Thoughts on a 7 wt

ejr

Reaction score
Evening all. I’m retiring my old 7wt double hander (NOT switch!) as it’s too soft for my casting style these days and is generally in a bit of a state.

It might sound arse about tit, but I’ve got a nearly new 7wt Outbound which I love, loaded on an old Marquis No1 both of which have plenty of life left.

so my question is this - what are your thoughts on a nice crisp actioned (not stiff!) 11’6 - 12’6 7wt that will work with this line - seems lots of rods of this smaller size are now classed as switch rods and line classification / action might not work with the Outbound? Maybe I’m wrong?
Cheers

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Evening all. I’m retiring my old 7wt double hander (NOT switch!) as it’s too soft for my casting style these days and is generally in a bit of a state.

It might sound arse about tit, but I’ve got a nearly new 7wt Outbound which I love, loaded on an old Marquis No1 both of which have plenty of life left.

so my question is this - what are your thoughts on a nice crisp actioned (not stiff!) 11’6 - 12’6 7wt that will work with this line - seems lots of rods of this smaller size are now classed as switch rods and line classification / action might not work with the Outbound? Maybe I’m wrong?
Cheers

I use a B&W Salmon / Sea Trout 11’3” DT 7-9 and an 11’3” Powerlite Speycaster with that line and it’s a great match for me. The action of these rods sounds spot-on for you, although it is a bit shorter than you wanted. The ‘Salmon / Sea Trout’ handle isn’t ‘Spey’ style as standard, but if you stumped up for a new one I’m sure they’d sort that out.

At 12’6 the Sage Method 6,7 and 8 weights are lovely rods, if a bit hard to find.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Tees88

Reaction score
I have a Loop Cross s1 switch 11' 7' #7 & it's incredibly light but has so much backbone. Perfect for delicate presentation, but will handle Salmon & ST no problem

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
I had a shot of a pals Greys grxi 11’6” double hander . lovely rod ( if you can get your hands on one)

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Cheers
I have but one suggestion being a #7 Hardy Swift Mk. 2 in 11'6", I still have 2 of them and once had three due to being a fish guide. They are the best all round (2 hand) I've ever used. I can cast my personal rod with a 475 grain Scandi long (36 foot belly) as well as any rod I own and love the Swift. You can find other posts here praising this rod if you search so not just me saying so.

One of my lines is an old RIO Outbound Long 475 at 37 feet and it's just a slick combo with the rod.

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
Apologies , I can’t . It might have been a 450 grain rage line , but I can’t be sure. I think it was 6/7 rated

Greegs

Reaction score
Not sure about the line, but if you're after a true 12' 7weight double hander, IMO you won't go far wrong with the Loop Cross S1. A crisp action and for me great with a 30 gram head. I christened mine with a 17 pounder yesterday. They are on offer at 40% off here:
Cross S1 Medium Fast Action Double-Hand - The Fly Fishing Centre (ffcentre.com)

Or even a cross st 12.2 7#.

An absolute joy to use & im anything from 28g to 33g with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tcorfey

Reaction score
My favorite rod that seems to meet your criteria is a 11’6” HARDY “SWIFT Mk II DH” Graphite 4/1. 6 2/3 oz. #7 line. Might be able to find one on the used market.

ejr

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input folks, much appreciated. It’s actually a grxi 11’6 that I’m retiring!

lots of options to consider here, and certainly recommendations that I hadn’t considered at all! Might be a trip to Angling Active in the next week or so to test some of these.

thanks guys 👍

Rennie

Reaction score
If you look about a Hardy Zenith 12ft 6 ins 7 rated, wonderfull rod, a sheer delight with a 510 Airflo Scandi compact.
Pedro.

grayghost

Reaction score
This past year I bought a Bruce and Walker Powerlite 11' 3" 7-8-9 Speycaster and it is great. It seems like this is exactly what you might be looking for. However I have not used it with the particular line that you mention.

Neil W

Reaction score
I have two 12’2” 7wt rods. The Cross S1 as already mentioned is a great rod and it’s 6pc so travels well
i also have the RJC 12’2” 7wt which is a 5pc but you can get it in 6pc too now. This is a bespoke made rod in the U.K. and totally brilliant. On both these rods I would use the 7/8 Rio outbound Spey line but any good line in the 30g range should be excellent.
both rods are great.

Greegs

Reaction score
I have two 12’2” 7wt rods. The Cross S1 as already mentioned is a great rod and it’s 6pc so travels well
i also have the RJC 12’2” 7wt which is a 5pc but you can get it in 6pc too now. This is a bespoke made rod in the U.K. and totally brilliant. On both these rods I would use the 7/8 Rio outbound Spey line but any good line in the 30g range should be excellent.
both rods are great.

Mines is an RJC Loop & a fantastic rod.

Haven’t bitten the bullet yet & bought one new from Ross but no doubt i will succumb to the temptation.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Vision XO 12'8" (nominal 12' 6"), which is a genuine #7 with Rio lines, delightfully delicate and covers a monstrous acreage of water.

ejr

Reaction score
Thanks all - some expensive kit to consider! Having not been in the market for a rod for 5+ years it’s amazing how many are out there in the £800 plus bracket - this sport certainly isn’t getting any cheaper!

Greegs

Reaction score
Thanks all - some expensive kit to consider! Having not been in the market for a rod for 5+ years it’s amazing how many are out there in the £800 plus bracket - this sport certainly isn’t getting any cheaper!

There’s a guy on Facebook selling an RJC 12”2 Loop brand new.
£320 I think it is.

If I was you I’d be biting his hand off for it.

Greegs

Reaction score