The Turning Fly

witherby

Reaction score
I would go along with Ashley Cooper, that after I had caught a hundred fish I thought I knew everything, and after I had caught a thousand I realised I knew nothing.

Ah! I remember the days when I knew everything. I must have been at least 23 when I discovered I knew nothing. At least now I realise I do know something!

gotoneon

Reaction score
I would go along with Ashley Cooper, that after I had caught a hundred fish I thought I knew everything, and after I had caught a thousand I realised I knew nothing.

Ah! I remember the days when I knew everything. I must have been at least 23 when I discovered I knew nothing. At least now I realise I do know something!

Witherby,
Was like ma old Grandpa used to say. . . "I taught you all you know and now you know nothing" :D:D:D:D

Was it not the Tweed Ghillies in particular who used to get their dogs to swim across a pool to stir the fish up??

compagnito

Banned
Reaction score

1000 fish by the age of 23?

Grey Monkey

Reaction score
The Turning Fly ?

I recall reading an article in a book called " Trout & Salmon Fishing " by Roy Eaton, published around 1981.....

in the section on Salmon ....JR Harris advises on a technique used on the Ash Tree Pool in Ballina , a cast upstream and across was made and a V allowed to form in the line....the V was allowed to drift downstream as the nearer leg of the line lengthened the far leg shortened , when there was only a yard or so of line left on the far leg of the V he began pulling in by hand to increase the speed of the fly. The change in the fishes behaviour was immediate, he says. Five grilse and one red 15 lb Springer? in the boat as a result.

He says " When this method is used the fly has time to sink several feet because of the distance the line drifts with little drag, and when the end of the line and cast are finally pulled around the apex of the "V" the fly following the cast is drawn towards the surface . It maybe the ascending half-spiral -like course of the fly excites the salmon's curiosity"...

Sounds similar to the Turning Fly ?. but J RHarris in 1981 called it Twirling the Fly

As I fish the Ash Pool the article was of particular interest back then.:)

bobster

Reaction score
Very informative ,though I'll have to study it a bit more to take it all in, I'm new to the sport and seems that everone I speak to has varying opinions, guess i try a few recommendations and come up with whatever suit me.
Thanks

cullet

Reaction score
turning fly

Something l did in the 90's,standing at the head of a run 100yds long with a deep pool at the end.l would cast a line then feed some line off the reel to cause the line to belly dramatically then l would hold the line to make the fly speed up and turn the takes were exciting.lt was a fly l got from trout n salmon mag along time ago and no matter what the temp was, it were the floating line that produced the goods

Last edited: