The Sentience Bill, salmon catch and release and Packham

Nabber

Reaction score
If there was ever a greater threat to salmon fishing it is this bill.
Catch and release plays into the hands of those anti fishing (and other country sports) hands.
C&R removes the catch for food tradition and turns it into a sport. Sentience is all about that. Catching for fun animals that suffer pain is the golden nugget for the anti's

Tangled

Reaction score
Fly fishing has always been a sport. If you were fishing purely for food a salmon rod is the last thing you'd pick up.

D

Deleted member 21851

Fishing is unique alongside other field sports in that it is a sport that provides food for the table.
The fact you don't *need* that food on the table is irrelevant.

Nabber

Reaction score
I don't understand this. Surely shooting is a field sport that provides food for the table, too, isn't it?
As I said "and other country sports", which includes shooting.
The bill affects any activity, sport or otherwise involving all animals including fish, crustaceans, game practically any animal.

D

Deleted member 21851

I don't understand this. Surely shooting is a field sport that provides food for the table, too, isn't it?
And shooting is a field sport which is why I said unique alongside other field sports.....as opposed to football, cricket etc...

D

Deleted member 21851

For me, calling angling a sport and in particular competitive angling is a very bad thing. It plays into the hands of the antis because it implies we are using animals for sport and competition with no regard to the welfare of the animal in question.
Same with CCR.

If we keep angling an important part of our cultural heritage and celebrate the fact we can sustainably take such an amazing source of food for our tables we will fare much better against the antis.

If I had my way I'd ban CCR and competition angling. Maybe that's just me.

reelit1

Reaction score
Shooting is also under attack as part of Lord Goldsmith's campaign to make us all vegans, no doubt he has made Parliament aware of his conflict of interest in pushing this Bill forward. His position in Defra, his attitude to his brothers illegal release of wild boar and red deer Zac gave his full backing suggesting his brother should be rewarded for his rewilding efforts. He also has connections with Lacs. Should he really be involved in this Bill given his record and bias.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
If there was ever a greater threat to salmon fishing it is this bill.
Catch and release plays into the hands of those anti fishing (and other country sports) hands.
C&R removes the catch for food tradition and turns it into a sport. Sentience is all about that. Catching for fun animals that suffer pain is the golden nugget for the anti's

This is potentially a very real threat. It is exactly why C&R for any fish, is banned in Germany and Switzerland. Only undersized fish are allowed to be returned. It is classed as causing unnecessary suffering, whereas fishing with the intention of killing a fish to eat is classed as justified. Tormenting fish purely for fun, could ultimately prove to be very hard to justify in the not too distant future. I sincerely hope I am wrong but this bill could certainly cause us a few problems.

rytenuff

Reaction score
This is potentially a very real threat. It is exactly why C&R for any fish, is banned in Germany and Switzerland. Only undersized fish are allowed to be returned. It is classed as causing unnecessary suffering, whereas fishing with the intention of killing a fish to eat is classed as justified. Tormenting fish purely for fun, could ultimately prove to be very hard to justify in the not too distant future. I sincerely hope I am wrong but this bill could certainly cause us a few problems.
Does this also apply to course fishing? You have to eat the fish you catch?

charlieH

Reaction score
And shooting is a field sport which is why I said unique alongside other field sports.....as opposed to football, cricket etc...

Not all field sports produce food for the table though - Oscar Wilde famously described fox hunting as 'the unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable'. If I were being picky, I might also suggest that cricket and football are games, rather than sports, but that's a distraction from the thread.

Hoddom

Reaction score
Im I missing something? Its a bill to set up a committee to review if proposed Government legislation will harm animals if passed?

the committee would have no power to present bills - only to check new bills, in themselves would not cause harm. What am I missing?