Tie of the Month April 2021: I can already hear you groaning!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Welcome to Tie of the Month
April 2021

Introduction
The format of the 2021 Tie of the Month competition has changed slightly this year to give a better spread of points and to reflect an amazingly generous prize list. However, despite the prizes this is a very friendly competition that is open to everyone regardless of your ability and a specific newcomer's section and prize is available to reflect that. So please do join in by submitting your flies and engaging in the banter because your tying will improve and so will your general feeling of happiness!

To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at. It is worth noting that often it is not the neatest, most skillful or most complex tying that wins but the fly that the voters feel is most likely to catch a fish or is simply the most inventive or witty (see the winning entry from mc andy in the April 2020 competition ;)). There is also no pressure to enter every month but do note that points are awarded just for entering each month. Just enjoy the challenge and improvement in skill that will result from producing patterns that you may not otherwise have considered tying!

Please also note that the flies you tie are used as a reference by many people and so your posts are creating a great reference section for everyone. I therefore ask and encourage everyone entering to include a list of the materials used with each photo.

Clearly photography plays a part in this competition and many (possibly most) photo's are taken very successfully using a phone camera. A few tips to help though:
  • As much as possible try and take the photo in natural daylight
  • On many smart phones tapping the screen to select the point of focus can result in the camera focussing on the vice or another large solid object near the fly. If that happens, try taking the photo at a greater distance from the fly without selecting the point of focus and then crop it (also note rule 7 below)
  • Be careful of the background for both clutter and background colour can make it harder to see, or with a good choice, highlight the fly.

This months Theme: I can already hear you groaning!
Well here we go again. Season open, a few fish starting to show up in reports along with some optimism that it could turn out to be a half decent year, but of course we also have covid restrictions in place which in some ways appear to be impacted by fighting within politics rather than by science. That didn't really drive my decision on this months competition though. What gave me the idea, or more accurately who, was one of you lovely people with the suggestion of the fly you would happily use year round. So, as I started you off with the tough one of a snow fly, and then arguably to big a choice with last months, I thought I'd make life easy - sort of. You can again blame one of you for this, the one who said I'd likely end up with a whole bunch of Cascades if I took that suggestion on! Well I'm not taking a chance of that happening because to avoid simply ending up with a load of cascades by accident, I specifically want you to tie a Cascade!

Lets face it; is there a box in the land that doesn't have at least one cascade or a variant!? It has to be as ubiquitous as a Willie Gunn or perhaps, grass. However, this is also a competition about fly tying technique as well as form and design and so I am really looking forward to seeing what you do to create THE most attractive Cascade fly ever. The one that will be first out of the box every time, and that guarantees a selection of sizes being added.

You may now groan loudly :ROFLMAO:

SPECIFIC GUIDANCE
  • The tail must contain at least two colours in equal amounts, and some sparkle
  • The body must be two colour and split 50/50. Light at the back, dark at the front
  • There must be a wing and it must in part contain a significant colour contrast to the other colours used
  • As a minimum there must EITHER be a hackle of at least two colours or a throat and overwing. Whichever option is taken the colours must be the same as those used in the tail.
  • You can tie it on a hook, tube or Waddington shank.
  • The end result must noticeably be a cascade or variant.
How hard can it be! :unsure:

TOTM format
1. The main TOTM event
This runs each month from February to November with a different theme being set each month. Voting takes place the following month and is open to all members of the forum. Points will be awarded as noted below. In the case of a tie full points will be awarded to each entrant in that positio. Entries with 0 votes will not be placed:
1st place: 10 points
2nd place: 7 points
3rd place: 5 points
4th place: 3 points
5th place: 2 points
6th place: 1 point

All entries will be awarded 4 points regardless of the number of votes.

Prizes will awarded to the top three places according to the total points gained by each entrant after voting on November's entries has completed.

There is also a lucky draw open to all entrants to win a selection of the flies entered and submitted by entrants (no obligation to do so). Every fly entered will be matched by an entry to the draw and so the more months you enter the better your chance of winning! This will be organised by myself using a random number generator. Depending on the number of donations this could be split into more than one prize.

2. Fly of the Year
Each months winning fly (or flies if the result is drawn) will be entered into this competition with voting taking place in December. The fly with the most votes wins the prize

3. Guest Theme - salmon flies for use in salt/brackish water
This will be set during one of the summer months and a prize has been made available for first place in addition to the usual monthly scores and so get your research going now!

4. Newcomers
Entry to this section is based on trust and honesty. If you have been tying salmon flies for less than 12 months and have not entered TOTM before (you may have tied trout, pike or bass flies before) then please clearly state 'NEWCOMER' at the top of each months post containing your entry. This will ensure I don't miss it!

TOTM Standard Rules
1. This competition is run for the fun and enjoyment of everyone on the forum in a good natured manner and so please observe the usual forum rules to remain an entrant. My role is simply to facilitate its smooth operation but while in that position, I reserve the right to make the final decision in case of any dispute. To date that has never been needed and long may that continue!

2. You can only enter one photo for each months entry which must have been posted by midnight on the last day of each months competition. Entries with more than one photo will immediately be disqualified unless specifically allowed as part of each months theme.

3. Unless stated otherwise, the photo should contain only one pattern/version of a fly. There can be multiple copies of the pattern chosen, but they must as far as possible be identical in size and form so that it’s clear what is being voted for.

4. Each fly must have been tied for TOTM i.e. it should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or other social media. You can tie another version of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another post to TOTM.

5. You may change your photo and fly as many times as you like up until the deadline but please ensure you delete the previous version to avoid falling foul of rule two.

6. At the end of each month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will be time limited (generally to a full month) and be open to everyone on the forum.

7. As the competition is about the fly I reserve the right to crop photo's to as close to the fly as possible when setting up the poll

8. People accepted as beginners will be entered into the main monthly competition and to the beginners competition.

9. The competition will run each month from February to November.

10. Two polls will be run in December each lasting for approximately two weeks. The first will be for the November entries, and the second for fly of the year.

11. Prizes are not guaranteed. They have been offered out of the generosity of forum members and no one involved in running the competition or that is involved in running or managing the forum accepts any liability should any prize not be forthcoming for any reason

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
Snow fly..........as in the Beauly Snow fly with lots of Peacock Herl?

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Ohh I can hear the scandal brewing already!!!

What exactly is a cascade??? Is a Park Shrimp a cascade variant? 😮 What about raiders?😬

If you’d seen the looks of derision I got from the tackle shop owner in Pitlochry in 2010 when I said it take a few cascades... “Those are Tay Raiders...”, came the stern response!!! That was me told! 🤭

Don’t be falling out now everyone! It’s only a bit of fun!!! 😂

This could be worse for my receding hairline than trying to tie two flies last month!

Hearing the groans indeed! Nice one Iain! 😑

In all serious though, here’s hoping for another shed load of entries like we’ve had this past couple of months and hopefully a few new participants too.

It should be another cracker Iain. Well done! 😉👍

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'll go another mini tube, I can't see past them at the moment. No worrying about which hook is allowed single, double, treble - if it snags on a rock or gets caught in the branches of the tree Gods and survives with bent out hooks - swap the hook rather than chuck in the bin etc.

I've stayed relatively conservative as I'm confident in Cascades and need it for the fly box!! This is an orangey version.

Tube: 0.75 cm black outer, black inner
Tail: Mix bucktail - orange and yellow with smidge brushed out and mixed orange and yellow artic runner guard hairs (to half way)- 3 strands midge pearl flash
Tag: Semperfli Light gold wire 0.2 mm
Butt: Hemmy green erse (Globrite 12)
50: 50 Body: Orange holo into black floss with light gold wire
Wing: Black shadow fox (Sean Stanton)
Hackles: Longer Yellow hen under shorter orange hen
JC: Heresy I know
Cone: Metallic orange - Future Fly Hybrid

(Note: Hook isn't the one I'd use - it's just used for holding up a fly for a picture - Bendy Mouth Doubles bend at the sight of a river)

Tight lines,

Patrick
IMG_2284_totm apr.JPG

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'll go another mini tube, I can't see past them at the moment. No worrying about which hook is allowed single, double, treble - if it snags on a rock or gets caught in the branches of the tree Gods and survives with bent out hooks - swap the hook rather than chuck in the bin etc.

I've stayed relatively conservative as I'm confident in Cascades and need it for the fly box!! This is an orangey version.

Tail: Mix bucktail - orange and yellow with smidge brushed out and mixed orange and yellow artic runner guard hairs (to half way)- 3 strands midge pearl flash

(Note: Hook isn't the one I'd use - it's just used for holding up a fly for a picture - Bendy Mouth Doubles bend at the sight of a river)

Tight lines,

Patrick
View attachment 59409

That is a beauty DrP! 👌. What a start! 😮

SnapT14

Reaction score
Hi All,

Tight lines,

Patrick
View attachment 59409
Yep..... thats class ! Nice tying Patrick

Timmins

Reaction score
Uv cascade
Hook no 9 silver salar
Tag med silver oval tinsel
Tail purple n orange bucktail
Flash uv crystal flash
Body purple uv tinsel black floss
Rib med silver oval
Wing black shadow fox
Flash purple angel hair
Hackles Orange n purple hen
Jc cheeks
7AF3F7E6-C4DD-4A8F-A180-1F13E54F6E42.jpeg

Scierra

Reaction score
Magenta & Blue Cascade Variant,
Hook-Size 8 Patriot
Feelers- 3 Magenta Boar Bristles
Tail - Kingfisher Blue and Magenta cock saddle fibres
& 4 strands of Blue Crystal Flash
Body- lower Pink holographic tinsel, upper Magenta Floss
Rib- Medium silver wire
Wing- Black saddle cock with 4 strands of Black Crystal Flash
Hackle- Kingfisher Blue under Magenta
Head . Clear varnish over Red.

Cascade variant (2).jpeg

Last edited:

Tony Mac

Reaction score
My entry for this month, I've been wanting to try a Wilkinson Cascade for a while now so thanks for forcing me to get the finger out

Hook: Partridge Patriot #8
Thread: white 8/0 uni
Tag: small oval silver
Tail: pink bucktail, light blue flash, light blue bucktail
Butt: pink globrite
Body: silver holographic tinsel/ black floss
Rib: small oval silver
Wing: silver squirrel
Hackle: blue cock over magenta hen
Cheeks: jungle cock
Head: Red globrite

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
If ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I’ve gone with the MacKenzie cascade in its original colours. Just a brilliant fly that I love the look of and that will always give me confidence.

Thread: black 8/0 uni
Tag: medium oval gold tinsel
Tail: hot orange bucktail, root beer crinkle flash, yellow fox squirrel
Body: gold holographic tinsel/ black floss
Rib: small oval gold tinsel
Throat: orange shadow fox
Wing: black shadow fox, gold crystal flash, yellow fox squirrel

852034D4-0181-4F9A-B6A3-DB2B73FDBCDB.jpeg

Last edited:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
If ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I’ve gone with the MacKenzie cascade in its original colours. Just a brilliant fly that I love the look of and that will always give me confidence.

View attachment 59467
Beautifully tied and love the look of those Iain👍

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I'll throw this in tied at 7.30 this morning and swimming by 8.30 although it never attracted anything 🙈
A mackenzie cascade finished with uv varnish
Great minds think alike! You need to delete one photo though for the TOTM rules...and because it’s just rubbing it in that you can get on a river 😉

Lovely looking rod.

Last edited:

SnapT14

Reaction score

View attachment 59467
Beauties Iain. Very nicely tied, fishy looking flies. I had to double check my box of bucktail to make sure you hadn't snuck by and nabbed my Unicorn tails..... 😉

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Cracking flies Ian and your photo this month ,much improved if you don’t mind me saying 👌
Thank you. Some of my photo’s can be a bit suspect and so a bit more effort this month. I think that was about the 20th attempt having tried lots of different backdrops and locations!

Last edited:

Andrzej

Reaction score

View attachment 59474
Very very nice (y)

Lamson v10

Reaction score

View attachment 59474

Very nicely tyed fly's Iain 👌🎣

jimmythefish

Reaction score

What exactly is a cascade??? Is a Park Shrimp a cascade variant? 😮 What about raiders?😬

If you’d seen the looks of derision I got from the tackle shop owner in Pitlochry in 2010 when I said it take a few cascades... “Those are Tay Raiders...”, came the stern response!!! That was me told! 🤭

This could be worse for my receding hairline than trying to tie two flies last month!

In all serious though, here’s hoping for another shed load of entries like we’ve had this past couple of months and hopefully a few new participants too.

Ha ha ha great post jockie, I was up staying in Atholl Palace in Pitlochry,and wandered down over thon walkway bridge and watched 2 young ladies fishing,big brutes oh fish louping all over the place,seen thon tackle shop too. Wouldn’t mind going back up there to have a go.

Scierra

Reaction score

Great post Jockiescott (y)

Groan
I was always led to believe a Cascade was a hackled dressing :unsure: same with all Ally Shrimp dressings ?

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Ha ha ha great post jockie, I was up staying in Atholl Palace in Pitlochry,and wandered down over thon walkway bridge and watched 2 young ladies fishing,big brutes oh fish louping all over the place,seen thon tackle shop too. Wouldn’t mind going back up there to have a go.

I was there for a wedding just. I wasn't fishing unfortunately.

I did almost miss the rehearsal as I was sat on the rocks beside the Port-na-craig Inn, in a trance, wishing I had the rod with me. 😂

I never did see a fish in the tanks at the fish ladder either.

Always hoped to get back there too but never did.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Great post Jockiescott (y)

Groan
I was always led to believe a Cascade was a hackled dressing :unsure: same with all Ally Shrimp dressings ?

Yes but patterns evolve over time. Things like 'Minx cascades" have evolved to become very successful patterns in their own right. Such is life in the world of fly tying. 🙂