The River Finn

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
the problem with the finn , is its not club water & the info does not get around the same as regards catches, there's fish caught that are not reported theres more fish caught than people thnk and it is this that has led partly to the finn being classed as finished

I dont think its due to the fact that its not club water that catches arent reported!!!!!!

As for the finn being finnished i havent fished it in years but i know people who have and they say the run of fish just isnt there anymore..i think this is what has led to people saying the river is finnished not unreported catches.

Last edited:

TheDerg

Reaction score
Anybody know the number for the water height, the old Cappry house one doesnt work anymore!!

Hard to get the info when 90 miles away!!

roeangler

Reaction score
Finn Numbers

Before you plan anything checkout what the loughs agency have put up regarding the counters so far since jan 1st there has been 60 fish over the counter you have been a very lucky man to have caught one

Patrick

Reaction score
Hi, did anyone wet a line over the weekend? Any luck? :)

Tried the Finn on Saturday morning but not much doing. Water wasnt at a bad height but heard no reports of any fish getting caught or seen. I had one little salmon par for my efforts.

There were a lot of cars out, also at Paddys Stream on the Mourne on the way up. The fishing is poor enough this season. Theres not too much happening on the Finn yet..

easky

Reaction score
I heard the Finn has been quite quiet after the initial week or so, same thing on the Mourne as well I think ;). I know there has been a fish caught at Paddies but its still early for people to be fishing up there ;)

beanieboy

Reaction score
Takes big water to get the springers going - water has been poor on the Finn this past couple of weeks. I had a sea liced 16lb'er from the Finn in early March on a yellow dog fished deep.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Never really fished much for springers in the past but been lucky with them my only 2 outings resulting in 2 fish

but i was once told that the Finn and Mourne always go off to a sprint start then thing lulled towards the middle/end of April and then gather pace again going into May with Middle of the month usually giving best sport before fining off in June for the grilse run

But if its a dry spring forget it you need good water for the fish to move a few inches arent enough.

Otherwise they will ride the tides around Strabane and Lifford and once they get the big water bang they are gone!!!

so the weather this last wee while hasnt been great has it!!!

rain forecast at the end of the week lets see what it brings!!!

Patrick

Reaction score
We must be due a bit of rain soon, its not like the North West to have no rain!! :)

Yeah the springers are touch going alright, any bit of water and they run for the hills..

Patrick

Reaction score
Thats a cracker fish Beanieboy must have given you a good fight!!

I have never caught one last size but have lost a few bigguns..heres hoping :)

beanieboy

Reaction score
You will have to ask Mr Hunter - mind you he would probably consider it a kipper.

Patrick

Reaction score
Poachers on the Lower Finn again.. Dannys posts crack me up check Foylefishing today for a laugh :)

Patrick

Reaction score
I dont know about this weekend. I was out but the water was very low and it was too bright. I got a fish last weekend, around the 7lb mark. Heard there were fish caught in Cloghan during the week.

I seen Mick Hucknall and the Glenmore Rivers guys at Killygordon over the weekend. Dont think there was much doing..

Patrick

Reaction score
Hopes this works! If so cheers Sloggi! Pic of a fish I got last Saturday on the Finn. Conditions where useless for the fly so I turned over to the dark side and tried the Flying-C. It was well hooked so decided to keep this, the first one of the year. Great fight and it weighed in at a 7lb. I will try harder to release the next one, barbless hooks I think :)

Last edited:

Patrick

Reaction score
No Killygordon. Yeah the water was low, so he must have came up on the tides.

Patrick

Reaction score
Cheers Easky, thats the pressure off, I can relax now....well until my da catches one now and our unofficial competition starts again :)

I was worried last season, it was the 29th June before I got my first..

Patrick

Reaction score
On the Finn yesterday. Water is as low as I have ever seen it. Really bright and not a fish seen. If you're coming from afar to fish here, I would wait for rain.

dwain

Reaction score
finn

i have joined the glebe anglers this year and so far it has been a terrible year .i have been down 5 times so far and havent seen a fish . i travel well over 100 miles to get there and back. does anyone see it getting a good run of fish this year.could any one tell me if there is any grilse in the lower sections of the river thanks:(