The River Faughan

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
So, you're 74 years of age now, you're auto-immune and are taking immuno-suppressant drugs and you're classed as "vulnerable".You've been very compliant and have been self-isolating for five solid months except for trips to the doctor and to the hospital.

Well cabin fever finally got to me on Friday 31st July. I thought that surely I could find a quiet pool somewhere and sit with the worm for a couple of hours.
I liked the fine tip of the Shakespeare Ugly Stik Lite so I got one of those. A Shimano baitrunner appealed to me and I duly purchased one. Some backing. And I loaded up with 135 metres of green, fine-diameter Power Braid for stealth. My, that stuff is thinner than thread. Some swivels, just large enough that they don't slip through the top eye of the rod.

Then I attached the braid to the swivel using the excellent Palomer knot. Then some no-nonsense Fulling Mill fluorocarbon line. Finally I put on a plain brown Kamasan bait hook and two worms.

I had driven into Lynch's and walked immediately left. I couldn't see past the first pool and so I threw out. there was a good flow in the water and the line quickly moved round. To be honest, I was so thrilled to be out I didn't care if I never caught.

But I put on one piece of split shot to slow the line and I cast into the middle of the pool. a couple of little taps and I struck. Yes, I was in. second cast.
I needn't have bothered with the strike, as the plump little grilse had swallowed the bait. So I had to dispatch it.

And I was in a quandary; conditions looked perfect but I had only one tag left. So I went home, pleased, to fight another day.

So back I went on Saturday night, !st August. i thought I was almost nimble getting over and down the bank. The first two casts, nothing. On the third and fourth cast I got a couple of taps bit I struck into emptiness.
I decided to move five yards upstream and "walk" the worm into the centre of the pool. A couple of taps and I struck into one again. Another fat little grilse but to my horror it too had devoured the bait.

And all my tags are gone. Seven casts and hardly half an hour's fishing. I was so looking forward to trying the early morning worm again, but now I can't. In case a salmon would swallow the hook again.
Two tags seems so miserly, but of course i wouldn't risk prosecution.

"Do you, Mr Inisisle, have anything to say before sentence of this court is passed upon you......"

But it's back to solitary confinement, all the same.

Absolutely delighted to hear you not only got out after a very long lockdown but got 2 fish as well and yes it's a terrible your season is now effectively over.

This is exactly why the tag system should be reviewed and changed from the idiotic proposal of 3 tags. The impact is being felt disproportionately by the young old and those too infirm to tramp up and down banks waving rods around thinking they're cool.

To think some cheered and were happily calling for the reduction and even no tags to be issued, even on this very thread. All that's been acheived is For people like Inis to have to sit in doors now to 20Th May again.

but that's a sour note that shouldn't taint your days out. Absolute top class and shows there's no substitute for experience ???

getthenet

Reaction score
Absolutely delighted to hear you not only got out after a very long lockdown but got 2 fish as well and yes it's a terrible your season is now effectively over.

This is exactly why the tag system should be reviewed and changed from the idiotic proposal of 3 tags. The impact is being felt disproportionately by the young old and those too infirm to tramp up and down banks waving rods around thinking they're cool.

To think some cheered and were happily calling for the reduction and even no tags to be issued, even on this very thread. All that's been acheived is For people like Inis to have to sit in doors now to 20Th May again.

but that's a sour note that shouldn't taint your days out. Absolute top class and shows there's no substitute for experience ???
[/QUOTE

Couldn’t agree more.... if we want to go down the no tag rule... I would fully push for a no picture rule... some of the playing fish to exhaustion and then the looking for a wall mounted or front page photo... ?
Few tags... in a healthy river that supports all types of angling for young and old is something we should not let slip away.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score

It's certainly not but unfortunately some think they know better or are more than happy to see clubs be put under unnecessary pressure and possibly fold due to the restrictions on methods.

It's these people that need to take a long hard look at themselves and ask has this been done before, what was the outcome and was it positive or negative for the sport?

Agree on the playing to death thing... more than a few get played by the fish not the other way round We all like a pic but if you're putting it back then 1 in the net or a quick one just before release at the water edge is enough..

Attachments

• 20200805_190146.jpg
    20200805_190146.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 82

coffin dodger

Reaction score

maybe they could make a concession for under 18 and over 65 maybe issue them with 5 tags

Jockiescott

Reaction score
maybe they could make a concession for under 18 and over 65 maybe issue them with 5 tags

I have always felt that it should be possible for anyone to request the amount of tags they wanted when purchasing their license. Even if it was up to 20. A couple of tags would do me, just in case I needed them. Others may not want tags at all and that's upto them. Some may want 5, some may want 10, some may want 20, but charge £1 or £2 a tag over a certain amount.

Of course the knuckle draggers would still break the rules but it could help more of the decent, honest anglers enjoy their sport within the rules.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score

I have always felt that it should be possible for anyone to request the amount of tags they wanted when purchasing their license. Even if it was up to 20. A couple of tags would do me, just in case I needed them. Others may not want tags at all and that's upto them. Some may want 5, some may want 10, some may want 20, but charge £1 or £2 a tag over a certain amount.

Of course the knuckle draggers would still break the rules but it could help more of the decent, honest anglers enjoy their sport within the rules.

I like Jockies idea which is basically what we have in place or had to this year. You got hit a 1.50 charge for issuing of the 3 tags online.

An upper limit for everyone and you either take tags or you don't. It allows everyone to enjoy their angling peacefully.

By their own stats over 40% don't take tags and most anglers seem to practice c&r voluntarily and regularly it's a bit of a puzzle why theyre attacking anglers with tag reductions??

On average I'd use less than 5 most years but as long as I have a tag I'm happy. I just don't like the idea of not taking a floater.

Last edited:

Inisisle

Reaction score
The pathway has been cleared and access is simple, easy and scenic once again. Many thanks to all involved.

Storkus

Reaction score
CATCH RETURNS 2020

We thank the 84% of our anglers who have made a catch return on time, we have one of the highest return rates on the system, but despite our repeated calls via social media, we still have 16% of our anglers to make a return for 2020.

This is a breach, under our fishery rules, in the conditions we have on issuing a permit.

Previously we issued a fine for those “late” returns when you wished to renew next season.

However due to the Covid-19 circumstances this year we are acutely aware that some may have more important things to deal with, as such The Faughan Anglers Limited is prepared to waive the normal fine if a return is made to the office by Monday 14th December.

If no return has been made by this date, then you will be deemed to be in breach of the fishery rules, this will have consequences for the following season.

If you have NOT made a return or have NOT received a confirmation receipt of a return done by email or online.

You can make a catch return in one of three ways

• online via our website
  • by email to our office, please include Permit number, name , address and details on any Sea Trout and Salmon Caught and released. If possible, include details of where caught and which method used Fly / Bait / Spin
  • by completing the paper returns sheet provided with your permit and returning to our office.

Website

Email

faughananglers@btconnect.com

Address

River Faughan Anglers Ltd.

Unit 3B Ballinaska Park,

Springtown Ind. Est.,

Derry

BT48 0NA

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
2020 Catch returns

Dear Permit Holders

We have finally got to count the returns for 2020. It was one of if not our highest return completion since we started asking for mandatory annual returns.

Only 7.5% of our anglers failed to submit a return for 2020. As per Fishery Rules They will now have to reapply for 2021 and submit a valid return before any further permits are issued for the Fishery. Reinforcing our policy of No Return No Permit.

To those of you who took the time to complete your returns by the deadline. A huge thank you. I think it would be fair to say that we have one of the most highly engaged pool of anglers in the Foyle area and Your data is an extremely important tool when it comes to Stock management of the Faughan.

For that we thank you and you deserve all the plaudits for caring about the furture of your fishery. Well Done to you all.

Your impressive record keeping give us a return of 92.5% for 2020 with:

53.55% submitted Catching 1 fish/trout or more

46.44% submitted Nil Returns. More on this later.

The full total Rod Catch from 53.55% of our anglers are as follows:

Salmon Cght -1256

Salmon Rlsd – 863 (68.7%)

Tout Cght – 915

Trout Rlsd – 596 (65.13%)

5 year Ave

Salmon 981.8 (R 56.78%)

Trout 800.2 (R65.04%)

Counter Total : 6300 (16th Oct 2020)

The above Catch stats can be seen represented in monthly increments and against previous years below to the graphs.

Counter figs are also represented against each counter in the Foyle system. Data Supplied from the Loughs Agency as Verified 16/10/20.

What it tells us:

1. From the anglers that submit an accurate return, conservation is at the forefront of that angler’s mind. The impressive voluntary return rates both annual (68%) and 5 year ave (65%) on Salmon & Trout is to be highly commended.

2. Forward thinking Faughan anglers clearly understand what is required for a healthy river and to allow for all our anglers to fish peacefully without any enforced changes on how our Fishery and tagging system has historically operated.

We would hope that we see only changes that help our anglers to spend more time on the river bamk, not less. Which is what happens by reducing tags available for 2021.

3. We have had our best season on the River since 2016 when 1236 were caught.

Although neither of these years surpass 2012 when 2711 salmon were caught on the Faughan.

2012 Counter 1824 - 2711 were cght

2016 Counter 3791 - 1236 were cght

2020 Counter 6300 - 1256 were cght

Counter V Rod Returns:

We have had a new counter installed for 2020 and it is a more accurate count. Further data over the next years will only help build a better picture of stock running the river.

The accuracy of our counter through the years has always been up for debate. What is clear from the data is that both the years 2012 and 2016 show either a higher or similar a rod catch as 2020 But 2020 excelled both years by 2 or 3 times the official Fish count on the river.

The pool of anglers has remained similar over the same period.

However, it still poses the question why 2020 reported catch was so low as there was evidently more fish in the river according to the now higher accuracy of the Fish pass this past season than the 2 bumper Rod catch years of 2012 & 2016.

While there are factors that dictate rod catch such as conditions that provide good angling days or available time that anglers get on the river through the general pressures of a busy life. In a year such as 2020 when he had good angling conditions, plenty of spare time due to lock down and a visibly higher angler presence on the river. It would have been fair to expect a higher Rod return than what is currently shown.

According to Angler returns 46% of our anglers failed to catch a single Trout or Salmon in 2020. We would query the accuracy of some of those nil returns.

Fishery Policy is set using data from many sources, such as redd Counts, smolt counts, counter figures and Rod catch returns. These all combined will determine the future of our fishery and how we are able to fish it.

We at RFA Ltd can prove currently that our river is self sustaining and healthy Fishery. That should be open to all methods and a sensible harvest. Which our responsible anglers are recording and helping us to achieve.

To enable us to keep open and operating for all our anglers, we require all catch data to be submitted correctly.

We would take the stance going forward that a purposely incorrectly submitted return will be taken as a non return and in breach of fishery rules.

Anyone found to be entering an inaccurate / false catch return will be deemed to be in breech of company rules and will have permit status revoked

We have a wonderful resource available to all anglers for all methods. Who cherish each and every day that they can spend on its banks.

The freedom to take a fish home without worrying about limiting your days to 2 or 3 visits. Is something that anglers should not have to worry about. We would ask that these few who, for whatever reason or agenda, do not submit accurate returns, please start to do so.

This river is for us all and it is currently able to support responsible Anglers. Please think before you submit the return and don’t take it away from others who enjoy it as much as you.

Thank You

Directors

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210130-142316.jpg
    Screenshot_20210130-142316.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210130_142030.jpg
    20210130_142030.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210130_142217.jpg
    20210130_142217.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210130_142536.jpg
    20210130_142536.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 29

Inisisle

Reaction score
Right, I've just had my second jab and I'm nearly ready to go.
But, as I'm not a fan of Facebook, I need some basic information.
When does the season open this year?

How many tags are allowed for Spring fish?
How many tags for Summer/Autumn fish?

Is there still a daily limit on seatrout?

When is bait fishing permitted for heretics like myself who are old and disabled?

Oh, and I paid for my permit online last month but I have not received it in the post yet.

Can I fish without the permit which I have paid for?

Have any new rules been introduced?

Have any old regulations been done away with?

When and if we beat this Covid-19 will we have Annual General Meetings again?

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Right, I've just had my second jab and I'm nearly ready to go.
But, as I'm not a fan of Facebook, I need some basic information.
When does the season open this year?

How many tags are allowed for Spring fish?
How many tags for Summer/Autumn fish?

Is there still a daily limit on seatrout?

When is bait fishing permitted for heretics like myself who are old and disabled?

Oh, and I paid for my permit online last month but I have not received it in the post yet.

Can I fish without the permit which I have paid for?

Have any new rules been introduced?

Have any old regulations been done away with?

When and if we beat this Covid-19 will we have Annual General Meetings again?

Hi Innis

We're open but no bait fishing to 20th May

Daily bag limits haven't changed but tags issued at the moment are 1 Blue 2 Black

If you've paid and have a receipt with details that match your loughs agency license ie name address etc then you're good to go until your permit arrives. Which hopefully will be in the next week or so.. then after we've issued them all you'll need your card to fish.

It's been a long winter so hope you get out soon

Tightlines

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Thanks for that FP.
Long winter? Well, it's been a long year.
Is that light that I see at the end of the tunnel?

Let's hope so..

But of an up date

2021 Permit Details

Hi Folks

We have now started printing permit cards for 2021.

We will be issuing these in batches from designated collection points and starting this Thursday and Friday between 1000am & 1230pm in the car park outside the old Faughan office in Springtown for anyone who wants to call and collect them.

The first batch that will be available will be permit holders who held a permit before the 2020 season.

Last year's New Anglers and this year's new anglers will be worked on over next week.

So please will these anglers who were new in last year and so far this year please wait for further details until we get their permit cards printed and circulated.

We appreciate your patience in allowing us this time to get your cards issued.

Thank you

RFA
Directors