Thurso 2020 and 2021

Oscar

Reaction score
[Edit] You will find 2021 reporting beginning around post #40. That can be found on Page #2 so scroll down and follow if you wish :)

Hi All,

Not sure it's my place to start this thread, but since nobody else has I will!

Nice to see the river getting off the mark for 2020 on Saturday - quite an interesting pool for it to come from too; Gerston is a pool which looks and fishes fantastically, but rarely have I seen a fish, let alone caight one here!

Let's hope this is the first of a good season!

Oscar.

Last edited by a moderator:

tenet

Reaction score
Loopknot started a thread on this last week - good news but I suspect that many regular rods (including me) will be considering their position regarding travel. Lots of older fishermen and lots of foreign fishermen so lots of concern for the management of Thurso Fishings.

My pal lost a really good spring fish in Gerston the other year notwithstanding big John Spiers wading into the stream trying to net it.

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
I found Gerston good at times last season, sometimes outperforming all other pools. There was a point when the fish seemed reluctant to carry on through Beat 5 and a good head of fish congregated there and in Comlifoot. I stopped counting at thirty rises in half an hour one evening below the bridge last season.

On Gerston I learnt to walk up the right bank as far from the river as the path/wall allowed after seeing fish resting close to that bank towards the tail of the pool. There's a current which runs gently against the grassy bank about 10 yds up from the 'islands' at the bottom and the fish seemed to hold there, especially in lower, slower water. If you just follow the path you might put them down with the footfall or throw a shadow over them. It's worth first trying an acute cast near to the inside bank with a stripped retrieve to work the fly tight to the edge before casting right across the pool to fish it 'normally'. It might surprise a wary fish and induce a take if it's the first time it sees the fly.

smigel

Reaction score
Thanks to my ghillie I did coax a fish out of this pool in very low water, in the last few days before the 2018 drought took a grip. This was off the left bank, avoiding the spooking you mentioned. A bit of a stroll up from the town bridge. Timed at 0420, not usually my idea of fun....

riffled hitch

Reaction score
Gerston on beat 4, always a bit if an enigma to me that pool.
While I have caught fish from this pool it never seems to produce what people expect from it.
The one thing I have learnt over the years is it definitely fishes best from the far bank, which does mean a long walk for just one pool bit it does keep your profile down in comparison to the much higher more regularly fished bank.

I also noticed in social media that a second has been taken from the mil stream on beat 8,

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
The left bank of Gerston can be approached by car via the farm and a (relatively short) walk through the field. Bit of a pain (literally!) when the farmer puts an electric fence up though, I admit. :)
Good to read another is in the books and that the upper beats are beginning to fish.

Edited for gross stupidity!

Last edited:

tenet

Reaction score
.... also not the place to fish if you are remotely taurophobic.

I‘m sure it really is friendly and wouldn‘t hurt a fly etc. :eek:hwell:

I checked Google and spell checker came up with coulrophobia a fear of clowns rather than Bulls ? My fear was having to walk through 18inches of glutinous mud mixed with cow Shiite to get to the top of the beat.

LC are you saying you can drive up and park next to the farmers house?

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
I checked Google and spell checker came up with coulrophobia a fear of clowns rather than Bulls ? My fear was having to walk through 18inches of glutinous mud mixed with cow Shiite to get to the top of the beat.

LC are you saying you can drive up and park next to the farmers house?

I'm referring to the left* or 'far' bank, not the right past the barn, tenet. One drives over the bridge towards Thurso then takes the first left (opposite the football pitch) then left again. Park up somewhere sensible in the farm yard, go through the gate with the farmhouse to your right and amble down to Gerston, about 200 yds at a guess.

* My apologies, I've edited my post above because I still don't know my left from my right hand! :doh:

tenet

Reaction score
Should have gone to spec save - yes Peter took us to the left bank in 2018. Seem to remember walking through elephant grass and over a few ditches. Thanks for clarifying?

Markymac

Reaction score
Hi mate Gerston used to be a fantastic pool before the huge flood in 2006. Being from Halkirk and lived here all my life I had some great catches on Gerston growing up as a kid. It's still a decent pool but hasn't fished as well since the big flood

Coneheads

Reaction score
Report on Thurso A. A.
The prolonged drought conditions would have been terrible for anglers driving many miles to get here. There are place on Beat One that I can walk across in my shoes.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Salmon will be marooned below this place ? a repeat of 2018 but many months earlier, But weather to turn wetter later this week ?

Last edited:

Piker20

Reaction score
Just in time for the orca that are moving along east coast and should be in thurso in time to feast on the fish unless rain comes soon.

Coneheads

Reaction score
With Loch More empty , surely whoever controls the outflow ? there should be a plan in place to keep the loch full for when a drought persists a release of water could be a godsend ? More so when this lockdown has been in place for over 5 weeks ?

riffled hitch

Reaction score
This is a question I asked many years ago, why not hold the water back for when the river was well booked up with paying clients,
The reply to my question was that it had been tried before, hold it back for many weeks and wait for fish to arrive, then let the water go and hey presto, unfortunately the water goes stale if held back during prolonged droughts.

The Thurso is still a spate river at heart, and in my experience fished best with a splash of fresh water.

As for the loch being empty it's hard to tell from live camera.
the guage I would think at a guess it is still at around 7 foot, with 12 foot being the maximum capacity. The lowest I have seen it was during 2018 when loch level was at 3 inches, with the piers behind the cottage clearly on show. So far from empty yet.

riffled hitch

Reaction score
Had some extra fishing booked for 2020, lost 9 days due to covid-19. And set to loose another 12 days on the Thurso and that's not withstanding other fishing I have booked.
Never mind better safe then dead

tenet

Reaction score
This is a question I asked many years ago, why not hold the water back for when the river was well booked up with paying clients,
The reply to my question was that it had been tried before, hold it back for many weeks and wait for fish to arrive, then let the water go and hey presto, unfortunately the water goes stale if held back during prolonged droughts.

The Thurso is still a spate river at heart, and in my experience fished best with a splash of fresh water.

As for the loch being empty it's hard to tell from live camera.
the guage I would think at a guess it is still at around 7 foot, with 12 foot being the maximum capacity. The lowest I have seen it was during 2018 when loch level was at 3 inches, with the piers behind the cottage clearly on show. So far from empty yet.

I remember that well, went home after a few days - they were thinking of putting deck chairs on the exposed beach next to the dam?. Stuffed this year for June but without rain I have effectively saved the 75% balance for the let. Will see if September pans out.

Last edited:

Andrzej

Reaction score
Some local anglers (and me too) are getting impatient about the ban on fishing: You'll never take me alive nor stop me fishing :thumb::lol: The picture taken on a morning walk at the beat 1, unfortunately it's not too sharp.

DSC_0677.jpg

tenet

Reaction score
Should have been travelling North today - sums up my year really. "28" inches on the gauge and the Loch full to overflowing. 25% deposit forfeit, no boat fishing on my favourite reservoirs, membership of a syndicate on a 26 acre lake wasted as water temps are circa 20c after the hot spell, pubs still shut and a Deer trying to decimate our garden. (see photo gallery).

Coneheads

Reaction score
Thurso Beats putting catches back on their web site ,26 today(Monday) ,loch filling up again river at 17 inches ,ideal conditions, ,self catering lodges open, are the chalets still standing as they were going to knock them down ? and rebuild more lodges ?,way out of the working class budgets .

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the availability and cost of fishing on the club water is?
3 of us are up North and hoping to fish there tomorrow but can't find any relevant information on the F.B. page
and don't have mobile signal in our digs.
Cheers,
Tom.

Bigroger

Reaction score
Don't know if this will help. £40/Half day. Atlanta sports High Street Thurso, tel, 01847 895846.