The River Finn

keirstream

Reaction score
Does no one fish the Finn any more?
Or is it just that bad nowadays?
I was considering a nostalgic visit this season. The last time I fished Cloghan was in 1999, the year the Euro fecked Ireland. Is it worth the bother? Jeez, I miss pre Euro Ireland.:(

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Does no one fish the Finn any more?
Or is it just that bad nowadays?
I was considering a nostalgic visit this season. The last time I fished Cloghan was in 1999, the year the Euro fecked Ireland. Is it worth the bother? Jeez, I miss pre Euro Ireland.:(

People fish it and the main medium for regular reports now is Facebook.. plan your trip around rain in the nect 6 to 8 weeks and you should get some action..

keirstream

Reaction score
Aye it can get cramped to Late June, should be able to spread out now though.

Not been up this year yet, must plan a trip soon.

When we fished there was no pressure until David Wilde opened up the sanctuary, then it got busy.:(
Then the whole river became busy along with the Reelin.
But it was a magical place, the nights in the bar at Cloghan singing local folk songs, even down to Ann Harkins giving you a luck penny when you left the boozer.:)
You could'nt replicate those days.
We also fished down at Killygorton with James McNulty and on the Mourne below the Sna with Frank, Davie and Pat Elliot. Happy days indeed.:):)

paddymc

Reaction score
When we fished there was no pressure until David Wilde opened up the sanctuary, then it got busy.:(
But it was a magical place, the nights in the bar at Cloghan singing local folk songs, even down to Ann Harkins giving you a luck penny when you left the boozer.:)
We also fished down at Killygorton with James McNulty and on the Mourne below the Sna with Frank, Davie and Pat Elliot. Happy days indeed.:):)

James is still doing a bit at Killygordon, hope to meet him shortly on the Mourne, if we get water.

Passed Frank on the road tonight, he was setting up the 15ft rod and 75ft speyline! Hope I am like that when I am in my early eighties.....if I even see it...

keirstream

Reaction score
James is still doing a bit at Killygordon, hope to meet him shortly on the Mourne, if we get water.

Passed Frank on the road tonight, he was setting up the 15ft rod and 75ft speyline! Hope I am like that when I am in my early eighties.....if I even see it...

Frank remains the finest spey caster I have ever had the privilege to fish with. Nothing long but always perfect.
Need to get back across before I can't.:)

FaughanPurple

Reaction score

Its not quite as busy as then and the sanctuary is now also closed. Wilde doesn't seem to be as involved anymore but the pools below the beat can still get busy to the fish shoot the leap...

I doubt you'll recreate those days too, Will we ever with any regularity but with water to get on the Realan and the right company in Harkin's I'm sure you'll have a blast anyway and you still might just get your line tightened more than once or twice.

It's still very much worth the trip, when it rains.

Last edited:

simonjh98

Reaction score
1 Week and 6 days and we return to the banks of the Finn for another season. Hallelujah!

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Spent many a day with James mcnulty,a great friend of mine, it was James who got me into killygordon gun club when I moved to killygordon , real nice chap,great stretch of water there, happy memories for sure.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Jeez lads that was some hard reading :LOL: I've read through this thread and it took nearly a month as I kept giving up with all the bickering.

Having only fished the river once and hope to do so more next year, I was hoping to get a few nuggets of information but they were hard to find through all the posts lol.

Hoping to tie quite a few singles over the winter. What would be your top few patterns for the Finn? I see a few people fish with coloured bead heads on Facebook, have any of you had much success with them?

simonjh98

Reaction score
Woodsy I fish the lower river which is always referred as the 'Canal' part of the river hence why people barely fish it apart from the hardcore old timers from the 80's and 90's ,but it has some of the best residential lays for fish on the entire river. Lots of features and structure for the fish as it is stagnant and majority holding pools, but they are very difficult to learn and find them as every pool just looks the same to the eye.
I fish the bubble and fly on these throws and have success with my Camowen Shrimp, Bann Specials, Calvins, Wye Bugs and cascades. Wilkinson's on too when the tide Is coming in for fresh fish. Anything really that stands out in the peat stained water. The finn fish don't seem to be fussy and they will come a fair distance for your fly.

Last edited:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Jeez lads that was some hard reading :LOL: I've read through this thread and it took nearly a month as I kept giving up with all the bickering.

Having only fished the river once and hope to do so more next year, I was hoping to get a few nuggets of information but they were hard to find through all the posts lol.

Hoping to tie quite a few singles over the winter. What would be your top few patterns for the Finn? I see a few people fish with coloured bead heads on Facebook, have any of you had much success with them?

Anything Yellow Sunburst or Orange over a gold copper or bronze body and a bit of red and Claret for late July on will do.

On the upper river I find long tailed flies tyed with runner fox and a bit of bucktail to work very well. Probably better than the Irish shrimps unless fishing one of the longer slower pools but the water is typically faster in the blue stacks than on the valley floor.

I find Coneheads and Beads to work well on the upper Finn too. Better than my other haunts tbh. But then it is a bit faster, wider and deeper and I'm usually fishing the Finn a bit earlier in the year as well and it can still be very cool in Donegal in Mid to Late June.

If youre seeing flies posted then look up Cloghan and Glenmore both have a Bakebook page..

Last edited:

Woodsy

Reaction score
Cheers lads, getting a shopping list ready for materials ahead of ringing Pat Nolan for the winter ahead (y)

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Fairly small as well. I only fish the summer months and size 8 and 10 trout hooks cover most occasions on the Finn now. Cascades and allies shrimp were my go to flies. It was the Finn that showed me how good a small orange GP could be compared to a the stoats tail and teal blue and silver I had previously grown up with. Hardly ever use (never really) a stoats tail now in all my fishing.

Woodsy

Reaction score
I see Cloghan have announced that a lot of the fishery will be fly only. I wouldn't have a problem with this myself, but would like the option for junior anglers. My son is begging me to take him back next year and at 8 years old it will be a big ask for him to cast a fly on the river

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
I'm going to head over in June next year, God and Covid willing.:)
Previously and not exactly yesterday I might add, I would stay either in the Swallows Rest with Nell in Killygorton or in Cloghan Lodge
itself with David and Anne. Usually 3 visits a year. Happy days indeed, and a few days with James McNulty thrown in as well.
Where would be best to stay nowadays, near enough to Cloghan not to fall foul of the Garda?
If a springer or 2 finds my fly I might be tempted to mount a comeback later in the season too.(y)
If Easky is still fishing the river then it would be good to meet up?