The Sentience Bill, salmon catch and release and Packham

lefthandup

Reaction score
No one would condone killing fish like that. I can’t believe they even posed for photographs. I can only assume they just don’t know any better. Don’t know what river they are from but if anyone killed a fish like that on the Tweed they would be liable for prosecution.
Happens every year on the whiteadder.

lefthandup

Reaction score
There are so many people who simply don't have a f#####g clue salmon fishing these days ...what you see in those pictures is the result of that .

Yet you have maniacs on here saying we need more people to participate incase the antis get their way.

An absolute atom bomb train of thought.

Loxie

Reaction score
Thing is somewhere between 90 and 95% of salmon die after breeding and it's higher in male fish, so maybe ...

But has anyone ate a back-end salmon?
I have. I was served some smoked salmon from a hen like that once. It was pretty awful. A coloured cock isn't too bad. Not that long ago fish like those would be taken routinely. I suspect anyone who has been fishing for more than 30 years will have done so too.

Its actually the one good thing about the fashion for CR that fish like that are routinely returned now. It's pretty sad that anyone is allowed to fish for them though.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
It's not the first time & I'd doubt it will be the last time either, they where pretty happy gloating about it. Their answer to the complaints was they're allowed to take fish so what's the problem.

"They all taste the same when they come out of the pan" is the usual response here.
🤦‍♂️🤢

However, I suspect that many of them are dumped.

Tees88

Reaction score
Once a salmon of either sex has mated it's a near certainty that they'll die anyway, so perhaps C&K is less harmful than it looks at that point.
That's certainly a weird viewpoint, but each to their own. Salmon add valuable nutrients when they're dead into the river system & promote a healthy ecological system, so they aren't a waste product once they have spawned.

Loxie

Reaction score
Once a salmon of either sex has mated it's a near certainty that they'll die anyway, so perhaps C&K is less harmful than it looks at that point.
I think there is a considerable difference between killing one before and after spawning. On some rivers a surprising number of hens will survive to spawn again and they are very often the most successful. Personally I don't think taking any rod caught fish will be harmful from a conservation point of view but it's a pretty nasty sight to see fish that far gone killed. I'm all in favour of people being able to take a fish or 2 to eat but I really don't think it's ok to fish for fish that are so obviously close to spawning. Run timing changes and seasons should change too. The trouble is that in England the EA are only going to shorten seasons and if runs change again they will most likely remain short.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Happens every year on the whiteadder.

I suppose with the Whiteadder being a spring river, the majority of fish will be pretty black by the end of August/September. That of course also means that they are actually killing spring fish. If you had been on better terms with the bailiffs, I would have suggested having a word.

It’s many years since I’ve seen a fish that colour killed on the Tweed. It certainly used to happen in the bad old days, when virtually everything was killed regardless of colour. There was surprisingly, a ready market for them too. It’s the one plus side of salmon farming, that virtually no one would now buy a fish in that condition.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
There are so many people who simply don't have a f#####g clue salmon fishing these days ...what you see in those pictures is the result of that .

Yet you have maniacs on here saying we need more people to participate incase the antis get their way.

An absolute atom bomb train of thought.

I understand your frustration, now the Whiteadder has been getting very busy these days, with lots of new anglers joining. Perhaps the downside of posting your success on YouTube?

lefthandup

Reaction score
I understand your frustration, now the Whiteadder has been getting very busy these days, with lots of new anglers joining. Perhaps the downside of posting your success on YouTube?
I don't think my YouTube has very much to do with how busy the whiteadder get....more on how they market it and their lackadaisical approach to how the river is run.
As long as the bank balance keeps building they don't care.
Like much of your Tweed system ...it's run by dinosaurs.

If you think that river is the only problem with kipper chappers then your more blind than I thought.

Because I say what I see and you don't like it (because it's the truth) and you know it...you seem to revel stating the opposite.

Get rid of your tweeds and your tie at the back end an join the real world.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I suppose with the Whiteadder being a spring river, the majority of fish will be pretty black by the end of August/September. That of course also means that they are actually killing spring fish. If you had been on better terms with the bailiffs, I would have suggested having a word.

It’s many years since I’ve seen a fish that colour killed on the Tweed. It certainly used to happen in the bad old days, when virtually everything was killed regardless of colour. There was surprisingly, a ready market for them too. It’s the one plus side of salmon farming, that virtually no one would now buy a fish in that condition.
I've seen them killed whilst working on the river ....I remember seeing some horrendous looking fish heading for the smoker.

What would being on better terms with the bailiffs achieve ?
They're useless.🤣

Loxie

Reaction score

In the early 1980's my father was invited to fish the Helmsdale in late September. The 2 rods they fished caught well over 40 fish for the week, all coloured, all killed and all sold by my father's host, as was virtually every other fish caught that week.

Scierra

Reaction score
Rods see the catches on Fishpal, the BDAA Whiteadder has outfished , Ladykirk , Pedwell, Horncliffe , Tweedhill and many more beats on the Tweed , and grassed as many as all 4 beats in May with 30 , a season visitor ticket costing the cost of approx 2/3days in the spring , and 1 day august onwards, heard some say its getting similar to combat fishing on the easy accessed pools ?

lefthandup

Reaction score
Rods see the catches on Fishpal, the BDAA Whiteadder has outfished , Ladykirk , Pedwell, Horncliffe , Tweedhill and many more beats on the Tweed , and grassed as many as all 4 beats in May with 30 , a season visitor ticket costing the cost of approx 2/3days in the spring , and 1 day august onwards, heard some say its getting similar to combat fishing on the easy accessed pools ?
Nice to see someone is doing the maths and not pointing the finger 👍

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
I don't think my YouTube has very much to do with how busy the whiteadder get....more on how they market it and their lackadaisical approach to how the river is run.
As long as the bank balance keeps building they don't care.
Like much of your Tweed system ...it's run by dinosaurs.

If you think that river is the only problem with kipper chappers then your more blind than I thought.

Because I say what I see and you don't like it (because it's the truth) and you know it...you seem to revel stating the opposite.

Get rid of your tweeds and your tie at the back end an join the real world.

I think you would be surprised just how much social media is responsible for anglers fishing new locations. Also, it is often the very anglers that you seem to detest, the inexperienced ones, who are most likely to watch these videos on YouTube, possibly to try and learn where to go and what to do. I actually know of two people who stated fishing the Whiteadder this year purely as a result of one of your videos.

The same reason the upper Tweed was inundated with Grayling fishers last autumn, after some people started posting pictures of salmon they had caught on Grayling bugs.

You certainly seem to have a bee in your bonnet regarding the Tweed, the RTC and its bailiffs??? Did your spell as a Tweed ghillie cause you to feel that way? Also, I’m not sure what it is that you are saying that is the truth, that I am stating the opposite of? Or are you referring to your claim, a while back, that poachers were blatantly poaching with nets on a daily basis, in the estuary and the bailiffs were supposedly turning a bling eye?

I am also very much part of the real world, thank you. Unless of course, you regard the real world as somewhere that you have to walk around in a state of resentment towards so many others (proprietors, commissioners, guides, inexperienced anglers, bailiffs and anyone in Tweeds or a tie) as you, unfortunately, come across, as appearing to do.

Last edited:

lefthandup

Reaction score
I think you would be surprised just how much social media is responsible for anglers fishing new locations. Also, it is often the very anglers that you seem to detest, the inexperienced ones, who are most likely to watch these videos on YouTube, possibly to try and learn where to go and what to do. I actually know of two people who stated fishing the Whiteadder this year purely as a result of one of your videos.

The same reason the upper Tweed was inundated with Grayling fishers last autumn, after some people started posting pictures of salmon they had caught on Grayling bugs.

You certainly seem to have a bee in your bonnet regarding the Tweed, the RTC and its bailiffs??? Did your spell as a Tweed ghillie cause you to feel that way? Also, I’m not sure what it is that you are saying that is the truth, that I am stating the opposite of? Or are you referring to your claim, a while back, that poachers were blatantly poaching with nets on a daily basis, in the estuary and the bailiffs were supposedly turning a bling eye?

I am also very much part of the real world, thank you. Unless of course, you regard the real world as somewhere that you have to walk around in a state of resentment towards so many others (proprietors, commissioners, guides, inexperienced anglers, bailiffs and anyone in Tweeds and a tie) as you, unfortunately, come across, as appearing to do.
You can write a good post but talk a load of tripe...my YouTube channel has footage of many rivers ....I think it's you who has a bee in their bonnet....I've no grudge to bear towards anyone including yourself...I just tell it as I see it.

I never said social media is not responsible...The BADAA are right up there on their own in the social media circus with the new secretary they appointed 🤣

Now instead of quoting my post...answer @Scierra who hit the nail on the head instead of having a pop at me constantly..

lefthandup

Reaction score

I am also very much part of the real world, thank you. Unless of course, you regard the real world as somewhere that you have to walk around in a state of resentment towards so many others (proprietors, commissioners, guides, inexperienced anglers, bailiffs and anyone in Tweeds and a tie) as you, unfortunately, come across, as appearing to do.
You can write a good post but talk a load of tripe...my YouTube channel has footage of many rivers ....I think it's you who has a bee in their bonnet....I've no grudge to bear towards anyone including yourself...I just tell it as I see it.

I never said social media is not responsible...The BADAA are right up there on their own in the social media circus with the new secretary they appointed 🤣

Now instead of quoting my post...answer @Scierra who hit the nail on the head instead of having a pop at me constantly..

lefthandup

Reaction score
But don't worry folks... Horsburgh will be on the forum telling us all he's seeing fresh salmon running the upper Tweed in October 🤣🤣

Horsbrugh

Reaction score

I’m sorry you feel that I am constantly having a pop at you. I am only aware of a couple of occasions that I have felt the need to contradict you. But that is what the forum is all about, after all. We are all allowed different opinions and ideas and hopefully we can debate them, in a civilised manner. You should not take things so personally.

I don’t disagree with the points Sierra raised. Catches on Fishpal and reasonable prices will always attract anglers. I had also heard about the combat fishing at times. Very early starts appear to be necessary in order to access the best bits first.

Loxie

Reaction score

I am also very much part of the real world, thank you. Unless of course, you regard the real world as somewhere that you have to walk around in a state of resentment towards so many others (proprietors, commissioners, guides, inexperienced anglers, bailiffs and anyone in Tweeds or a tie) as you, unfortunately, come across, as appearing to do.
Perhaps the reason he doesn't like Tweed bailiff's is because he has confessed on this forum that he used to be a poacher.

Loxie

Reaction score
I’m sorry you feel that I am constantly having a pop at you. I am only aware of a couple of occasions that I have felt the need to contradict you. But that is what the forum is all about, after all. We are all allowed different opinions and ideas and hopefully we can debate them, in a civilised manner. You should not take things so personally.

I don’t disagree with the points Sierra raised. Catches on Fishpal and reasonable prices will always attract anglers. I had also heard about the combat fishing at times. Very early starts appear to be necessary in order to access the best bits first.
He has a very fragile ego and is best put on ignore. He was banned from here under a different alias because of this and still hasn't learned.