The sweep

burnzy

Reaction score
How much of the bottom hand do people use on the sweep.my anchor isnt landing as sweet (crupling slightly) as i like,and i am making sure not to dip the rod to much?.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rennie

Reaction score
I dont dip at all Burnzy,much preferring a slow lazy top hand orientated sweep of the rod only just dragging the line upstream until the leader arrangement and a bit of fly line contacts the water,I favour a low rod point to start with the line and loop forming beneath it,my rod point rising as I sweep through the upstream movement,then I slightly lift the rod point directly up in the air a few inches at the last possible second.This keeps the loop tight and in D formation and as straight as possible also in line with the intended target as much as I can.
The greater loop control you have the better the cast you'll get and more probably the less oomph you'll need to get it out there too!.
But thats just me!.Hope that helps.
Pedro.

burnzy

Reaction score
I really like Robert Gillespies explanation of this important part of the cast...makes a lot of sense for me, hopefully it will do the same for you. :)

http://youtu.be/OSYnDzuwIac
This has definatley helped .i was maybe being a bit picky as my line was getting out there but this has made the anchor touch down alot sweeter and making the cast alot more efficient.

Thanks alot for that mate .and what a cracking explanation by robert.and#128077;and#128077;

Strathglass

Reaction score
This has definatley helped .i was maybe being a bit picky as my line was getting out there but this has made the anchor touch down alot sweeter and making the cast alot more efficient.

Thanks alot for that mate .and what a cracking explanation by robert.and#128077;and#128077;

Good stuff, glad it helped...but don't thank me, thank minitube(Robert) on here. :)

I just always liked the way Robert explains it and it often pops into my head when that part of my casting goes wrong - which is quite often. :eek: