The Tay Aberfeldy

Pancho

Reaction score
I am coming up to Aberfeldy early October Covid19 permitting going to have few days chilling and a walk up the Birks ton look at the walkways and bridge I was involved in building when I was in the Royal Engineers back in the day . Anyway I have got a day ticket for the Tay the town beat at Aberfeldy any tips appreciated

Stuart1108

Reaction score
Had a walk up thair last week was lovely pats very good and wee burn was full of trout. When I was young we used to sit on concrete wall at end of park near distillery and dangle a worm inmo the pool thair dont know if that would be allowed now noone checked back then lol anyway if u go out head down river past distillery take a left just after graveyard follow the wee track through wood down to river there was a good pool thair and nice runs below rapids this was of course 15 years ago may have changed now think it would be town water not sure tho up towards the golf course was always lovely fly water early morning and late at night

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I am coming up to Aberfeldy early October Covid19 permitting going to have few days chilling and a walk up the Birks ton look at the walkways and bridge I was involved in building when I was in the Royal Engineers back in the day . Anyway I have got a day ticket for the Tay the town beat at Aberfeldy any tips appreciated
I've got an amazing walk to do not so far away from there. Its a secret hermits cave with tunnels under ground opening up to a view point of a waterfall. Truly spectacular. Pm me for info as it not well known and I'd like to keep it that way.

Pancho

Reaction score
I've got an amazing walk to do not so far away from there. Its a secret hermits cave with tunnels under ground opening up to a view point of a waterfall. Truly spectacular. Pm me for info as it not well known and I'd like to keep it that way.

How do I PM you mate ? cant find it

Pancho

Reaction score
island Pool just above general wades bridge is deffo town water and worth a cast :)

Thanks mate whats the best method ?
Had a walk up thair last week was lovely pats very good and wee burn was full of trout. When I was young we used to sit on concrete wall at end of park near distillery and dangle a worm inmo the pool thair dont know if that would be allowed now noone checked back then lol anyway if u go out head down river past distillery take a left just after graveyard follow the wee track through wood down to river there was a good pool thair and nice runs below rapids this was of course 15 years ago may have changed now think it would be town water not sure tho up towards the golf course was always lovely fly water early morning and late at night

Cheers

happy days

Reaction score
Thanks mate whats the best method ?

Cheers
Fly off the right bank mate you'd probably have to spin off the left due to trees, its probably 15-20 years since I've been I would ring the numbers on their club site and ask for up to date advise, google maps on satellite will show you the deep pools :)

Pancho

Reaction score
Hi All

Back to Abefeldy at the end of June got a day free for a bit of fishing. Is it too early up there for Salmon ? If so is there any decent trout fishing in the area ? Thanks in advance

Pancho

Reaction score
Hows the Tay fishing just wondering what the best approach is for the Town Water Is it I gather there is not much water at present so I might try for trout is there any decent Trout water near Aberfeldy ? Thanks in advance

happy days

Reaction score
Weem hotel used to do tickets for that beat, In the seventies Norris green mission church used to take a tribe of kids off the estate me included to camp every summer for two weeks on weem farm right on the banks by the island and the trout fishing was free.

Pancho

Reaction score
Hi All

Back up first week in September never got chance to fish last time due to circumstances looking to have a go for Salmon

bankwheel

Reaction score
Very few salmon will come off upper Tay now mate. Lower Tay is where to fish at the moment
Not sure about this, we have always did well at this time of year on the Upper Tay beats, all the pools will have fish in them, there may not be so many fresh fish but as long as they are moving from pool to pool you always have a chance. Its also not heavily fished at this time of year.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Not sure about this, we have always did well at this time of year on the Upper Tay beats, all the pools will have fish in them, there may not be so many fresh fish but as long as they are moving from pool to pool you always have a chance. Its also not heavily fished at this time of year.
Here’s last weeks catches for the Tay. Only one fish off most lower beats. Upper Farleyer did well with 3.
compare that to the lower Tay catches. These figures will be even worse next month when the op is going to there.
Always a chance of fish. But real thin on the ground up there later in the year these days.
713DAA09-CAA5-4C1D-9313-63551F8C1A5B.png

Attachments

• 1E325076-DCD4-41DE-9ADB-877272F2D65F.png
    1E325076-DCD4-41DE-9ADB-877272F2D65F.png
    484.7 KB · Views: 21

bankwheel

Reaction score
Yes I did see that, the back end runs are gone but there are still fish in the pools so always optimistic. I’m heading to Kinnaird this week fo a few days, a lot of fish seen but tough to get due to the scorchio conditions. Better make sure I have my factor 50 with me 😀🎣