The S S , collection

Scierra

Reaction score
SCIERRA SHRIMPS
Deadly best describes them
All Shrimp flies pictured below I have caught Salmon and Seatrout on , mostly colour co-ordinated, and xmas tree decoration- crystal/lureflash free ! no salmon flies were dressed with these flashy tinsely-fied decorationspre pre-1970 ? Its the crystal flash that catches anglers , Natural dressings of trout flies never don tinsel ,just the stripping lures .
I have updated from my original dressings, My motto is fish with confidence is key for sure , and its good to fish with fly the fish have never seen before when migrating up river . and triggers and resembles a bit like what their menu was at sea ?

Although I have fished and caught on many of the popular shrimp patterns up to 7 years ago, For me these flies have given me so much confidence , The norm is to have up 3 or 4 favourite patterns, mine is 8 up to present ,

I also dress tubes and sunray type in these , I may post some here at a later date

Pink Double
Hook- Partridge Patriot size 4 to 10 doubles
Feelers 3 Pink boar bristles
Head Whiskers-Pink cock saddle fibres
Black Small Shrimp eyes
Body -Pink Holographic tinsel
Rib- Medium silver wire
Legs- approx 4/5 yellow boar bristles tied evenly
all round dressed curved outward tied in
(under the hackle)
Hackle -Pink cock
Tail - Red Varnish under clear
Pink Shrimp (2).jpeg

Black & Gold Double
Hook- -Partridge Patriot size 4 to 10 doubles
Feelers --3 Yellow boar bristles
Head Whiskers--Orange & Yellow cock saddle fibres mixed
Black Small Shrimp eyes
Body -Yellow Holographic tinsel
Rib- Medium silver wire
(under the hackle) and red cock saddle fibres tied
in either side
Hackle - Black cock
Tail - Black Varnish under clear

Black & Gold Prawn (3).jpeg

Black & Silver Double
Hook-Partridge Patriot size 4 to 10 doubles
Feelers -3 Yellow boar bristles
Head Whiskers- Black & yellow on top, cock saddle fibres
Black small shrimp eyes
Body -Silver holographic tinsel
Rib- Medium silver wire
Legs- 4/5 Yellow boar bristles (ditto on D.R above.)
Hackle- Black Cock
Tail- Black Varnish under clear

Black & Silver.jpeg

Orange Double
Feelers 3 Orange boar bristles
Head Whiskers-Orange red cock saddle fibres
Black Small Shrimp eyes
Body -Orange Holographic tinsel
Rib- Medium silver wire
(under the hackle)
Hackle - Orange Red cock
Orange.jpeg

Blue & Silver Double
Feelers 3 Yellow boar bristles
Head Whiskers-Yellow cock saddle fibres under Blue
Black Small Shrimp eyes
Body -Silver Holographic tinsel
Rib- Medium silver wire
Under Hackle --Red cock fibres tied in either side ( Or optional yellow B.B.)
Hackle - Teal or kingfisher Blue under Black
Blue.jpeg

Red & Silver Double
Feelers-- 3 Red boar bristles
Head Whiskers--Scarlet red cock saddle fibres
Black Small Shrimp eyes
Body -Silver Holographic tinsel
Rib- Medium silver wire
(under the hackle)
Hackle - Scarlet Red cock
silver Red (2).jpeg

Yellow Double
Feelers-3 Yellow Red boar bristles
Head Whiskers-Scarlet red cock saddle fibres,& yellow mixed
Black Small Shrimp eyes
Body -Yellow Holographic tinsel
Rib- Medium silver wire
(under the hackle)
Hackle - Scarlet Red cock & Yellow mixed
IMG_0661.jpeg

Another view
Uncased (2).JPEG

Deadly Red Double
Feelers 3 Red boar bristles
Head Whiskers-Scarlet red cock saddle fibres
Black Small Shrimp eyes
Body -Red Holographic tinsel
Rib- Medium silver wire
(under the hackle)
Hackle - Scarlet Red cock
The Deadly Red (2).jpeg

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
Superb looking flies and couldn’t agree more about the lureflash and yes you wouldn’t dream of putting it on a trout fly so why Salmon?
Like how you’ve used this pattern with all the traditional colour types.

Scierra

Reaction score
I think I saw the Deadly Red in the T&S some time ago. Excellent flies (y)
For sure you are correct , That was my write up (y) The Editor named the article "A Prawn by any other name" and another Deadly Red article in the defunct magazine "Practical Game Fishing " in the early 1990's

That's why I have said upgraded/tweaked the dressings on all of them ,Originally all finer boar bristles were used instead of the hackles, but they are not numerous enough, I still incorporate 4 or 5 boar bristles in most of the tyings but cock hackles have far greater movement, I also have removed any glitter/crystal flash ,the fly doesn't need it.
I was watching a Mackenzie podcast (great viewing), the discussion was singles doubles and trebles, he said doubles can fish upside down ? I totally agree with him if a fly was dressed on doubles as a monkey or winged , as some tank tests have proved , and more so if you dress up a fly that actually looks like a shrimp, it will swim upside down every single time if tied on a double or a single hook ! Trebles ? I've never tried

A hackle shrimp dressing are even all round as on pics above, on doubles & tubes armed with doubles, the shrimp flies will fish more or less upright , and the curved out feelers can give it more movement and keep the double fishing on a level plain ,
As I have said it all started with the Deadly Red ,because way back when I fished dyed Ruby Red natural shrimps , natural brown shrimps are all the same colour as dyed ones are too .
My favourites are Red & Red & Silver, very close behind are all the rest .
I have another dressing ongoing at present yet to grass on , had 2 offers last season they were brief encounters on the 2 occasions I fished it ,but again back on the vice in close season and upgraded them too . Named "Stingers"

Last edited:

Andrzej

Reaction score
For sure you are correct , That was my write up (y) The Editor named the article "A Prawn by any other name" and another Deadly Red article in the defunct magazine "Practical Game Fishing " in the early 1990's

That's why I have said upgraded/tweaked the dressings on all of them ,Originally all finer boar bristles were used instead of the hackles, but they are not numerous enough, I still incorporate 4 or 5 boar bristles in most of the tyings but cock hackles have far greater movement, I also have removed any glitter/crystal flash ,the fly doesn't need it.
I was watching a Mackenzie podcast (great viewing), the discussion was singles doubles and trebles, he said doubles can fish upside down ? I totally agree with him if a fly was dressed on doubles as a monkey or winged , as some tank tests have proved , and more so if you dress up a fly that actually looks like a shrimp, it will swim upside down every single time if tied on a double or a single hook ! Trebles ? I've never tried

A hackle shrimp dressing are even all round as on pics above, on doubles & tubes armed with doubles, the shrimp flies will fish more or less upright , and the curved out feelers can give it more movement and keep the double fishing on a level plain ,
As I have said it all started with the Deadly Red ,because way back when I fished dyed Ruby Red natural shrimps , natural brown shrimps are all the same colour as dyed ones are too .
My favourites are Red & Red & Silver, very close behind all the rest .
I have another dressing ongoing at present yet to grass on , had 2 offers last season they were brief encounters on the 2 occasions I fished it ,but again back on the vice in close season and upgraded them too . Named "Stingers"
Thank you Scierra. I like simplicity and shrimpy look of these flies. I'll try to tie a few.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
They look great scierra, a nice not heavily dressed fly. Not really thought about putting eyes on a hook - but can imagine those eyes with the piggie bristles looking super shrimpy. Love the orange version. I can see why they are deadly! 👍

Fons

Reaction score
I have caught Salmon and Seatrout on ,
Is there a special way to fish shrimps? Close to the bottom; subsurface or in between? And are they fished in rather slow moving deep pools OR also in shallow places with fast currents?

Scierra

Reaction score
They look great scierra, a nice not heavily dressed fly. Not really thought about putting eyes on a hook - but can imagine those eyes with the piggie bristles looking super shrimpy. Love the orange version. I can see why they are deadly! 👍
Yes , some flies are way over heavily dressed, even more so when some dressings bodies are blocked off and more so when JC is tied in , I can't see the point of dressing an attractor body that can't be seen ? The eyes give the flies "Life" more so the way you fish them , Note all my dressings the holographic bodies are all well visible , if you hold the fly at eye level and view it from behind the eyes are well visible , this has got to get a reaction from salmon ?

Scierra

Reaction score
Is there a special way to fish shrimps? Close to the bottom; subsurface or in between? And are they fished in rather slow moving deep pools OR also in shallow places with fast currents?
Fish them with confidence as you would ,figure 8 and stripplng at all depths and in falling spates etc , The main thing is to know you are covering fish? otherwise you will blank as usual . I have them tied on Brass & copper tubes too , to fish deeper , I probably put pics up on this thread ?

Scierra

Reaction score
Yes , some flies are way over heavily dressed, even more so when some dressings bodies are blocked off and more so when JC is tied in , I can't see the point of dressing an attractor body that can't be seen ? The eyes give the flies "Life" more so the way you fish them , Note all my dressings the holographic bodies are all well visible , if you hold the fly at eye level and view it from behind the eyes are well visible , this has got to get a reaction from salmon ?
Pics , fishes rear level views ? before engulfing

Orange
Rear orange.jpeg

Red & Silver
Rear1.jpeg

Pink
Rear 2.jpeg

Yellow
Rear 3.jpeg

Deadly Red
Rear 4.jpeg

Last edited:

Scierra

Reaction score
More pics, from the S.S.collection
Tied these up for when I win the lottery to fish the Oykel :LOL: ,single hooks only there,
Flying With Wings, wing length approx 3.75 inches, kinda sunny rayed,

I have grassed with the Black & Orange and the Orange & Yellow on the Thurso on a tube dressings.
I must say I fancy the Red & orange to do some damage too
All these 4 dressings are similar to dressings to Shrimp dressings , but no feelers or Boar Bristles as they would restrict wing movement , The wings are all goat hair, Like I have quoted earlier no flash tinsel or JC are needed, the fish will see these 30 yds away, Tinsel flash always annoyed me on flies I tied in the past , they used to kink and ravel sometimes,

4 singles (2).jpeg

The Collection all below
Below Box full of Doubles, one dressing not fished yet , Black and Chartreuse ,2 one in each corner
Deadly Shrimps (2).jpeg

Below themed on sunrays in Tubes and doubles
Hairwing Shrimps (2).jpeg

Below 4 of a kind X 2 S.S. Pinks & Yellows shrimps and sunrayed
Pink selection.jpeg

Yellow sellection.jpeg

Below ,Tube selection S.S. Dozen, 2 yet to grass on ,Black top left , and top 3rd left themed on gold bodied Wullie Gunn

SS Dozen.jpeg

Below The same12 above tubes but set in a circle
Circled (2).jpeg

Not a sign of any crystal flash in sight.
Approx 50% of my S.S. collection ,Probably just enough for the season. :D:D:D

Last edited:

Scierra

Reaction score
My try on the Scierra Shrimps, these are #8. I think I could add a turn or two more for hackles. Many thanks Scierra for posting your pattern (y)

View attachment 59801
I prefer a bit more hackle on mine , but not so so you can't see the holo bodies.
what are you using for the eyes ? and size ?
The more feeler bristles you tie in the less movement you get off them ,
I only tie in 3 cos you might snap a one off ? 2 is fine,,, natural shrimps have 2 feelers only

I notice quite a few on here tying allys and cascades,shrimp flies with feelers now , I fished cascades with feelers 8 years ago

Last edited:

salmonless

Reaction score
Can I ask please, how do you/where do you get the eyes. And also how is the body made up? Is it just floss with mirage tinsel and wire? If you could post a recipe that would be awesome. They look incredible! Thanks for posting

Andrzej

Reaction score
I prefer a bit more hackle on mine , but not so so you can't see the holo bodies.
what are you using for the eyes ? and size ?
The more feeler bristles you tie in the less movement you get off them ,
I only tie in 3 cos you might snap a one off ? 2 is fine,,, natural shrimps have 2 feelers only

I notice quite a few on here tying allys and cascades,shrimp flies with feelers now , I fished cascades with feelers 8 years ago
Thanks Scierra for your advice, I'll try to improve my next flies. I make the eyes from 0.4mm nylon, size is about 2mm diameter. I don't have too much experience with feelers, actually have started using them in my flies last year, but they proved to be attractive to the salmon :D

Scierra

Reaction score
Thanks Scierra for your advice, I'll try to improve my next flies. I make the eyes from 0.4mm nylon, size is about 2mm diameter. I don't have too much experience with feelers, actually have started using them in my flies last year, but they proved to be attractive to the salmon :D
I don't like to criticise your tyings they are superb ,but maybe the eyes are a bit on the big size ? Maybe not as blown up pics are deceiving ? But wow you have made them yourself which is brill, something I haven' t got round too ?I've had a few attempts ? But with nearly 200 doubles and tubes I'm in no rush to tie many more ,

Last edited:

Scierra

Reaction score
Get Down ,Getter Rem Down (Status Quo ! )

3 . Tubes, All great "Grassers"
All dressed on copper tubes & brass cones,
I like my flies to look rugged, as in the Red with Yellow B.B. tied under wing,
The Yellow and Orange tubes I have omitted the B.B. some may find it awkward tying in the under hackle B.B. ?

Deadly Red, Red Cone

Deadly Red (2).jpeg

Deadly Yellow Tube, Gold Cone
Hackle-- Yellow & Orange cock mixed

yellow tube.jpeg

Deadly Red & Orange, Copper Cone
Hackle --Scarlet & Orange cock mixed

Copper Conehead (3).jpeg

Last edited:

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've decided to Pin this thread because it certainly shows a lot of different combinations. Although they don't have the material recipe with most appear easy enough to sort out for tying.

Well done.

Scierra

Reaction score
I've decided to Pin this thread because it certainly shows a lot of different combinations. Although they don't have the material recipe with most appear easy enough to sort out for tying.

Well done.
Since there are no recipes/dressings , I have edited the first 8 doubles, and added dressings, and a few hints on some of the other pics, as I have had a few messages asking for dressings etc.

Cock hackles are a must as Hen hackles will clag to the bodies, The body is the "hot spot" attractor . I fished the Tweed a couple of days ago and fished a Yellow Holographic bodied approx half inch tube ,& showed up like a shining star in the gin clear water,sunny day it was , never seen a fin all day ? pity there wasn't a fish or 2 about .

I hope some members on here will give them a drowning, don't give up if you don't catch first time, as we all have blank days,

Full S.S. Collection, as you can see I fish with only my dressings, I have way too many, but you gotta fill your close season days in somehow .

My other fishing boxes

Box 1.jpeg

Box 2.jpeg

Box 3.jpeg

The Full S.S. collection
all 7.jpeg

Last edited: