This weeks Angling Times magazine.

GeeBee

Reaction score
Has a nice story about a guy catching a 1lb Dace in a Thames backwater.

Which is lovely, but what fascinated me was that the guy said he was there targeting 'small grayling' on maggots and he caught a few before he caught a sizeable dace, near his 'west london home'...

He is kidding them right ?

I checked and there is no record of them in the Wandle.

I have to think this is a wind up.

Beefly Dave

Reaction score
One of the wandle clubs runs a species comp. I'm fairly sure grayling were caught a few years back. I'll check with my mate who fishes thereabouts

ACW

Reaction score
pretty sure there are no grayling in the wandle ,Charlie H ,my son and i were all big into pulling rubbish from the Wandle a decade or more ago .I certainly never saw any ,or heard of them .
i have a vague memory from way back early 70s that Thames water tried a stocking as a canary down the mine thing but they didnt take .

charlieH

Reaction score
pretty sure there are no grayling in the wandle ,Charlie H ,my son and i were all big into pulling rubbish from the Wandle a decade or more ago .I certainly never saw any ,or heard of them .
i have a vague memory from way back early 70s that Thames water tried a stocking as a canary down the mine thing but they didnt take .

There was definitely no evidence of grayling in the Wandle when I was involved there, though that was some time ago now and some people (including at least one of my fellow trustees) were very keen that they should be introduced as part of the restocking programme. Maybe they eventually got their way, though I seem to remember that there was some resistance from the powers that be; I have a feeling there was no hard evidence that the river had ever supported a population of them, and as such they would be considered aliens.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
What makes you assume it was the Wandle? I know grayling were stocked in the Colne many years ago, whether there are still some there, I have no idea?