.

View attachment 42768

I don't have all the materials/feathers for a full/correct version of this pattern, so I have had to substitute with what I do have.
That’s a fly and a half to take on at any time! You’ve a lovely clean line to the wing - is it turkey or goose that you used?

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Jeanie

Had to go to Peter O'Reilly's Irish book to confirm that this is actually Scottish.
last minute tie just to get one in so have gone very simple.

Flat silver tag
Topping tail
Yellow and black floss
Medium oval silver
Black cock hackle
Bronze Mallard
JC
jeanie.JPG