The S S , collection

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Great looking patterns. Can I ask how you create the eyes please?

For trout fishing, trigger points are key. The eyes draw you to the pattern and I feel they could be a good trigger for the fish!

Scierra

Reaction score
Geordie
Areete , , my opinion on the eyes in 1,,, gives it life, flies look alive don't you think ?,

JC just looks pretty , doesn't give the fly life ? reason why I no longer have any now scrapped the lot , prob the most over rated, over used,over priced feather going because of demand . I have grassed more fish on flies with no jc than with, those without Peter Ross, Alexandra, Black Shrimp, Ally Shrimps ,Cascade etc to name a few

Some make their own eyes ?
I Purchase mine , Veniards Fly Eyes Small Black

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Geordie
Areete , , my opinion on the eyes in 1,,, gives it life, flies look alive don't you think ?,

JC just looks pretty , doesn't give the fly life ? reason why I no longer have any now scrapped the lot , prob the most over rated, over used,over priced feather going because of demand . I have grassed more fish on flies with no jc than with, those without Peter Ross, Alexandra, Black Shrimp, Ally Shrimps ,Cascade etc to name a few

Some make their own eyes ?
I Purchase mine , Veniards Fly Eyes Small Black
Wey Ahm Areete Scierra man. :)

Although new to salmon fishing with only 1 to my name.... I have fly fished for 44 years (I think), and trigger points all help the final choice of the fish to take. Its not the most important point, just one of the things that help. I have now tied 6 boxes of salmon flies since March 2020. Mostly of known patterns. But we all fish the ones that initially catch our eye and with experience, the ones we catch most of our fish on in a given set of conditions. I want to catch fish on my flies, and I really like these eyes as a trigger point. Little crackers they are!

Scierra

Reaction score
Framed S.S collection of doubles, Tied them back in December 2015, hard to get a clear pic ( glare) in frame on my wall, This was taken on a seat in my fishing den , separate pic out of frame, no ifone then

latest (4).jpeg

latest (3).jpeg

Scierra

Reaction score
2017season ,, 13 lb on Pink plastic Tube, not a great pic as I decided to take the pic of the fish that had been in a bag for an hour ?
Grassed on a "Shake Rattle & Roll Rod" :cool: not a Sage ?

3 key points,,,,
No matter what rod you fish with be it a Shakey or a Sage etc all depends whats on the end of your leader and how you perform with your rod . and what lies beneath in the depths of water you are fishing ?

DSC02386.JPG

DSC02387.JPG

DSC02390.JPG

S D Pink (2).jpeg

6.5lbs on a Red & Silver

DSC02395 (3).JPG

DSC02396.JPG

IMG_0759.jpeg

Last edited:

Sethsamon

Reaction score
They are catching fish that's what counts lovely selection and tied well fair play to you 👍👍

Scierra

Reaction score
I have tied up a couple of GBWG 's S.S.style size 8 double & 5/8ths copper tube with a copper cone
I have never fished or caught on WG patterns . may give them a swim

Wullie 2 (2).jpeg

Wullie 4 (2).jpeg

Wullie1.jpeg

Scierra

Reaction score
S. S's ? Stinger Shrimps
Tied these up in close season to give them a swim, called stingers , the tips of the golden pheasant fibres look kind of stingy ? 3 colour co-ordinated, Red,Yellow ,Orange.

I fished the yellow & orange dressings on a couple outings last season on the Tweed, I had a tweak / neb off both one day no connections ? and on another day fishing a deep slow pool I did not know the fish had taken the fly when lifting off , resulting pulling it out of its mouth ?
cursed I did !
The dressings back then were hackled with GF tippet feathers, they looked so uneven/untidy, and as it was the last visit on the Tweed .
I re- dressed them tying in the tippet fibres separately ,and look more the part , close to the hook eye the tails I always tie in long.
pics taken from different positions

5 st .jpeg

ISt 90.jpeg

Last edited: