The River Finn

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
News and reports for 2008

Well to start off i've just heard that from 29th Feb 2008 Fishing has been banned from the ivy Bridge at Cloghan upstream to the leap.

That means that the Sanctuary area has indeed become just that!!!!

As far as ive been told its as far as the leap but will keep you posted if i hear any more

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Just out of interest, why is it good news, was it getting hammered?

Thanks

Yes!!

it was the only natural barrier for the fish to negotiate and the expression shooting fish in a barrel would be no exaggeration.

it was a step waterfall into a gorge about 100 yrds long and it was just wall to wall fish.

For years and years it was a slaughtering match by means fair or not.

Alot of damage was done by this fishery.

Im not saying its totally to blame for the decline in stocks but making it a protected area is certainly going to help

Greenalert

Reaction score
Yes!!

it was the only natural barrier for the fish to negotiate and the expression shooting fish in a barrel would be no exaggeration.

it was a step waterfall into a gorge about 100 yrds long and it was just wall to wall fish.

For years and years it was a slaughtering match by means fair or not.

Alot of damage was done by this fishery.

Im not saying its totally to blame for the decline in stocks but making it a protected area is certainly going to help

Good news indeed then

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Hmmm

Just got a call syaing the Finn could in deed be closed next year and that more than one section already has been!!!

Away for more info back when i get some!!!

easky

Reaction score
yes heard the same, the lower tidal section has been closed - this season I think will determin whether the whole thing will be closed next year ;)

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Well Opening day is nearly upon us

with Fresh water all weekend in the River and even today too and High tides as well

today's was 2.7

although they are fading away towards the end of the week they should have brought in any Springers hanging about!!!

Was wondering if anyone is heading out on Saturday and if so where too?

I hope this once mighty river has a great season otherwise its in trouble big time!!!!

Fingers crossed for a good 2008

Tightlines to all heading out and please share the reports if you have any

easky

Reaction score
I think it could be good this weekend, with water in the system and more forecast this week it could be worth a throw Sat/Sun.

Unfortunately I am confined to barracks for a while but tight lines to anybody who ventures out ;)

... thought you were tied up this weekend too FP :rolleyes:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I am :eek: :eek: :eek:

And will be to the end of March

so looking like easter before i will be free

but thats good cause the season will be well under way and the tale of the tape will be shown..

better idea of where to go ;) ;) ;)

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
It might have changed now with the fresh water but its as good as any i suppose!!!!!

I hear there is the odd fish about round the tidal stretches at the minute though!!!

Tightlines

and look forward to some pics of the first fish...well the river atleast eh?

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Looks like it did fish and the first fish was caught too all be it a very a coloured up hen

along with others

did anyone venture out?

easky

Reaction score
I had to make do with a couple of hours trout fishing unfortunately but I hear at least 3 fish were caught fairly high up the river (Glenmore) - well done to those who ventured out ;). It was in a big flood on Friday but just proves how fast it runs off and becomes fishable ;)

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Seen it on foyle site, they think it might have been in 2 or 3 weeks.

Takin a run up on Tuesday, missus permiting.;)

beanieboy

Reaction score
I heard there was up to 8 fish caught yesterday [Glenmore, Liscooley etc] I fished the upper part of the Killygordon stretch - nothing doing, but good water and bearable winds.