The River Faughan

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
a fish of 17£ was caught in the well hole on sunday
20210509_165316.jpg

SOAPYWORMS

Reaction score
I fully agree with Salmon conservation, but 3 tags is ridiculously low given the numbers of fish entering the river at the moment. Too many fish and the Salmon only dredge out the reds of their spawning mates anyways. I was told this by a member of LA staff a few years ago! Maybe the Loughs Agency should wrap a few thousand tags around the throats of the glutinous Cormorants gorging up and down the whole Foyle catchment and stop punishing the poor ole rod men who can't swim underwater for 2 minutes chasing everything that moves.

Last edited:

SOAPYWORMS

Reaction score
I fully agree with Salmon conservation, but 3 tags is ridiculously low given the numbers of fish entering the river at the moment. Too many fish and the Salmon only dredge out the reds of their spawning mates anyways due to competition for space in spawning grounds. I was told this by a member of LA staff a few years ago! Maybe the Loughs Agency should wrap a few thousand tags around the throats of the gluttonous Cormorants gorging up and down the whole Foyle catchment and stop punishing the poor ole rod men who can't swim underwater for 2 minutes chasing everything that moves.
Wee edit.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
The storm drain formerly known as the river Faughan.

I'm surprised there's any fish in it at all to be honest.

Water drains into it so quick, floods don't last, pools have no depth. And, if there should be such a thing as a bush providing a bit of cover for holding fish, it's cut down so 'anglers' can get wafting stupidly long fly rods in 6 inches of water.

Tags? They're only restrictive to those that use them.

The river's in a sorry state! Not that the vast majority give a damn as long as they're getting an odd auld fish.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I posted this on another thread yesterday when discussing man's fascination with 'improving' things for nature.

One of the first places I thought of on the Faughan was Ballyarton Weir.

There really were some half assed attempts to 'improve' the weir over the years. I remember one attempt making the news as the fish couldn't get over it at all.

I wrote the following in 2018 as it was coming up to a year since the weir was washed away. Just some thoughts and memories that some might like to read as we wait for water and a few fish to arrive.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I posted this on another thread yesterday when discussing man's fascination with 'improving' things for nature.

One of the first places I thought of on the Faughan was Ballyarton Weir.

There really were some half assed attempts to 'improve' the weir over the years. I remember one attempt making the news as the fish couldn't get over it at all.

I wrote the following in 2018 as it was coming up to a year since the weir was washed away. Just some thoughts and memories that some might like to read as we wait for water and a few fish to arrive.

Thats a great read and I can genuinely understand the mixed feelings. In this day and age particularly, with salmon numbers ever falling, I guess it can only be a good thing for while we are fleeting things, the cycles of nature are long lasting and need to be protected for that long term, as opposed to our short term view of falsely 'knowing better' or worse not caring so long as there's a perceived benefit for ourselves.

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thats a great read and I can genuinely understand the mixed feelings. In this day and age particularly, with salmon numbers ever falling, I guess it can only be a good thing for while we are fleeting things the cycles of nature are long lasting and need to protected for that long term as opposed to our short term view of falsely 'knowing better' or worse not caring so long as there's a perceived benefit for ourselves.

The road to hell being paved with good intentions rings very true with river alterations and improvements, unfortunately.

Glad you enjoyed the read Iain. 🙂

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Never ever seemed to wet a line on the faughan, but I’ve done the bush,roe,agivey,mourne,Finn,carnroe, and great fishing it was too,if I remember back to 2002 it was a belter of a year. Nearly everyone seemed to be getting rid of there blue tags,it’s easy to see why so many of the lads head over across the water every year. I for one will be heading across early August with the 4 sons to fish all my old haunts,if everything covid related allows,I used to sit with Bert Atkins who had a well known tackle shop in the wee village of Garvagh and he was showing me a fly he invented called the Apache,I learned more over in Ireland the way to fish for salmon than I new before,and how a lot of the boys tied on a dropper, Light coloured fly on the dropper, yellow and brown,and a dark tail fly,say a red and black flea on the tail,I really started to take a lot more fish after that,thanks to there teaching,great bunch of lads north and south for sure.👍

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Never ever seemed to wet a line on the faughan, but I’ve done the bush,roe,agivey,mourne,Finn,carnroe, and great fishing it was too,if I remember back to 2002 it was a belter of a year. Nearly everyone seemed to be getting rid of there blue tags,it’s easy to see why so many of the lads head over across the water every year. I for one will be heading across early August with the 4 sons to fish all my old haunts,if everything covid related allows,I used to sit with Bert Atkins who had a well known tackle shop in the wee village of Garvagh and he was showing me a fly he invented called the Apache,I learned more over in Ireland the way to fish for salmon than I new before,and how a lot of the boys tied on a dropper, Light coloured fly on the dropper, yellow and brown,and a dark tail fly,say a red and black flea on the tail,I really started to take a lot more fish after that,thanks to there teaching,great bunch of lads north and south for sure.👍

The Faughan never really got credit it deserved as a salmon river. The Roe would have been seen by many as a great salmon River and many wouldn't even have glimpsed over the bridge at the Faughan while driving to the Finn and Mourne. I really don't think the Faughan Anglers minded that either though. 😉

Perhaps it was the Faughan's reputation as a sea trout river that made it seem 'inferior' to many. At one time, the Faughan was regarded as the best sea trout river in Northern Ireland. There were thousands upon thousands of them.

I have an old photograph somewhere in the house that an old man gave me once of his catch of sea trout in a single morning. There were almost 40 big slabs of sea trout in the photo. That was for a single morning before he went to work. That was the 70s/80s if I remember right. Sadly those days are long gone too.

Cmm

Reaction score
I have a copy of Olly McGilloways book Along the Faughan side.Can anyone give me advice on what it's worth.
Cheerd

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I'm with Jimmy there JS, cracking read that, i almost felt your emotions myself reading it. It's horrible when somewhere you love and have life long memories from goes downhill. Got a few places like that myself....

Thanks SA! 👍

I'm delighted that it's being well received by those who don't the Weir, or the river, as well as those local to the area.

Glad you enjoyed it! 🙂

Woodsy

Reaction score
Still no sign of day tickets I see. Anyone have any idea if this will be lifted at all this season?

nitro2012

Reaction score
Still no sign of day tickets I see. Anyone have any idea if this will be lifted at all this season?
If The Club Start Selling Day Tickets Again Don't Be Without A Few Of The Now Famous Pink Panties In Your Fly Box They Have Become Legendary On The Faughan 😃

Woodsy

Reaction score
If The Club Start Selling Day Tickets Again Don't Be Without A Few Of The Now Famous Pink Panties In Your Fly Box They Have Become Legendary On The Faughan 😃
Is that a typo? I guess nobody sees what you are wearing under the waders, each to their own lol 😂

White Trout

Reaction score
Has anyone any advice on the worth of olly mcgilloway Along the faughan side?
Sorry been a while since I was on here.
£100 would get you a copy now if you can source one. I sold a rebound copy with marble boards recently for £120.
There were 1000 copies apparently due to be printed at the time. I believe the printing costs were not realised, therefore a lot less were printed. Around 500 I reckon, so very scarce also.

Cmm

Reaction score
Sorry been a while since I was on here.
£100 would get you a copy now if you can source one. I sold a rebound copy with marble boards recently for £120.
There were 1000 copies apparently due to be printed at the time. I believe the printing costs were not realised, therefore a lot less were printed. Around 500 I reckon, so very scarce also.
Cheers for that.Its just that I have two copies and was looking to see what price I could get for them.