The River Finn

dwain

Reaction score
Good luck to anyone heading out tomorrow, let's hope the finn can have a decent run of springers. Awesome prizes up for grabs by the Glenmore team. Tight lines

LeAngler

Reaction score
Lisburn/Hearts on the banks of the River Mourne
Opening day river Finn 01/03/16

Glenmore, River Finn, Donegal, Salmon and Trout Fishing

Well we had a great days craic yesterday at the Glenmore opening ceremony. The Finn was in high flood so the fishing was a non starter. Everyone enjoyed their first try of Sliabh Liag's Silkie whiskey with a toast offered up to the river in hope for a great coming season.
After that it was a few pints in Harkins by the fire, with everyone looking forward to more favourable conditions and getting on the river bank!

12801413_10156585064605273_6917795224112862350_n.jpg12802838_10156585064745273_3429227677752781656_n.jpg12801604_10156585064910273_1053173144048433412_n.jpg

Last edited:

silver seeker

Reaction score
Over a foot on it and a small rise as we speak,showers forecast for tonight and tomorrow so it should be in good order for tomorrow.
Tight lines SS

dwain

Reaction score
Is it just me or has the winter floods made the grilse stream deeper to wade. Fished it on Sunday think the marker on the bridge was reading 2 ft, just seemed harder to wade?

Captain Hook

Reaction score
Awful quiet around these parts of late. All on the river 24/7 no doubt?!

For those unaware of it, there was a scud of fish went through last Wednesday. Lost 2 that day.
I saw a couple on Friday moving on. Managed a cracker at 1inch under 1ft. Never had a scrap like it,that didn't end in disaster and colourful language. No camera or phone to hand either:mad: Easily 14lb,possibly 15.

Saw 2-3 fish going through it this morning at 1ft8". Now's the time for any of ye that fish the upper end.....which I don't as it happens but that's where they're headed it seems.

silver seeker

Reaction score
Fished it on Friday it was sitting just under a foot but it was quiet enough,I did see a few fish in Glenmore bridge pool but nothing else until half way down martins corner pool then all hell broke loose when I hooked a cracking fish well into the teens,after two long runs well into the backing I thought I had fish under some sort of control,but as soon as I took the net off my back out came the fly.Thats two hooked and lost but it could be third time lucky next time.
SS

dwain

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed on the finn that the fish are not that bothered with the spinner,they seem to be smashing the fly this season. Been putting a few hours in on the river this week. I like to split the day into fly fishing until lunch time and then give the spinner a chuck in the afternoon if there's water, any takes I've had on the fly have been aggressive. But when the black flying c goes on the just seem to follow it and turn away. Rather odd to me as it's usually the other way round the spinner would always lift a few fish. Has this anything to do with what they have been feeding at sea on. Like if they had been eating small herring u would think they would be dialed onto the Mepp,or maybe this years run mostly fed on shrimp and that's why the fly is doing well.woud be interested to here how others are getting on.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Late May - Mid July

Where did that season go!? Unfortunately, I didn't get up more than a handful of times to Glenmore this season. Sport was patchy enough with small pods of fish pushing through but if you hit it right, you could have a good few hours.

The first visit of the year was on the first flood after a long dry spell. A high, warm, stale and dirty water greeted us. Not the best of starts.

After that flush out, the fish became a little more cooperative but still weren't taking right. Hard running fresh Grilse can be great sport and frustrating in equal measures. For every one landed there's at least a couple that get off and that's not counting the numerous pulls, boils etc... It really is a magical place when it all clicks!

Some not quite the 'Bar of Silver' but all most welcome!!!

It's a stunning Valley and looking forward to 2017 already...
Until next year :)

Last edited:

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Fished it for the first time at the weekend for nearly 5 years. The pools change a lot from year to year, especially down near the Glenmore pool. Only the one wee coloured cock got for fishing 2 rods for 2 days. Just under 2 foot on Saturday when we started. Only saw 1 other fisher and three guys getting casting practice at the bridge. Not a huge number of fish showing and what did was coloured. Hopefully enough to repopulate the river. Surprised at how quiet it was.