The River Mourne

svloopy

Reaction score
Rainbows still there

Disastrous start for the first day on the mourne with anglers still catching hundreds of the escaped rainbow trout from last year.
Had hoped the floods would have washed them out to sea.

Top it all off with video footage of a flock of maybe 50-100 cormorants can't get much worse.

Silver hunter

Reaction score
disgrace

fisheries board should have been netting when only kelts would have been in river now its too late as spring fish will be moving up river,but then again they probably dont know about the rainbows yet or hav,nt had time to organise a meeting to decide what to do.Best thing as usual DO NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inisisle

Reaction score
fisheries board should have been netting when only kelts would have been in river now its too late as spring fish will be moving up river,but then again they probably dont know about the rainbows yet or hav,nt had time to organise a meeting to decide what to do.Best thing as usual DO NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmm. Well hopefully something is being done about the 100,000 gallons of deadly poisonous slurry that has got into the system.

The damage has been described as "catastrophic".

Last edited:

getthenet

Reaction score
Hmmmm. Well hopefully something is being done about the 100,000 gallons of deadly poisonous silage that has got into the system.

The damage has been described as "catastrophic".

Yeah! just seen that... the river is getting a seriously sore touch! suppose another 10-bob fine and permission to go ahead again will be the outcome!

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Yeah! just seen that... the river is getting a seriously sore touch! suppose another 10-bob fine and permission to go ahead again will be the outcome!

It appears like The Ulster Farmer's Union are getting to dictate our environmental policy somewhat and Planners get to disregard any that's in place any way...question is how does that get to happen and why aren't our elected representatives aiding our courts by providing and enforcing proper policy and legislation that allows the courts to get tougher on Environmental Crime?

Last edited:

Inisisle

Reaction score
It appears like The Ulster Farmer's Union are getting to dictate our environmental policy somewhat and Planners get to disregard any that's in place any way...question is how does that get to happen and why aren't our elected representatives aiding our courts by providing and enforcing proper policy and legislation that allows the courts to get tougher on Environmental Crime?

You may well be on to something there, FP.
I have just heard a spokesman on local radio praising the Ulster Farmers'
Union for "informing" their members of the dangers to waterways and wildlife of silage and slurry.

"Informing"? Praising? And mile after mile of beautiful waterway has been wiped out.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Last edited:

Inisisle

Reaction score
it's not just here though, Inisilse. I've just seen this article shared elsewhere.

Revealed: majority of politicians on key EU farming panel have industry links | Environment | The Guardian

they're turning the country into an open air toilet for their industry but as long as the right colour of green keeps growing in the right places it's all ok, Jack:thumb:

it stinks to high heavens and it's not just the slurry

Yes, it stinks alright. It's depressing. I'm beginning to get overwhelmed by the enormity of it all.
I'm now hearing that sixteen MILES of waterway have been ruined.

Sixteen miles.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Yes, it stinks alright. It's depressing. I'm beginning to get overwhelmed by the enormity of it all.
I'm now hearing that sixteen MILES of waterway have been ruined.

Sixteen miles.

The Loughs Agency Staff that was interviewed on BBC Newsline stated it was the worst he's seen in a while...

they were working to re-oxygenate the water at the meetings of the Strule I think.

The Strule and tributaries have taken more than most on the system as regards slurry spills.. it's amazing that there's fish in it all but it shows given a chance it will regenerate...

simonjh98

Reaction score
The Loughs Agency Staff that was interviewed on BBC Newsline stated it was the worst he's seen in a while...

they were working to re-oxygenate the water at the meetings of the Strule I think.

The Strule and tributaries have taken more than most on the system as regards slurry spills.. it's amazing that there's fish in it all but it shows given a chance it will regenerate...
The past week I have been fishing the affected stretches of this kill almost exactly 2 years ago and I can happily say that the brown trout population is still booming here. A short 2 hour session from the Golf Course in Omagh to the back of Dunnes resulting in over 40 trout. Unfortunately I saw very little signs of salmon parr and nursery fish, Didn't see any smolts but they would have been away by this stage mostly. Also even had a roach!

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
The shrimps and other aquatic life should recolonise very quickly. It just needs clean water and gravel so likely started after the first flood.

Hard to judge juvenile populations without regular electrofishing.. maybe check the LA status reports. 2019 should be out soon.