Thermal gear for under waders

Tyke

Reaction score
A Harris Tweed "Wading Thong" for sub zero days & the "usual" studded PVC one for more temperate conditions.

Of course, if you weren't a past member of the "young conservatives" then you could just opt for a heavy weight pair of thermal long john's & a fleece bib & brace - but where's the fun in that?

Regards, Tyke.

Dryfly

Reaction score
I have quite bad arthritis in my legs so keeping them warm is key to being able to fish. Cold getting in on a Feb. Monday morning would spoil nearly a weeks fishing. So, I've spent a lot of time on this.

I've three methods covering warmish, cold and chitterring bollox off cold. In addition to having roomy breathables I do this:

Warmish - merino wool thermals and bib fleece strides.
Cold - merino wool thermals and skiing salloppetts
Chittering bollox off - merino wool thermals, softshell cold weather trousers and as per diver Dave a dry suit under suit.

One key thing I do is make sure there is plenty of room around my feet and that they are comfortable. With neoprene socks under neoprene stocking feet I make sure none of the leg wear crams down inside the stocking foot reducing movement (for when things swell up) and making foot holds unstable. So, the thermal leggings have been cut off a little short, carefully measured to fit inside the longer neoprene socks but not into the stocking feet (get someone to help with this, if you do it yourself bending down to measure...........). For the sallopettes I've removed all the studs, zips etc from the ankles so there is nothing hard to press into the ankle (amazing how just 20 inches of water can put pressure on those hard bits)!

As for neoprenes, they are OK with thermals and soft shell trousers, but and a big but, they always get damp and if you take them off next time they go on its a nightmare for the bones. So, I make sure the breathables are properly waterproof (thanks to diver dave) and if they do spring an reparable leak then I put the neoprens on as a last resort simply not taking them off for the week. Can be a bit uncomfortable in bed but it's worth it.:)

glen afton

Reaction score
thermals

been useing hardys ews base layer .then on top off that ews fleece top and bottons simms exsream socks . never had any problems

Last edited:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Snowboard pants (Special Blend - lined) and snow and Rock Longies. Super toasty and long legs for us long legged creatures.