Tie of the Month: April 2020 We're in Lockdown - Improvise!

Tie of the Month April: 'We're in Lockdown - Improvise!'

• Ryan Houston

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clydebuilt

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Rainclouds

• Iain Mortimer

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Grassy Knollington

• DrPatrickT

• billy fish

• Jockiescott

• Fergal 1975

• CharlesW

• PerryPoker

• nwsalar

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Andrzej

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Wafty Cranker

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • GaryD

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • gwelsher

• Logan Houston

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Slaneybs

• Zamora

• mc andy

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Gpu

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

iainmortimer

Reaction score
March TOTM theme: We're in Lockdown - Improvise!
I was chatting to my parents this week, who are now both in their 80's, and they were telling me about the Smallpox epidemic in the early 1960's. Apparently, shopkeepers were treated like lepers because they were travelling around delivering goods which meant meeting people that had been in contact with smallpox. There was so much fear that even the usual community spirit that was generally much stronger then than now was falling by the wayside. Their main message though was that it wasn't as bad as Covid-19 because at least there was a vaccine that simply required rolling out and the epidemic was stopped. There were still shortages though given that there were not the same supply lines or means of communication as we have today.

Strangely in this current pandemic the lack of community spirit has seen the opposite occurring with communities starting to come together more in the realisation that support is needed and required and that neighbours need to receive or give support and so hopefully some long term good may come of it. Certainly nature is drawing a much longed for breath of air cleaner then she's had for a long time!

So to the tying. I'm pretty sure that fly tying materials are not seen as essential goods and so we should prepare for a shortage by practising a bit of improvisation using things we can readily lay our hands on because lets face it, our tying boxes only ever hold the bare minimum of what's required right? :wow: Okay maybe not but just pretend or this won't work :doh: So the challenge this month is to create a fly that uses no materials specifically dyed for fly tying AND that contains at least one 'recycled' material be that hair from your dog (or family!), tinsel from a wine bottle etc

Specific Guidance:
• You can tie on any hook, shank or tube you choose.
• No dyed feathers, furs or hairs (or their specific substitutes) - the only exception is wool.
• No out and out exotic feathers like Ibis and Indian crow. Jungle Cock, Guinea Fowl, Golden Pheasant, Peacock are acceptable as they are readily available and bred locally.
• Synthetics like threads and tinsels are fine in all their guises so long as they are not direct subs of natural materials eg fake seals fur is not allowed
• The fly must contain at least one recycled or scavenged material. It doesn't need to be the main feature but should be a prominent part of the fly.
• Please include a materials list. You're entry wont be rejected without one but many of the viewers like to copy the flies and the material list really helps.

Eleven commandments
1. The first rule of TOTM is that everyone is welcome to enter as many or as few months as you choose. As it currently stands there are no prizes this year and so enjoy the challenge and improvement in skill that will result. If a sponsor comes forward at any time that will be posted in the TOTM folder.

2. Anybody who has started tying salmon flies in the last 12 months can highlight this on their first entry to be considered for the title of 'Best Newcomer'

3. You can only enter one photo. Entries with more than one photo will immediately be disqualified.

4. Unless stated otherwise, the photo should contain only one pattern/version of a fly. There can be multiple copies of the pattern chosen, but they must be as far as possible identical in size and form so that it’s clear what is being voted for.

5. Each fly must have been tied for TOTM i.e. it should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or t'interweb. You can tie another version of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another thread to TOTM.

6. To encourage a bit of exploration and challenge, the tying competition will have a different theme each month. Every day is a School day so try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at.

7. At the end of the month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month and be open to everyone on the forum.

8. The December competition will be to decide the 'Tie of The Year', where members will vote for the best of the winning flies from the 10 monthly competitions. The points for this will be awarded in the same way as every other month.

9. Whichever participant has the most points at the end of the year wins the accolade of TOTM Winner and/or Best Newcomer

10. The competition will run from February 2020 to December 2020

11. Points will be awarded each month as follows. In the event of a tie for 1st, 2nd or 3rd, all tied participants will get the full points available for the placing.
• First place: 10 points
• Second place: 8 points
• Third place: 7 points.
• Each monthly competition entered: 4 points.

This means that you can place well in the whole event, without ever winning a single month's competition

Ryan Houston
Ryan Houston.png

Clydebuilt
Clydebuilt.png

Rainclouds
Rainclouds.png

Iain Mortimer
Iain Mortimer.png

Grassy Knollington
Grassy Knollington.png

DrPatrickT
Dr PatrickT.png

billy fish
billy fish.png

Jockiescott
Jockiescott.png

Fergal 1975
Fergal 1975.png

CharlesW
CharlesW.png

PerryPoker
PerryPoker.png

nwsalar
nwsalar.jpg

Andrzej
Andrzej.png

Wafty Cranker
Wafty Cranker.png

GaryD
GaryD.png

gwelsher
gwelsher.png

Logan Houston
Logan Houston.png

Slaneybs
Slaneybs.png

Zamora
Zamora.png

mc andy
mc andy.png

Gpu
Gpu.png

Last edited:

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
This will be interesting, my dogs are looking a bit nervous:lol:

PerryPoker

Reaction score
Google - Pussy Fly. There’s a guy in the US that makes and sells flies tied using his wife’s off cuts.

mc andy

Reaction score
This will be interesting, my dogs are looking a bit nervous:lol:
I'll go first then :redface:

As the theme was lock down due to corona virus, i decided to create the virus itself.

Not sure of the hook, was just something I had in my box.
Stripped some trilobal fritz from a few flies for the body.
Used a old mono running line for the feelers stocks then pinched my daughters bracelet for a few beads. So pritty much all recycled materials except the hook. Just a bit of fun hope it makes the brief?

IMG_20200401_211144.jpg

iainmortimer

Reaction score

As the theme was lock down due to corona virus, i decided to create the virus itself.

Used a old mono running line for the feelers stocks then pinched my daughters bracelet for a few beads. So pritty much all recycled materials except the hook. Just a bit of fun hope it makes the brief?

View attachment 43481
Now that’s inventive :lol: I have to say that from most of the images you’ve got the colour pretty much spot on too!

Andrzej

Reaction score

View attachment 43481
Where can I report a person spreading virus on the forum? ;) :lol: Brilliant fly mc andy!

ryan houston

Reaction score
The spey dog

DSCF2318_edited-2.jpg
LONG DEE HOOK
BLACK ROOSTER SIDE TAIL
SILVER FLAT WIDE
GOLD FLAT
BLACK WOOL SALVAGED FROM AN OLD HAT
TEAL
GP TAIL
BRONZE MALLARD

It was always gonna be a classic from me on this natural brief this is the Spey Dog from Francis Francis when I tied it for the Helsinki Spey Clave competition I tied it on a standard shank hook and that lost me a percentage of my score so this time I am true to form on the long dee hook perhaps the most difficult part of this deceptively simple pattern is the organised chaos of the reverse wound spey cock hackle at what point do you stop preening

Logan has a fly tied as well but wants to try a few other patterns before settling on his entry

silver seeker

Reaction score

View attachment 43481
Class Andy👌

woodcockandsewin

Reaction score

View attachment 43481
Disqualified as it missed the Poisson d' Avril deadline by 9 hours.

Great effort sir.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Cadbury's Pheasant Sparkle Piggie

Hi All, my entry is a play on a piggie style shrimp - using only natural pheasant for all hackles and feelers.

The recycled bit is the purple packaging from chocolate ( front body).

After that it all went tenuously to create something like a chocolate type colour thing - it is Easter after all 😀

Tight lines! All the best, Patrick

IMG_0852.JPG

Tag: silver oval
Rostrum: natural pheasant rump plus midge flash
Feelers: stripped brown feathers ( the thinnest I could pick out)
Back body: yellow glister dub brushed out; silver oval rib
Mid hackle: a brownish white hackle, stripped one side from the pheasant shoulder
Front body: purple chocolate packaging cut into a tinsel; silver oval rib
Front hackle: softer darker hackle to side of rump 1 turn
JC
Head: glo brite 3 for a splash of colour

Lamson v10

Reaction score

View attachment 43481
That's brilliant Andy :thumb: :lol: I'd bet you'd catch a few rainbows on that 🎣

Last edited:

mc andy

Reaction score
Hi All, my entry is a play on a piggie style shrimp - using only natural pheasant for all hackles and feelers.

The recycled bit is the purple packaging from chocolate ( front body).

After that it all went tenuously to create something like a chocolate type colour thing - it is Easter after all 😀

Tight lines! All the best, Patrick

View attachment 43496

Tag: silver oval
Rostrum: natural pheasant rump plus midge flash
Feelers: stripped brown feathers ( the thinnest I could pick out)
Back body: yellow glister dub brushed out; silver oval rib
Mid hackle: a brownish white hackle, stripped one side from the pheasant shoulder
Front body: purple chocolate packaging cut into a tinsel; silver oval rib
Front hackle: softer darker hackle to side of rump 1 turn
JC
Head: glo brite 3 for a splash of colour
Love the colours on that Dr.

The body especially just works. Nice tying :(

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I'll have a go with this one.

For some reason I had a foxford shrimp in mind when I tied this Hairwing.

Tag: fine oval tinsel
Butt: red knitting wool
Tail: GP topping
Body: Black knitting wool
Body hackle : natural creamy badger
Rib: medium oval silver
Front hackle: natural brown hen
Wing: natural grey squirrel
Overwing: A lump out of my springer spaniel
Eyes: jungle cock
Head: varnished red thread

IMG_20200402_172154.jpg

Great idea for a TOTM Iain and I look forward to seeing how this one develops. :)

ryan houston

Reaction score
John Anthony Shrimp LOGAN HOUSTON

DSCF2320_edited-2.jpg
We used some wool from a hat
I tied it out of flies of Ireland it said he tied it out of things he found in his wifes sewing kit
Logan Houston

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
K-9 Shrimp... in the style of Scandinavian salt water sea trout shrimp style patterns

Rummaged around for ingredients not at the tying desk - Here's the evidence of what I used :lol:
Proof.jpg

• Thread: Red Nano Silk
  • Tail: Pinch of the Labradors hair and a snip out one of my Mrs bobble hats
  • Feelers: "Wires" from my Hungarian Wire Haired Viszla's coat
  • Underbody 1: Red Wool from an old Xmas jumper bobble - teased, dubbed and well brushed out
  • Eyes: Scrap 20lbs Maxima, melted and coated in Orange nail varnish with a coat of UV resin
  • Underbody 2: Under fur from brushed out my Labradoodle's coat - teased , dubbed and well brushed out
  • Hackle: Ginger fur off a comedy Lions mane the kids bought our whippet - twisted in a dubbing loop and brushed out

Untitled.jpg

PS - No animals were harmed in the making of this fly , in fact, they thoroughly enjoyed their grooming session:thumb:

Cheers

CB

Last edited: