The River Mourne

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Just a quick look at the quality of fish that can be caught

easky

Reaction score
The Mourne system has had a good year and gets a good steady run of fish from April right through to October. Its quite an under rated river that is not widely know outside of Ireland, here's some pictures of what you can expect ;)

A good day in late September

13lber going back

full house all round

Last edited:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Day Tickets

I hear there is a storm brewing at Sion Mills due to the allocation of day tickets.

I think the main sticking points are the times of issue i.e. you have to wait to the shop opens, you cant pre book your tickets and you cant be on the water before 9am.

and the number of tickets available for the Gravenue.

Has anyone on here got any opinions on it.

Personally i dont have a problem with it ive always got on the Gravenue when i wanted too!! I just got there ealier than anyone else. Never had to que any longer than say 10 mins when the shop opened and always found the allocation of tickets fair and equal.

easky

Reaction score
I heard the same myself :cool:

I thought the reduction in the Gravenue tickets would cause problems but seemed to be ok from what I saw.

I used to get the early tickets and have to say that it was the prime time, from first light to about 9.00 (esp in low water, summer time). I did catch fish later on but you def got the feeling that the best time was past. In higher water it doesn't matter as much as the fish will be running.

I can see both sides of the picture, the club want some fishing to themselves but its the day ticket £'s that keep their subs what they are ;).

At the end of the day its DCAL water so its a fine line the club need to tread ;)

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Easky

I agree with all you say about the prime time etc but in low water this doesnt really affect me i simply dont make the trip as its a waste of time to be on the river at that time and im lucky enough to have access to other water at this prime time too! And surely being a club member must hold some advanatges!!!

The early ticket scheme was good and had its advantages but i think the new system of first come first serve is also fair in that it stops people block booking the fishing.

If your missing your early morning fishing in the summer let me know i'll put you on to some this year;)

yes its DCAL water so the club has to watch its step the water could be in fact sold from under them just like Cloghan!!!

But

I also think we should be grateful that such a prolific stretch is even available and a compromise must be found to keep everyone happy.

easky

Reaction score
I agree FP, to have access to this quality of river (in fish terms) is a privilege and I am sure some sort of compromise can be reached.

thanks for the offer of other early fishing, I may well take you up on that if things become dire elsewhere :D

talking of your home river I seem to remember when I was a member that there was some concern among members about their control of the water. If I remember it was on a lease from DECAL as well?

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
As far as im aware we lease it from the Loughs Agency and or HIS im not sure but the club doesnt own the water.

hasnt been a problem of late as the fishing hasnt really been that great to bring attention to us and the finn and the Mourne always took the plaudits we are a bit of an unknown secret.

WIth Runs improving this last few years it could be a problem in the making too but id like to think we have enough club members to bunch together and make sure we always have a club water for local anglers.

Last edited:

easky

Reaction score
I agree it has been under estimated which is not neccessarily a bad thing :D (I think the same could be said of the overall system for that matter)

One of the more specific concerns 'back then' was that the lease was only renewed on a fairly short basis. Then there was all that work done on the tidal stretch and members were worried that the Fisheries plan was to privatise it and make it exclusive (similar to what has happened to Cloughan)

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Easky they can keep the tidal mate do what they want with it!!!

LOL LOL

they messed it up with all the work and took out some of the best streams in it

fish dont lie in numbers in the todal any more they go straight through to the fresh water

Tailfire

Reaction score
FP
Easky and I have had no real diffs getting on the Gravenue when we wanted to. It would definitely be nicer to fish rather than wait outside the shop for two hours. I agree with Easky that a compromise should be possible. Count me in for those alternative "hot spots"

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
TF

No probs!!!:D

I missed getting on the Gravenue once this year and that was only because i didnt have a DCAL ticket so i bought one and every time after that i got on it when i wanted too as i said just get there early !!!

if your travelling Look at the forecast and pick your days dont travel if its gonna be a scorcher and if its rained called the office for info!!!!

and always have a back up plan!!!

There arent a shortage of rivers!!!:D

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Any advice on this river?? apart from the gravenue where's the place to be??

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
The streams below the Gravenue are good as is the top of the lade above it.

Paddys Stream is good but dangerous wading

The wood Hole holds fish too

other than that i dont know much more.

I will add i took as many fish from the Faughan as my mate did from Sion in 2007 and he fished more than me so dont get roped into its a better river etc!!!

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Cheers FP, only it opens earlier and the Faughan does'nt really pick up until July i would'nt be going near it. It'll do rightly until the sacred Faughan waters get going.
Headin to owenmore in a few weeks for a days fishing. Looks a nice river, hopefully first fish of the year.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
i must say im not knocking the Mourne and it gets far mor fish than anywher else i was just saying dont draw on the fact theres more fish youre bound to catch!!

but its definately worth a throw in May for the Springers and in June for the Early summer salmon but i'll be waiting to i get the call from home to get there before i make any serious plans for April.

Beautiful thing is you dont need any great rain fall for Sion to fish.

High tides is all you need they can work their way up to the Gravenue in low water.

let us know how you go on the owenmore

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I see the DCAL have come up with the idea of buying tickets on line through the Sion Club!!!

This should be fun!!!!! :eek::eek:

is this not just a more up to date method of the old HedgeHog!!!

Might just give it a wider birth during the summer months :rolleyes:

easky

Reaction score
yes I noticed that, will be interesting to see how they implement it ie. can you pre-buy your ticket but only use it after 9.00 for example or can you us it from first light?

... and how will they be able to prove you have the proper licensces online? I doubt they would have a backend database system in place that would be sophisticated enough to be able to verify a person's details online and in real time ;). I could be wrong but I doubt it :rolleyes:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
still think your right thats its a big operation to get working and get live even for next year!!!

Sounds like the DCAL buying time to find a solution with Sion and keep the day ticket men from complaining about it in the mean time.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score

I see the Mourne is off to a quick start..as usual..

although i got a text this morning saying it was getting big and dirty

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I'll stick up for the guy who confused the rainbow..well at first glance anyway!!

Saw one taken at the gates on the Faughan last June...was clattered in lice and had obviously gone to sea..was solid as a block and fought like a demon...

at first glance on the ground we all thought it was grilse..only after i had a proper look at the head and tail did the full story emerge but that took 30 secs top

definately didnt report it as a salmon tho :rolleyes:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
it was the same about this tim elast year too when i went for a look round the water was very very low almost too low.

but it could be good for Sion

the push of water brings the fish up from Strabane and the the tide they then move into the Gravenue through the Long Steams and Purgatory but once in the Gravenue they go nowhere due to the low water....

Keeps the fish in one place and the Gravenue fishes better in low water conditions. Early Mornings ;) but then you hit the dayticket wall!!!