Tie of the Month 2021 - what a prize list! (and some changes and a theme) UPDATED!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Thanks to the generosity of the people that enjoy Tie of the Month we have a brilliant list of prizes this year and some changes to reflect the level and standard of participation.

First the changes - well just one really!
The points awarded will be adjusted from just the top three, to the top six positions being awarded points:

1st place: 10 points
2nd place: 7 points
3rd place: 5 points
4th place: 3 points
5th place: 2 points
6th place: 1 point

This will only apply to entries that have received at least one vote.

Tie of the year will be treated as a separate competition and so will not affect the overall TOTM positions.

BUT...even if you score no points, you will still be awarded 4 points just for entering because I think the number of entries should have a genuine impact on the overall scores and even if you don't gain any points at all over the year, you could still win a very nice prize which leads me to....

Prizes
TOTM 1st Prize
: two days guided fishing on the River Findhorn
Donated by Glyn and Beel. They are the Association Secretary and Treasurer and know the water well but this has been donated from their own pocket rather than by the Association.

TOTM 2nd Prize: A bottle of whisky and engraved hip flask
Donated by SnapT14. This will be no run of the mill mainstream whisky and so you may need to decide whether you want to aim for second place!

TOTM 3rd place: A fly box
Donated by JimmytheFish. What fly tying competition would be complete without a fly box as a prize and we can never have enough of those - especially as the price of them seems to be sky rocketing!

Specified Theme on saltwater flies for salmon: A bottle of Talisker
Donated by Keirstream with the suggested theme.

Tie of the Year: a bottle of either Fettercairn or Glencadam Whisky (donated by MOWS)

Best Newcomer: Β£50 voucher towards fly tying materials
Donated by SteveG. This category has an element of trust to it for I have no way of checking! It is open to those who have limited experience of tying salmon flies and who are entering this competition for the first time. Please comment that you are a newcomer in your first entry.

Lucky draw for all entrants: a selection of the flies donated by the entrants
Every months entry will be matched by one entry to the draw and so the more you enter the greater the chance of winning! Depending on the number of flies submitted this could be split into more than one prize.

I hope you all agree that this is a set of prizes that we would all like to win and so I wish everyone the best of luck. As a heads up the first theme in February will feature.... salmon flies! Well you didn't really think I was going to tell you early did you? ;)

Last edited:

mows

Reaction score
Great stuff Iain.
Hopefully we get as good participation as last year.
As we saw, it's not always the most technical that wins.
More what everyone likes, so no excuse not to participate.

For new starts it an excellent way to learn and improve.

And remember.

Presentation counts.

The improvement in presentation and photography has matched the fly thing itself over the last 2 years.

One of the best bits of the forum for me.

I hope Jockie comes back to show these whiper snappers, just now to present fish catching hackles.

Thanks

Alan

SteveG

Reaction score
I cannot tie Flys but look forward to seeing this develop. Having only recently joined the forum I would be interested in putting in a prize next year

Edit : Thanks to Iain I've put a prize in this year for best newcomer πŸ‘πŸ‘

good luck everyone πŸ‘

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Brilliant iain πŸ‘ I'll put together a selection of fly's in a box for the lucky draw πŸ‘
That would be amazing thank you. If you are adding a box, would you be happy if anyone else submitting flies at the year end sent them to you as well and then they go in the box too. Having said that just shy of 250 flies were submitted last year and so even 20% of that would be a LOT of flies to fit in and is could need dividing into more than one lot. Let me know what you think because if felt like a lot of work I’m happy to do it.

keirstream

Reaction score
Apart from being truly impressed by the high standards regularly on display, I
have a personal interest in seeing your ideas and creations for tempting salmon
in brackish water. It is done quite a lot in the Western Isles and fish can be caught
on standard patterns.
But----------in the Far North and West Coast the salmon in these conditions are difficult to catch.
I've seen them caught (fluked?) on humungus type flies, to hitches but hard work I.M.O.
Can anyone come up with THE killer answer?:D

Last edited:

tealblue

Reaction score
in brackish water. It is done quite a lot in the Western Isles and fish can be caught
on standard patterns.
But----------in the Far North and West Coast the salmon in these conditions are difficult to catch.
I've seen them caught (fluked?) on humungus type flies, to hitches but hard work I.M.O.
Can anyone come up THE killer answer?:D
Yip dynamite!!

mc andy

Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210120_224638.jpg
    Screenshot_20210120_224638.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 30

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
on standard patterns.
Can anyone come up with THE killer answer?:D
I'd be super confident using clydebuilts micro muddler up North.
I could just see the v it would create in the surface before it disappearing in boil of water.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Thanks to the generosity of the people that enjoy Tie of the Month we have a brilliant list of prizes this year and some changes to reflect the level and standard of participation.

First the changes - well just one really!
The points awarded will be adjusted from just the top three, to the top six positions being awarded points:

1st place: 10 points
2nd place: 7 points
3rd place: 5 points
4th place: 3 points
5th place: 2 points
6th place: 1 point

Tie of the year will be treated as a separate competition and so will not affect the overall TOTM positions.

BUT...even if you score no points, you will still be awarded 4 points just for entering because I think the number of entries should have a genuine impact on the overall scores and even if you don't gain any points at all over the year, you could still win a very nice prize which leads me to....

Prizes
TOTM 1st Prize
: two days guided fishing on the River Findhorn
Donated by Glyn and Beel. They are the Association Secretary and Treasurer and know the water well but this has been donated from their own pocket rather than by the Association.

TOTM 2nd Prize: A bottle of whisky and engraved hip flask
Donated by SnapT14. This will be no run of the mill mainstream whisky and so you may need to decide whether you want to aim for second place!

TOTM 3rd place: A fly box
Donated by JimmytheFish. What fly tying competition would be complete without a fly box as a prize and we can never have enough of those - especially as the price of them seems to be sky rocketing!

Specified Theme on saltwater flies for salmon: A bottle of Talisker
Donated by Keirstream with the suggested theme.

Tie of the Year: a bottle of either Fettercairn or Glencadam Whisky (donated by MOWS)

Best Newcomer: Β£50 voucher towards fly tying materials
Donated by SteveG. This category has an element of trust to it for I have no way of checking! It is open to those who have limited experience of tying salmon flies and who are entering this competition for the first time. Please comment that you are a newcomer in your first entry.

Lucky draw for all entrants (to be confirmed): a selection of the flies donated by the entrants
Every months entry will be matched by one entry to the draw and so the more you enter the greater the chance of winning!

I hope you all agree that this is a set of prizes that we would all like to win and so I wish everyone the best of luck. As a heads up the first theme in February will feature.... salmon flies! Well you didn't really think I was going to tell you early did you? ;)
Great job Iain and super prizes.
A load of very generous top blokes on here.
I really enjoy the totm comp.
I've tied trout flies for years and have a vast amount of materials and tools but think my salmon flies are crap.
This is something your competition is making me want to do something about.
The flies posted on here are inspirational.
I'm real busy with my rods at the mo but have decided I'm going to make the effort to make my salmon flies confidence worthy.
You never know I might actually enter the comp some day.
Keep up the great work Iain.