Thurso River "non-refundable" deposit

Oscar

Reaction score
I see from the latest report that the hotel will open from the 15th July, which is great news.

Slightly annoying that they aren't bothering to keep the daily catches up to date.

Oscar.

Northerner

Reaction score
Hmm. I would imagine if the river is currently being fished by anglers in the locale, and that if those anglers were paying a fee to fish, that this might be a serious issue for those who had originally booked these weeks, paid their deposits and have had their deposits retained. I would suspect that this would be some kind of breach of contract, selling a product twice. It will be interesting to see whether catch returns for this period will be noted later and included in the annual catch return. Who might be catching the fish? And on what terms?

Bats3

Reaction score
Surely, since they were unable to deliver the contracted services, the contract is null and void. Therefore, on one hand it would be OK for local anglers to fish as long as it was within the lockdown restrictions. On the other hand it also means that the deposits for those weeks that were cancelled due to lockdown restrictions should be refunded, not withstanding their obligation to refund based on the Package Travel and Linked Travel Regulations 2018.

ozzyian

Reaction score
"Provision of fishing is not a tourism service"..... debate:)

So I wonder what a tourism service is? Perhaps you would argue that those people travelling to the far North and staying at a hotel on the banks of the Thurso well known for selling fishing packages would have been there anyway.

Yes, it's an interesting and finely balanced debate.

Last edited:

Forbes

Reaction score
Update for everyone's benefit. The company has announced that service they will provide is to be restricted by Covid measures, but that it will still cost the same amount. Secondly, they do not intend to pass on the reduced (5%) VAT rate to their customers - despite the Government being clear that this reduction was to stimulate demand, not to compensate businesses.

If you don't like it they say you 'can always cancel'. In which case they presumably plan to keep your deposit.

What a charming way to treat loyal customers. Pretty odd way to run a business isn't it?

Bats3

Reaction score
Update for everyone's benefit. The company has announced that service they will provide is to be restricted by Covid measures, but that it will still cost the same amount. Secondly, they do not intend to pass on the reduced (5%) VAT rate to their customers - despite the Government being clear that this reduction was to stimulate demand, not to compensate businesses.

If you don't like it they say you 'can always cancel'. In which case they presumably plan to keep your deposit.

What a charming way to treat loyal customers. Pretty odd way to run a business isn't it?
Thanks for the info. I'd like to say I am surprised. Their lack of respect for loyal customers is nothing short of staggering.

I have now completed the sequence of letters as recommended by CAB without any success. One of the owners sent me a couple of emails in response to my letters in which he offered me a week later in the year at an unspecified discount, but no refund for my lost deposit. I am not interested in this a) because I am only interested in fishing that river for spring fish, and b) why would I want to give them more of my money after they have treated me and other loyal customers in this way?

He also said, and I quote "I find the position you are taking, and the manner in which you have conducted yourself, to be highly unsatisfactory. The comments I have received from many other clients during the last fortnight would, I believe, tend to support my view."

I assume that what he means by first point is a reference to my posts here as all my direct communications with them have been strictly business like. With regard to his second point, I don't expect everyone to agree with my stance, but I would be surprised if many people are satisfied with the the way they have been treated in this matter But if as he says many other clients support his view then it would be interesting to hear their POV on this thread. As far as I can see not a single post, on what is now a very long thread, supports the actions of this fishery in this regard.

My next step is to lodge a small claim with the courts. But I'm guessing that even if I win I may still have a challenge getting my money back. But I wont let it rest until I have exhausted all my options.

Northerner

Reaction score

It strikes me that the clients of River Thurso are being treated with utter contempt by the owners. A disgusting way to do business.

Oscar

Reaction score
Update for everyone's benefit. The company has announced that service they will provide is to be restricted by Covid measures, but that it will still cost the same amount.
Any idea what this actually means?

Thanks.

Forbes

Reaction score
The hotel has published a sheet explaining the restrictions, most of which are understandable given the Covid issue. But they do mean you are getting less for your money (e.g. no daily room cleaning). But the main point is they are keeping the 15% gap in VAT as well.
Thanks for the info. I'd like to say I am surprised. Their lack of respect for loyal customers is nothing short of staggering.

I have now completed the sequence of letters as recommended by CAB without any success. One of the owners sent me a couple of emails in response to my letters in which he offered me a week later in the year at an unspecified discount, but no refund for my lost deposit. I am not interested in this a) because I am only interested in fishing that river for spring fish, and b) why would I want to give them more of my money after they have treated me and other loyal customers in this way?

He also said, and I quote "I find the position you are taking, and the manner in which you have conducted yourself, to be highly unsatisfactory. The comments I have received from many other clients during the last fortnight would, I believe, tend to support my view."

I assume that what he means by first point is a reference to my posts here as all my direct communications with them have been strictly business like. With regard to his second point, I don't expect everyone to agree with my stance, but I would be surprised if many people are satisfied with the the way they have been treated in this matter But if as he says many other clients support his view then it would be interesting to hear their POV on this thread. As far as I can see not a single post, on what is now a very long thread, supports the actions of this fishery in this regard.

My next step is to lodge a small claim with the courts. But I'm guessing that even if I win I may still have a challenge getting my money back. But I wont let it rest until I have exhausted all my options.

I do hope you win and take them to court again if they don't then pay.

Bats3

Reaction score
The hotel has published a sheet explaining the restrictions, most of which are understandable given the Covid issue. But they do mean you are getting less for your money (e.g. no daily room cleaning). But the main point is they are keeping the 15% gap in VAT as well.

Outrageous. My guess is that they are also saving money by not having to pay the cleaners.

Oscar

Reaction score

Hi Forbes. Do you know where we can get hold of this sheet?

Many thanks.

Forbes

Reaction score
They send it out if you have a booking. I guess you could also ask them for it?

Seetrouter

Reaction score
As well as airing it on this forum - and well done in that regard - surely a letter along the same lines as in here to Trout & Salmon wouldn't come amiss. These sort of "hotels" often leave such magazines lying around for residents and guests to read, and it may well find a wider audience, thus educating more people as to the disgraceful practices of this establishment.
Sounds like a good idea , but i doubt trout & salmon would want to get involved with this even though its a disgrace for such an establishment to act in this way .
I do wish the anglers who have lost their deposit the best of luck with a refund.

Wee Willie

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea , but i doubt trout & salmon would want to get involved with this even though its a disgrace for such an establishment to act in this way .
I do wish the anglers who have lost their deposit the best of luck with a refund.

Wee Willie

Reaction score
On the plus side, the river/hotel has provided a huge 120 x 50 foot marquee and food cooking gazebo to be COVID-19 compliant and friendly. Also extensive earthwork has been done to the banks at the Millstream and below on beat 2- very much an improvement.
The staff and ghillies are doing all they can to make guests welcome in difficult times.
it’s not all about profit.

Bulmer

Reaction score
On the plus side, the river/hotel has provided a huge 120 x 50 foot marquee and food cooking gazebo to be COVID-19 compliant and friendly. Also extensive earthwork has been done to the banks at the Millstream and below on beat 2- very much an improvement.
The staff and ghillies are doing all they can to make guests welcome in difficult times.
It definitely sounds like it's all about profit when they are not refunding people 🤔

ArchieL

Reaction score
Must say i am fortunate that on both my River Teith Syndicate days the Estates have been excellent and have contacted me asking if i would like additional days or money off the next years invoices due to Corona lost days.

Handel

Reaction score
My Tweed week in April was in two halves. Second half the estate deferred to 2021 no quibbles. First half the estate were planning to move everyone back a week in 2021 so they gave me my money back as that would have put the top bits of fishing in different weeks. No quibbles again.

Northerner

Reaction score
I personally don't see how basic COVID compliance measures, inevitable beat maintenance/improvement and the 'welcoming' attitude of staff and ghillies somehow justifies the appalling treatment of anglers by the owners. I'm with Bulmer, it does sound like it's all about profit. And such a bizarre attitude to adopt considering the attitude and measures that almost all other Scottish rivers have taken.