Thunder & Lightning

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Another attempt at a mallard winged fly.

Far from perfect but one of the best attempts at this pattern I've ever made. Although the bar isn't too high for me on that! :lol:

Again, no mallard went in the bin tying this one either which is all I really want.

I'm looking forward to using this one. :)

IMG_20200414_134944.jpg

IMG_20200414_135102.jpg

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
That's a cracking fly and very hard IMLE to get the wing that good on a double. If it doesn't catch, there's nae fush ;).

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Not much wrong with that one. I particularly like that you have the topping cascading on both sides of the wing :thumb:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Not much wrong with that one. I particularly like that you have the topping cascading on both sides of the wing :thumb:
Thanks chaps! :)

There's a GP head that I would normally use but I could find it just when I was tying that. This is one that I kept as a spare but it is actually a lot better quality than the one I normally use. The tippets are a lot better on it too.

charlieH

Reaction score
So nice to see jay rather than dyed guinea fowl! As ever, who knows whether the fish care, but I much prefer it. Did you wind it on, and if so did you split the quill?

Jockiescott

Reaction score
So nice to see jay rather than dyed guinea fowl! As ever, who knows whether the fish care, but I much prefer it. Did you wind it on, and if so did you split the quill?
I prefer Jay myself CharlieH and this was the last bit of blue that I had on the wing. It is wound on as a hackle and I stripped any brown fibres off the feather and doubled any blue fibres towards the tip. I barely got more than one turn of doubled fibres before I was into the single fibres.

ibm59

Reaction score
Nice to see the orange NOT wound the full length of the body as is so often the case
Nice one , Richard. :thumb:

Andrzej

Reaction score
Very nice fly Jockiescott, especially that's not easy to tie mallard wings is smaller sizes.

SnapT14

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply

I love the shape of it, particularly the slight outward curve of the hook point.

Will keep my eye out for some on ebay.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply

I love the shape of it, particularly the slight outward curve of the hook point.

Will keep my eye out for some on ebay.
They do turn up from time to time if you keep an eye out for them. I bought these ones in a local tackle shop. They were all he had left in them or I would have bought more.

Fergal1975

Reaction score
Here’s my attempt. It took a hell of a lot of spit to get the wing like that 🤣🤣🤣
D6AE711E-CCDD-4856-9A7E-02323E66B4FF.jpeg

Last edited:

pellinore

Reaction score
big fan of thses feather wings I think the js is a bit more colourful though thses are like pimped up dunkelds