Tie of the Month 2021 - what a prize list! (and some changes and a theme) UPDATED!

SteveG

Reaction score
Great job Iain and super prizes.
A load of very generous top blokes on here.
I really enjoy the totm comp.
I've tied trout flies for years and have a vast amount of materials and tools but think my salmon flies are crap.
This is something your competition is making me want to do something about.
The flies posted on here are inspirational.
I'm real busy with my rods at the mo but have decided I'm going to make the effort to make my salmon flies confidence worthy.
You never know I might actually enter the comp some day.
Keep up the great work Iain.
If you throw in one of your rods as a prize I will learn to tie Flys👍 😂

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
If you throw in one of your rods as a prize I will learn to tie Flys👍 😂
Might not be out the question further down the line mate ;) (y)
I've just ordered 58 more custom blanks.
10 of each of the blanks I've designed so far as I am delighted with their performance so far, and I've designed another 4 blanks so will have a full range from single handers to 2 handers and a couple spinning rods too.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I've tied trout flies for years and have a vast amount of materials and tools but think my salmon flies are crap.
I'm real busy with my rods at the mo but have decided I'm going to make the effort to make my salmon flies confidence worthy.

When I eventually got into salmon fishing the one thing I had to do was start tying my own
fly's as there was no way on earth I was going to pay £5 or more for a salmon fly, went out and spent a fortune on materials and sat at the vice night after night till I got to where I thought they were OK, that year on the northie we had a lad pay us a visit on the beat we were fishing he had a wee look at my box ( only had one at the time) and he basically emptied it, I'd only been tying a few months and for him to purchase
my fly's was a big confidence booster, I did sell fly's for a wee while after that and the money went to upgrading all my salmon gear, I ended up spending more time at the vice than I did fishing so knocked it on the heid
I don't mind tying for people now and again but mostly I just give them away now

Looking at what you do with rods and Cork I'm pretty sure your tyings won't be to shabby TFS 👍

Lamson v10

Reaction score
10 of each of the blanks I've designed so far as I am delighted with their performance so far, and I've designed another 4 blanks so will have a full range from single handers to 2 handers and a couple spinning rods too.

You’ll be needing a unit soon for building your rod's 👍 TFS rod's 👍

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Thanks for those very kind words although I just see myself as the facilitator for a brilliant group of people! The success or failure of TOTM is very much down to everyone that plays a part and I’d be arrogant to pretend otherwise👍

Easer

Reaction score
I'm a little worried, as a newcomer, will I only be able to win the 50£ worth of fly tying materials, or will I also have a chance of thát second place....??? ;- ) ;- ) ;- )

Joke aside, where do I find the rules, deadlines etc....?

Bjarke.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I'm a little worried, as a newcomer, will I only be able to win the 50£ worth of fly tying materials, or will I also have a chance of thát second place....??? ;- ) ;- ) ;- )

Joke aside, where do I find the rules, deadlines etc....?

Bjarke.
Great to have you on board Bjarke👍

The rules do not change much year to year although as noted in the first post on this thread, the scoring will be extended this year. The rules are always posted each month along with the theme explaining the fly to be tied. If you have a look at last years TOTM monthly posts you will find the rules there.

Don’t worry about your standards for often the fly that wins is the one that looks like it will catch the most fish and so the odd error here or there does not mean you won’t win or place well😉

Iain

PerryPoker

Reaction score
Good stuff Iain and thanks again for putting all this together. Big thanks to everyone who has donated prizes. I’ll look forward to giving it another go this year again. 👏👏

Easer

Reaction score
Great to have you on board Bjarke👍

The rules do not change much year to year although as noted in the first post on this thread, the scoring will be extended this year. The rules are always posted each month along with the theme explaining the fly to be tied. If you have a look at last years TOTM monthly posts you will find the rules there.

Don’t worry about your standards for often the fly that wins is the one that looks like it will catch the most fish and so the odd error here or there does not mean you won’t win or place well😉

Iain
I have just walked my way through the 2020 montly competitions, so I got it....;- )

Looking forward to participate, and it is nice to have something driving the fly tying, other than fishing, however, it IS highly subjective what we like, I know thát from my "career" in photo-contests, back when I was Young....;- )
-So I'm in it for the fun, aaaand a small bit for thát second place (< well, the first place doesn't look too bad either....;- )

Bjarke

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Hope Clydebuilt is in again? I didn’t actually vote for his fly but it was the one that intrigued me the most.
Exactly same as me.
Can't wait to see what else clydebuilt comes up with or more of Ryan's masterpieces and love anything spectrum shrimp ties.
Then there's the amazing Dr.P, Snap T the list goes on and on.
So many first class tiers on here

Andrew B

Reaction score
Exactly same as me.
Can't wait to see what else clydebuilt comes up with or more of Ryan's masterpieces and love anything spectrum shrimp ties.
Then there's the amazing Dr.P, Snap T the list goes on and on.
So many first class tiers on here
In about 2010 I got into making classic salmon flies and thought my flies were the most amazing things ever lol. They were absolutely awful but I followed and learned of Ryan Houston and Marc Le Blanc from Canada. Ryan was a fly tying machine then lol. Oh and his son Logan who came fourth I remember when he was born lol. It’s like pardon me for thinking that tying salmon flies at this level is supposed to be really difficult?

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
Pretty discerning bunch on here imo? Love how this competition isn’t just about the obvious perfect fly or even the perfect tying?
It really like art, totally subjective, creative, orthodox to the outright wacky and everyone totally gets it lol.
That’s not always the case with some of those fly tying fairs lol. Some of the bitching and whining and the combination of a few too many glasses of whiskey resulting in proper fall outs, put me right off those places at the time.

Last edited:

Easer

Reaction score
If it is not against the forum rules, won't You please put a link to Your rods....???

Do You sell the blanks separately, would love to build myself an 12 ft #8 lightweight two handed rod for coastal fishing, and I'm looking for the right blank, but there's not a lot of blanks on the market any more, not reasonably priced anyway....

Bjarke.