The River Moy

Handle bars

Reaction score
Anybody who fished the bubble and fly on the Moy, I have a question.
Do you find two flies work better than one or is there a specific reason to use two. Some people swear by a bright shrimp on the top dropper and a dull one on the bottom but I'm not sure, I seem everyone fishing the two shrimp flies the other day and nobody got anything but the a lad fished a stoats tail on a treble size twelve and caught fish. Makes ya wonder!
I personally fish 1 fly. When the fish goes down to the bottom he may get the second caught in a snag.
That just me.

RICKY21

Reaction score
Anybody who fished the bubble and fly on the Moy, I have a question.
Do you find two flies work better than one or is there a specific reason to use two. Some people swear by a bright shrimp on the top dropper and a dull one on the bottom but I'm not sure, I seem everyone fishing the two shrimp flies the other day and nobody got anything but the a lad fished a stoats tail on a treble size twelve and caught fish. Makes ya wonder!
Try this link for set up :-

Woodsy

Reaction score
I once caught a fish on bubble and fly which ended up with a tangled set up and reset up but swapped the flies round and got another the next cast. Both fish went for the fly on the upper dropper, even when swapped. This showed me fish were more interested in the fly further from the bubble and not the fly pattern itself. That said, I haven't have much luck with it

Prezmek

Reaction score
Fish changing preference as the season goes on. Caught fish on both droppers all season long. You need good conditions for that method most of the time. Fishing fly too big is a big mistake I seen among anglers

RICKY21

Reaction score
Interesting numbers throughout the system :-

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Interesting numbers throughout the system :-

Were the 16 Grilse in Clongee caught by Thierry Rolla because according to reports on this thread the fishing was very slow.
As far as I can see its all that report is a marketing ploy to get anglers to travel to the Moy and spend money on day tickets and sundry expenses, I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
The Moy is overrated as a Salmon fishery it's all about the revenue that can be generated for the local businesses at the end of the year that matters.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Were the 16 Grilse in Clongee caught by Thierry Rolla because according to reports on this thread the fishing was very slow.
As far as I can see its all that report is a marketing ploy to get anglers to travel to the Moy and spend money on day tickets and sundry expenses, I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
The Moy is overrated as a Salmon fishery it's all about the revenue that can be generated for the local businesses at the end of the year that matters.
To be honest lads, I would think more than that was caught. Let's face it, any fellas worming on the Tuesday and Thursday cleaned up. I know a lot go unreported. I was chatting to a local who had 6 on Tuesday, I'm sure not a tag between them. Some locals fill the freezer on the first flood of the summer and won't report the catches

Handle bars

Reaction score
In my opinion.... IFI have killed foxford and any other town along the moy with the introduction off tagging a limit to fish per year and not being allowed to sell what you catch.
When the fishermen came before tagging and greed took over, they caught sold and spent the money back into foxford and every other town they stayed in.

tangles

Reaction score
In my opinion.... IFI have killed foxford and any other town along the moy with the introduction off tagging a limit to fish per year and not being allowed to sell what you catch.
When the fishermen came before tagging and greed took over, they caught sold and spent the money back into foxford and every other town they stayed in.
You need to be more subtle with your trolling ….

Handle bars

Reaction score
You need to be more subtle with your trolling ….
I'm not trolling. That is true.
You can't catch more than 10 in a season. You can't sell to shops.
The amount of fishermen coming to foxford is not what it was in the 1990's and early 2000.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Imagine how the towns would be if there was no salmon left? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

If the cap fits

Reaction score
Imagine how the towns would be if there was no salmon left? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Hardly come to that no one wants to see rivers raped but a bit more savvy wouldn’t go a miss, try and encourage more anglers relax some rules make fishing affordable for anglers, they won’t even consider yearly permits except for the chosen few

lax0341

Reaction score
Hardly come to that no one wants to see rivers raped but a bit more savvy wouldn’t go a miss, try and encourage more anglers relax some rules make fishing affordable for anglers, they won’t even consider yearly permits except for the chosen few
Run some hatcheries, clean the spawning streems, collect the rubbish. There‘s a lot of work to do…

Woodsy

Reaction score
The Moy has some of the most affordable salmon fishing in Europe. Yes there are public and private beats that cost more that 100e a day but there are several that do it for 20e, with some open water also (Deel, Pontoon, Lake River, Swinford, Black banks etc). Year permits are available on several fisheries as a stranger, Ballina Salmon Anglers, Knockmore and the Point to name a few.

The thing that reduced the tourism is the credit crunch, half the bars alone closed in Ballina....the town never fully recovered. Brexit hasn't helped more recently with the cost of a trip increasing by 20% overnight in June 2016 which will put off UK visitors also.

But to blame the tagging system is just ludicrous.

If the cap fits

Reaction score
The Moy has some of the most affordable salmon fishing in Europe. Yes there are public and private beats that cost more that 100e a day but there are several that do it for 20e, with some open water also (Deel, Pontoon, Lake River, Swinford, Black banks etc). Year permits are available on several fisheries as a stranger, Ballina Salmon Anglers, Knockmore and the Point to name a few.

The thing that reduced the tourism is the credit crunch, half the bars alone closed in Ballina....the town never fully recovered. Brexit hasn't helped more recently with the cost of a trip increasing by 20% overnight in June 2016 which will put off UK visitors also.

Does IFI run those fisheries ?? I’m talking about the ones IFI run re yearly permits, I didn’t claim tagging fish was the main cause I said IFI do nothing to encourage anglers back to the moy, the credit crunch hit everywere and regards brexit anyone that voted for it needs a good kick in the ass, so enlighten me what steps IFI have done to encourage anglers back to Mayo seeing your so knowledgeable on the matter

Woodsy

Reaction score
Does IFI run those fisheries ?? I’m talking about the ones IFI run re yearly permits, I didn’t claim tagging fish was the main cause I said IFI do nothing to encourage anglers back to the moy, the credit crunch hit everywere and regards brexit anyone that voted for it needs a good kick in the ass, so enlighten me what steps IFI have done to encourage anglers back to Mayo seeing your so knowledgeable on the matter
I'm trying to be diplomatic here, never once claimed how knowledgeable I was. This is a discussion board and I'm discussing.

But to answer your questions..

IFI do issue annual permits, including the Point Beat on the Moy. They give us all weekly updates on the Moy which encourages tourism, run children's days annually and started to to run ladies days to encourage more to fish to name a few. Many on this forum have created posts on just how much IFI try to push visitors to the Moy, questioning the figures etc.

I do however agree with you on brexit 😂

Loxie

Reaction score

There has also been a global pandemic too. The non essential travel ban has kept tourists away for a while!

Leannan

Reaction score
I caught my first Pink at East Mayo yesterday. Soon followed by six Atlantics four of which were fresh run. Loads of fish about and the small rise in water today should keep them moving.

Attachments

• 16BA6218-3E4B-44D4-ACED-5751B295558B.jpeg
    16BA6218-3E4B-44D4-ACED-5751B295558B.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 7161AEFC-0E74-42A5-A11D-64E3C05950BA.jpeg
    7161AEFC-0E74-42A5-A11D-64E3C05950BA.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 51
  • CEFFA799-3425-469E-BE5E-AF9AEE51F699.jpeg
    CEFFA799-3425-469E-BE5E-AF9AEE51F699.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 44
  • A0A9D4D1-48CF-4DDA-994A-6F9458CB3CF5.jpeg
    A0A9D4D1-48CF-4DDA-994A-6F9458CB3CF5.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
  • 243E43B0-E047-438F-8526-15389A716702.jpeg
    243E43B0-E047-438F-8526-15389A716702.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 53

Leannan

Reaction score
Not a thing of beauty but sounds like you had a great day. Nice to read something positive on this thread!
Fantastic day and unexpected in the low water. The Pink was picked up from Tiernan’s by the IFI shortly after dropping it off. They advised that they are hoping to get 12 Pinks to allow them to establish whether they were born in Irish rivers.

Lee95

Reaction score
Fantastic day and unexpected in the low water. The Pink was picked up from Tiernan’s by the IFI shortly after dropping it off. They advised that they are hoping to get 12 Pinks to allow them to establish whether they were born in Irish
Out of curiosity what did you catch the Atlantic salmon on, was it the same method as the Pacific?

Leannan

Reaction score
Pink flying C with silver blade. All seven were caught on the same spinner. On the fly today but nothing happening.