The Shannon ahhhhh well.

(Smolt)

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that Jack, enjoyed watching it but also didn't, if you know what I mean? The changes are drastic.

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Don't know what to make of that Jack.
Not sure whether to laugh or greet .

As is usual Tom, when I see or read about the great runs we once had, I weep, silently of course. Last weekend maybe a half a dozen fish were caught in our local river and it provoked something close enough to a gala. Time was when any half decent angler would get half a dozen at least one day in the season. And, it seems,we never learn. best

Slaneybs

Reaction score
A Bord Failte and ESB ad which seems a bit confused on geography - the early fishing shots look like one of the western rivers and not the shannon.

Reaction score
The ESB killed the goose that laid the golden egg, 20% to the commercial market my "A" more like 70-90% my father worked on Thomond weir back in the day only fish above 10pound in weight were selected to sell onto the English, German & French Markets.

The smolt producing pots in Ardnacrusha are only running at 10/15% production theses days, so the greedy pigs and their commercial companions killed the mighty Shannon off. The strange thing about it is they have the finances to restore the Shannon to it's past glory but that will never happen.

The big reason why the Shannon died a death was building a hydro electric dam (ARDNACRUSHA)
The Shannon was know for it's genetic huge Atlantic Salmon but that now is in the past, in Ardanacrusha they use a worm type mechanical system to elevate spawning fish up the lift, this system has a high risk of crushing the spawning fish which believe me I've seen it, this system should be totally redesigned.

If I were in Charge this is what I would do:

1. Get the Hatchery up and running to it full potential have 2 x Hatcherys producing 750k - 1million smolts per year, which would allow for the mortality rate which I believe is between 95/98%
2. Cull the Cormorant population on the lower Shannon Region.
3. 24hr patrol on the lower Shannon for net's and other methods of poaching.
4. Open the lower Shannon to Fly only C&R (Fisherman on rivers are the biggest deterrent to poachers)
5. Remove all Dams, obstacles that cause an obstruction for migratory species i.e. Salmon,Seatrout Sea Lamprey etc.
6. Have a proper Team in place that know how to run a proper Business module to bring back Anglers & Tourists back to this mighty river and region.

Anyway rant over Thanks Jack for uploading this film.

JACK POWER

Reaction score
The ESB killed the goose that laid the golden egg, 20% to the commercial market my "A" more like 70-90% my father worked on Thomond weir back in the day only fish above 10pound in weight were selected to sell onto the English, German & French Markets.

The smolt producing pots in Ardnacrusha are only running at 10/15% production theses days, so the greedy pigs and their commercial companions killed the mighty Shannon off. The strange thing about it is they have the finances to restore the Shannon to it's past glory but that will never happen.

The big reason why the Shannon died a death was building a hydro electric dam (ARDNACRUSHA)
The Shannon was know for it's genetic huge Atlantic Salmon but that now is in the past, in Ardanacrusha they use a worm type mechanical system to elevate spawning fish up the lift, this system has a high risk of crushing the spawning fish which believe me I've seen it, this system should be totally redesigned.

If I were in Charge this is what I would do:

1. Get the Hatchery up and running to it full potential have 2 x Hatcherys producing 750k - 1million smolts per year, which would allow for the mortality rate which I believe is between 95/98%
2. Cull the Cormorant population on the lower Shannon Region.
3. 24hr patrol on the lower Shannon for net's and other methods of poaching.
4. Open the lower Shannon to Fly only C&R (Fisherman on rivers are the biggest deterrent to poachers)
5. Remove all Dams, obstacles that cause an obstruction for migratory species i.e. Salmon,Seatrout Sea Lamprey etc.
6. Have a proper Team in place that know how to run a proper Business module to bring back Anglers & Tourists back to this mighty river and region.

Anyway rant over Thanks Jack for uploading this film.
not a rant at all, entirely sensible