Thunder Shrimp Variant

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I can’t remember the last time I tied an Irish Shrimp. I’ve been playing about with waddingtons and tubes in hairwing styles.

So, I tied this one.

9359DC31-5AAD-4140-BF32-7DE83AB55C8B.jpeg

This uses really old guinea fowl given to me by a friend. It actually has a sticker on it saying “Blue Jay Substitute”. It has a much more vivid, electric, blue than modern stuff I feel.

SnapT14

Reaction score
I can’t remember the last time I tied an Irish Shrimp. I’ve been playing about with waddingtons and tubes in hairwing styles.

So, I tied this one.

View attachment 59206

This uses really old guinea fowl given to me by a friend. It actually has a sticker on it saying “Blue Jay Substitute”. It has a much more vivid, electric, blue than modern stuff I feel.
Absolutely fantastic Richard.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Wow ,Wow, Wow absolutely stunning fly and tying jockiescott 👌 can see that doing some serious damage 🎣🎣

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Wow ,Wow, Wow absolutely stunning fly and tying jockiescott 👌 can see that doing some serious damage 🎣🎣

Cheers Sir! 👍

I’m looking forward to some big water to give this a proper go. 🙂

Almost scared to try it before the summer in case I hang it in a bush before the grilse get a chance to see it. 😂

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Might be tying a few imperfect copies, is the rear body gold oval tinsel, that’s what it looks like?
Tnx

Yes, oval gold.

Pattern is as follows:

Tag: medium oval gold
Tail: GP breast
Rear body: medium oval gold
Middle hackles: yellow hen under orange hen. (2 turns of each)
Front body: Black seals fur ribbed with medium oval
Front hackle 1: Orange hen
Eyes: JC
Front hackle 2: Blue guinea fowl

Hope this helps!

Ypres

Reaction score
Fantastic fly.
Please tell me it’s tied on an at least size 6 as I have just tied one on a size 8 and it looks distinctly’crowded’. Lol.
Len

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Fantastic fly.
Please tell me it’s tied on an at least size 6 as I have just tied one on a size 8 and it looks distinctly’crowded’. Lol.
Len

Yes that is a size 6. I must try an 8 to see how I get on! ☺️

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Unfinished and overdressed on a size 8!
Will try again tomorrow on a 6 once I have recovered from tonight’s malt.View attachment 59414
Still a very fishable fly! That will take fish no problem. (y)

The length of the guinea fowl might make it look a little overdressed but that won't stop the fishing from taking it. It is hard to get usable guinea that short in a bag right enough.

Nothing wrong with that sir! ;)

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thanks for that! :LOL:

I've been off alcohol for lent. Come Sunday evening, I'll definitely be partaking of a few malts myself!!! Well, I say a few, but after 7 weeks the smell of it might be enough to knock me over!!! :LOL:

Ypres

Reaction score
Thanks for that! :LOL:

I've been off alcohol for lent. Come Sunday evening, I'll definitely be partaking of a few malts myself!!! Well, I say a few, but after 7 weeks the smell of it might be enough to knock me over!!! :LOL:
They always say the first one is the worst. After that it’s easy!

keithick

Reaction score

So, I tied this one.

View attachment 59206

Nice tying Jockie 👌